The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
They've always stuck me as being more theatrical than musical. In short, all image, no substance.

Agreed. I also don't really understand the part about them selling out. When were they an underground band, cherished by Black Metal purists and enthusiasts? Their early material was basically a superficial, hyper-accessible and watered-down take on early Emperor. Under the surface, nothing has changed - they've just become increasingly ludicrous. I've never been able to find any worth whatsoever in this band.

Agreed. I also don't really understand the part about them selling out. When were they an underground band, cherished by Black Metal purists and enthusiasts? Their early material was basically a superficial, hyper-accessible and watered-down take on early Emperor. Under the surface, nothing has changed - they've just become increasingly ludicrous. I've never been able to find any worth whatsoever in this band.

your loss...

Because I feel that this band gets too much hate for selling out. Just because you make more accessible music doesn't mean it automatically goes to shit.
This is the last resort excuse.. the very last gasp of plead to change people's minds about a band. Why care so much? Like what you like. Go for the REAL idea of being 'metal' and not give a shit. 'Selling out' is supposed to be something rather bad. Selling out does not equate to having an accessible sound.. it simply points at a band's changed priorities, if you get my meaning.

Pre-Enthrone Darkness Triumphant was good, and that is about it. Then again though, keyboard BM isn't much of my thing anyway.

This was my first metal band. The first album i listen to was PEM, and i loved it, and i think it's their best. I don't fear to say that i simply love this band, one of my all time favorite bands, this band was the one who made me continue my journey into BM.

My goal here is twofold. First, I want to see just how many of us actually like this band, and second, by showing how respected this band actually is on this forum, no longer having to put up with comments like "...says the guy who likes Dimmu Borgir" and "Well you like DB, so your opinion is void." If we can move beyond that, I'd say we've accomplished something.

They've always stuck me as being more theatrical than musical. In short, all image, no substance.

I have to agree with this. They seemed to be touring a lot when Puritanical came out so I got to see them a few times during 2001-2002. Maybe two of those performances by them were great. The others felt like they really didn't give a fuck what they sounded like and just cared more about looking evil or whatever.

My goal here is twofold. First, I want to see just how many of us actually like this band, and second, by showing how respected this band actually is on this forum, no longer having to put up with comments like "...says the guy who likes Dimmu Borgir" and "Well you like DB, so your opinion is void." If we can move beyond that, I'd say we've accomplished something.

Good point. Those comments are pretty fucking juvenile, and they do happen a fair amount here.

when I say 'you like this album so ur opinion is void' i havent ever once said that seriously. stop taking everything seriously.

but this band is still gay as is this thread. IM CONFORMING TO THE DIMMU HATERS SO I CAN FIT IN

I have to agree with this. They seemed to be touring a lot when Puritanical came out so I got to see them a few times during 2001-2002. Maybe two of those performances by them were great. The others felt like they really didn't give a fuck what they sounded like and just cared more about looking evil or whatever.

With all due respect, how exactly does a band stand around a stage for a whole show trying to look evil? What specifically tipped you off to the fact that they were doing that? Did they bring out an altar and mutilate virgins? Maybe the sound system and acoustics where just trash at that particular show...

I dont get how anyone can dislike Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. No matter how true you are and how pseudo-evil you think this band is you cant deny the pure catchiness of this album,just really good metal is what it is. But on later albums i think they´ve replaced inspired riffs with technicality and these kind of start-stop riffs that a lot of uninspired metal bands use today.

Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is flawless in everyway and probably one of the most evil sounding albums in metal, next to SBD. Dimmu is the first black(ish) metal band i've ever listened to so i highly pay my respects to them. I've throughly enjoyed nearly every release until their latest, In Sorte Diaboli, which i found to not measure up to any prior material being very generic sounding but still didnt fall much less of decent.

There is not and never has been anything specific that immediately turned me off about them, and having been familiar with them for almost as long as I've been into extreme metal, I've tried getting into them several times over the years. But except for the excellent EDT, I've always ended up being fairly indifferent to them.

It's certainly not their popularity or increasing accessibility that bug me, as most of my favorite black/black-ish metal bands aren't particularly obscure. It's also not the overly carnival-esque keyboard-driven riffs. I just think there's a certain feel or attitude in their writing that usually keeps it from having much depth or intensity. Not that shallow or light-hearted is inherently bad since I listen plenty of such music, but DB comes across as a band trying to create a genuinely intense, sinister listening experience yet falling short somewhere along the line. I'd rather listen to an equally slandered band like Cradle of Filth who seems more intentionally goofy and tongue-in-cheek, not one who seems so by accident. But MOST bands (black metal or otherwise) have the same problem, so it would be silly to single them out.

Also, I hate to be another person whining about that clicky, polished, overproduced sound of many recent albums, but it really DOES grate on my ears sometimes and makes this band all the more difficult to digest sometimes.

Yes, PEM would sound incredible with a SBD-style production.

I often fantasize that Shagrath leaves the band and Vortex takes over all vocal duties.