The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
I agree with Unfaithfully Metalhead that Shagrath is the better vocalist for Dimmu. Anyone like Silenoz on For All Tid better than Shagrath?

Yep, Enthrones simply a great album in every way you looka t it IMHO. inculding the vocals work by Shagrath'. IMHO any vocalist that uses digital vocals will never be a top notch vocalist.

I actually liked the vocal effects Shagrath used on PEM etc, though I do agree his voice was better in the late 90's than it is now.

I voted "Stormblåst", as I always felt that that album somehow captured the spirit of the era. In '96, it was clear that black metal was rapidly changing from a focused scene with something that could almost be perceived as a joined vision, into several niches with a entirely different musical vision than anyone could even have dreamed of only two years earlier. "Stormblåst", for a brief moment, captured the essence of the genre the way it was - or rather, the way it felt; ethereal, fleeting, dying - and I always appreciated that. I partly withdrew from the scene a year later to focus on my education, and "Stormblåst" always felt like a fitting goodbye.

^The song Antikrist from the original Stormblast sounds beter than the one on MMV, I'm guesing most everything on there is better than MMV.

The original Stormblast is the only release I don't own. I've heard a couple songs from it and it sounded so incredibly thin, even by the standards of its contemporaries. Perhaps I should buy it and see what I'm missing.

I own the original Stormblast album, I had it signed by the band on the SBD tour right when they just recruited Barker. I talked with Vortex abit about Emperor, he said Inno a Satana is what made him want to play Black metal, and asked our opinions about them. I actually saw them at the same place were Dimebag was killed, this was before it happened of course.

I personally feel that Stormblåst despite being a fairly good release, is a rather dull and monotonous listen for the most part. There’s a couple good songs and some great parts found here and there, but overall I think the album just really really drags on. It’s almost like every single track has the same exact melody and mood to it, and to me the album just seems to blend together. I guess I like the odd keyboard part, but the guitar, drumming, and vocals just aren't particularly interesting or worthwhile imo.

Commenting on this thread for the first time...
Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is my favortite while For All Tid is my least. I really enjoy their whole discography tbh and I find it weird that Zeph refused to listen to them based on what people here think. I don't hide what I listen to at all, I'll listen to Agalloch and the next minute throw on All Shall Perish or something. I don't have days where i JUST listen to BM or DM for example since my tastes in metal are all over.

There was a span of time when I didn't listen to them much because I must have overlistened to PEM and DCA and found most other stuff worthwhile, but later on I came back to it all and realized that most of it was more rewarding than I was convinced there was. That happens to many people, but concerning this band is unusual since it's so regarded as a band you get into, then move beyond.

I first heard a few songs from PES, Kings Of The Carnival Creation, Puritania and Hybrid Stigmata, and loved it. But because I was at that time very little and used Limewire to download songs, I managed to download a few songs from For All Tid and original Stormblåst and nothing newer, listened to them and thought what the fuck. I didn't like them at all, so I kinda just listened to the couple songs from PES. Then I got by accident my hads on some later production and did some research and "found" the band again. I now have every album they hav , and the two best ones are IMHO PES and ISD. The newest one just has something in it that I like. But Kings Of The Carnival Creation is still my mos listened Dimmu-song.

Regarding Shagtath's vocals, I think the new vocals are better than the very first ones, but now with ISD they've come to the point where he's learned to sing them too well. He can do it without any difficulty and effort and you can actually hear that. It sounds a bit too relaxed and casual, so much that the lyrics themselves are actually quite easy to learn even without having to read them from somewhere.