The Books/Reading Thread

Lovecraft was an amazing, amazing author, but a horrible, horrible person.

yeah he was. Some of his letters are pretty hysterical when viewed from a modern perspective

I also heard he was one of America's most prolific letter writers...writing something near tens of thousands of letters in his lifetime

currently reading:
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon

left for the semester:
The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles (fuck you for writing such a long novel!)
World War Z by somebody er other
O, Pioneers! by Willa Cather

whatever

So I'm still trying to work my way through Dan Simmons' Fall of Hyperion. I think the story is very engaging and the ideas are unique, but Simmons is really starting to get on my nerves, mostly for the following reason: he always identifies an allusion after he uses it. Every time a character quotes a famous writer, Simmons has another character say "Oh, Yeats." Or after Gladstone gives a very familiar speech and asks how it was, someone says "Very inspirational; and borrowed from Churchill."

Fuck Simmons, we all know you're a learned, intelligent scholar. There's no need to remind us every time you drop a damned quote. It's insulting to the intelligence of the reader.

Lots of famous writers were. That doesn't make it right, but genius is almost always accompanied by strange beliefs/ideals.

or an even more strange lack of them. yep, i've been reading shakespeare again. :cool:

lovecraft's personality is p much indistinguishable from his writing anyway, i'm not even sure it's possible to read his stuff without empathising with his general insanity

Finished The Fall of Hyperion; I have to say, it was difficult to push through (what with the fucked up "dream" scenario and Simmons scrambling through improbable sci-fi technical jargon in order to make some sense of the incredibly complicated web he wove). However, the end made it all worthwhile; what an awesome, huge, epic conclusion. I'm not sure if I'll give the Endymion books a try; maybe someday...

I bought Cormac McCarthy's Suttree a few days ago, so that's next on the list, when I have time in between all the research I'm doing for my undergrad thesis.

Now that I'm working and spending quite a bit of time on the train, I'm working reading back into my schedule. Working on Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary right now. It's the book he started at age 22, and it's not as rough around the edges as I expected. It's got a bit of a Hemingway meets Bukowski thing going on right now, which is right up my alley. Not sure if there's going to be much of a plot here, as none has really surfaced over a third into the book. A quick read and enjoyable enough so far.

Just finished High Times' "Pot Smokers Handbook". two hundred pages, pretty goofy, mostly just a fun and quick read that gives you an idea of what youll find in the magazine and what the editors are all about. well smoking pot of course

Reading The Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs.

Also, just finsihed Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud.

So I'm still trying to work my way through Dan Simmons' Fall of Hyperion. I think the story is very engaging and the ideas are unique, but Simmons is really starting to get on my nerves, mostly for the following reason: he always identifies an allusion after he uses it. Every time a character quotes a famous writer, Simmons has another character say "Oh, Yeats." Or after Gladstone gives a very familiar speech and asks how it was, someone says "Very inspirational; and borrowed from Churchill."

Fuck Simmons, we all know you're a learned, intelligent scholar. There's no need to remind us every time you drop a damned quote. It's insulting to the intelligence of the reader.

Hyperion was better, but the second one is decent. And yeah in his sci-fi works he tends to make all his characters aware of previous literature, allowing him to easily comment on it through the characters within the context of their stories. It can be annoying, but I personally like it in some cases since I was generally not exposed to Yeats before reading Hyperion.

In all honesty, I would say he does a better job of incorporating previous literature into a sci-fi context with Ilium, as the discussions of literature between characters is narratively motivated and not done for allusion alone.

Also, just finsihed Civilization and Its Discontents by Sigmund Freud.

One of my favorites.

Currently reading:
000bfb11_medium.jpeg

And just ordered Xenophon's Persian Expedition and various dialogues by Plato from half.com.