The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
Extreme Blackened Symphonic Metal, or Black Metal? I'll take Occam's razor to this, but my definition of Black Metal is relatively inclusive. What specific genre or sub-genre it falls into should have no bearing on how you appreciate the music.

Zeph, you're right, of course, but the point of this is to figure out where Dimmu fall genre-wise.

I'd say that whatever they play, there are definitely strong, strong elements of black metal.

Luckily we only have to figure out what they are currently (the Death thread wasn't this specific). Currently, they are the Blackened Symphonic Metal. I tend to file anything "blackened" under Black Metal. Their core elements still have a lot of BM, but less so than on prior albums.

Luckily we only have to figure out what they are currently (the Death thread wasn't this specific). Currently, they are the Blackened Symphonic Metal. I tend to file anything "blackened" under Black Metal. Their core elements still have a lot of BM, but less so than on prior albums.

ok, sure, I'd agree with this.
this could be merged...or closed.

Yes, Dimmu Borgir is black metal, but they haven't sounded so much like traditional black metal since Stormblast/Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, and even EDT includes speed metal riffing.

I just took a look at the Dimmu Borgir thread and...
Zeph, in what way is Deicide accessible or "a gateway band?"

No. Their sound is MUCH more in line with a Gothic metal sound than ANYTHING black metal.

That'd be like calling Death's Symbolic death metal when it is obviously a thrash album.

I'd say they are black metal but they do share a lot of common ground with melodic death metal bands

not this again. the death discussion has spilled into the worthless dimmu discussion...
lock thread, please!

Few things create such controversy as genres within the metal community. What is true black metal anyway? Everyone has their interpretations anyway. To some the use of keyboards is a big taboo to be "true". However most consider Emperor to be true. Euronomyous considered black metal simply to be music with satanic lyrics (which I strongly disagree with - black metal has more to do with music than lyrics).

Labels and genres can help finding similar bands but it can also limit ones listening to certain bands that often gets hate for "not being true to their roots" or whatever. So basically there is good and bad music. Listen to what you consider good and dont listen to the bad stuff. Its that easy really.

listening to the samples off the new album. this is pretty good, but I actually must amend my opinion (which was based off Stormblast MMV and Death Cult Armaggedon). This is actually almost devoid of black metal. I'd call it blackened symphonic thrash, probably...

No. Their sound is MUCH more in line with a Gothic metal sound than ANYTHING black metal.

I wouldn't call it gothic metal. We could go with simplicity and call it extreme symphonic metal. They employ elements of black metal.

I don't like that Nightwish are called gothic metal either. They're symphonic power metal.