The Books/Reading Thread

It was much shorter than I expected, and the first half could probably have been condensed even further. The main point was about meaning in life and the lack of it in bubblewrapped, feminized, technoglobacratic modernity (or maybe more accurately, post-modernity), and how or why this is a much bigger problem for men than women, and subsequently the author's vague offering of a solution. Nothing new there, but not a bad read either.

It's actually not a bigger problem for men - if it is a problem at all, it's equally a problem for both men and women. If the survivalist argument postulates that a feminized postmodernity poses a threat, then it poses a threat to all humanity, not just men.

If, on the other hand, there is some hypothetical way in which postmodern feminism poses a threat to masculinity while preserving its own survival, then I see this as a legitimate and necessary challenge to masculinity. I'd rather not have people like Jack Donovan telling me how to be a man.

It's actually not a bigger problem for men - if it is a problem at all, it's equally a problem for both men and women. If the survivalist argument postulates that a feminized postmodernity poses a threat, then it poses a threat to all humanity, not just men.

If, on the other hand, there is some hypothetical way in which postmodern feminism poses a threat to masculinity while preserving its own survival, then I see this as a legitimate and necessary challenge to masculinity. I'd rather not have people like Jack Donovan telling me how to be a man.

I haven't read his blogs so he may go this route elsewhere (didn't even bother to look it up until Ozz said something about it), but the point of that booklet? was not "learn to hunt because apocalypse". It basically assumed a future of more technomodernity, and was offering a counter coping approach to "herbivorous MGTOWing", resigned cog status, etc. Again, nothing new there, just another voice with a fairly organized and straightforward style.

I think stuff like this is the beginning of a swing back or at least push back against the metrosexualization/hyperidealization (in a philosophical sense) that has certainly engulfed western males in the last several decades. When brodudes, which are metrosexual as hell, are held up as examples of "macho culture" it's pretty obvious the "coup" has reached or is reaching is terminal point.

1603328-sb_eau.jpg

getting around to reading nick caves books soon

sometimes when you check work that musicians have done in other mediums it's pretty bad, but he's a great lyricist/storyteller so i'm not too worried

Finally finished Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.
I procrastinated and took my time (also started two other books whilst reading it because I can't control myself when I enter a library) but by the end I was very satisfied with the experience, absolutely great read!

Now I'm rereading this one, it's been years and man was it dusty!

alrrtpb.jpg

Wow, I read several of those Alien franchise novels a long time ago. I can remember taking them with me to my aunt's house during Christmas. My favorites are still the original spin-off trilogy: Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, and The Female War. Those were based on comic books too actually, which I also owned.

I also read Genocide, Alien Harvest, and Rogue, although I don't remember those ones as well. Can't recall if I read any others...

I'm currently reading J.G. Ballard's Crash:

crash.jpg

Finished the following books over the past couple of months:

The Eye of the World (Book 1 of Wheel of Time) by Robert Jordan. I know dak expressed some hesitance regarding the series and its quality long term. That being said, I really enjoyed The Eye of the World. It read real quickly, and the last 200 pages were pretty solid. Definitely gonna continue the series.

I'm at that point in the book right now (last 200 pages). Can't wait to finish it and go to the next one.

This looks interesting. Is it a history of science book, or more like a pop science book...?

Given that it's Nate Silver it's probably a stats book.

@WoT Series: It has its moments, but overall I felt like I wasted my time - to the point where I didn't bother with the last two books.

I've been enjoying the Ciaphas Cain 40k series.