The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
It's a shame to feel the need to hide band you like. Whatever you're into, some people will hate it. There's always some guy who tries to bang your head against the wall and say "well, that band SUCKS! listen to THIS band instead, it is much harder/cooler and more melodic/trashy/skillful/emotional/soulful/whatever". I'm not listening to metal so that other people can be impressed or disgusted by my taste of music... It's not an image-thing, I listen to it because it gives me something. Whatever it may be.

And, if someones primary goal is to fit in (in life, music forums etc) you have kind of chosen the wrong genre to be interested in ;)

When it comes to Dimmu Borgir, I like some of the songs... I got some fine memories to one of them at least ;) the new album ISD is more like star wars-metal or something.

I saw them in Gothenburg this summer. I really looked forward to it, but honestly I was disappointed. When compared to the other bands that played at Metaltown (such as Dark Tranquillity) Dimmu Borgir felt... (can't describe it better than in the swedish word) "skitnödigt". And the sound was... well.. not as good as I had hoped. They took themselves too seriously. Not my cup of tea. I'm afraid me and Dimmu are breaking up after that performance :( ;)

Dimmu Borgir was one of my first black metal bands (or at least, exposed me to the world of black metal, if you don't consider them black), and after listening through their entire discography, I don't find them to be deserving of the criticism they get from purists. Musically, they have only transformed and evolved, not sold out; lyrically, they've only become more hateful and Satanic as their popularity has increased.

Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is their magnum opus, IMO.

Speaking of such bands, I strongly recommend SETHERY for any fan of mid-era Dimmu Borgir.

Nothing against you but I think Sethery is crap and unoriginal.... there is better Dimmu clone out there...... Ad Inferna from France is a good exemple, also Thyrane's first full lenght, Symphony of Infernality is excellent.

Speaking of Ad Inferna, they're releasing a new album this year!

Also, Riul Doamnei is band who closely resembles Dimmu Borgir.

Liking what I'm hearing on Ad Inferna's myspace page. Sounds a lot like Spiritual Black Dimensions. Perfect.

Speaking of Ad Inferna, they're releasing a new album this year!

If it be this Metamorphose demo track I'm hearing, it looks like they've caught the French Industrial Black Metal contagion. Never a bad thing.

Also, Riul Doamnei is band who closely resembles Dimmu Borgir.

Checked them out a while ago. Solid stuff, but I haven't found where I could buy their album.

"Kings of the Carnival Creation"

And Galder is overrated. Astennu wrote much better riffs.
no.... Better riffs is debatable but that notwithstanding Galder is a better overall guitarist and I don't mean just in the BM genre but in metal in general... his leads and harmonizations are really good...

Dimmu Borgir was one of my first black metal bands (or at least, exposed me to the world of black metal, if you don't consider them black), and after listening through their entire discography, I don't find them to be deserving of the criticism they get from purists. Musically, they have only transformed and evolved, not sold out; lyrically, they've only become more hateful and Satanic as their popularity has increased.

Enthrone Darkness Triumphant is their magnum opus, IMO.
exactly... evolution not selling out... I think if they kept doing the same style over and over and didn't try new things they would be boring and not heard from again...

I used to love Dimmu but for some reason they no longer really appeal to me.. the symphonic aspect lost its charm. Still have my DCA shirt though.

I reckon that their evolution stems from them selling out, ISD is the epitome of sell out, still enjoy the odd song, but ISD is really, really, very shit though.

Let's just say both are underrated though I like Galder better...

no.... Better riffs is debatable but that notwithstanding Galder is a better overall guitarist and I don't mean just in the BM genre but in metal in general... his leads and harmonizations are really good...

I prefer Astennu because he added character and a new dimension to the band with his style - his riffs and solos fit in perfectly with Spiritual Black Dimensions for example. And even though he was only with the band for a couple releases I think his style is more appealing than Galder's.

I know Dimmu has never been a guitar-driven band at all and I'm not sure what kind of a role Galder had on writing on PEM if any, but post-PEM, Dimmu's music has been really bland and dull guitar-wise. Maybe it's because of their more symphonic-minded approach but in any case, I think Galder tends to recylce a lot of the same stuff and could use more variety.

All the while I've been on this forum, I've seen this band trashed left and right. For some time I tried to hide my love for this band, to the point that I limited my listens to it so that it wouldn't show up in my last.fm sig. But I've decided, fuck it. I love this band, and find none of their albums to be remotely terrible. Of course, some albums are greater than others.

For laughs I've included a "best album" poll but that's not what this discussion is limited to. I want to get to the root of why this band, which has created great music, is so abhorred by so many people who claim to be beyond the "wading in" stages of metal fandom.

Undoubtedly this band has incorporated more accessible elements into its sound since Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, but I fail to see how that automatically voids their listenability to true metal fans who like other gateway bands such as Deicide or Iron Maiden just as much as those just getting into metal.

Please note that I respect that their music flat out doesn't appeal to some people. I only have a problem with those people who trash this band purely to boost their personal "kvlt factor". I'm sick of seeing this band referred to as a "guilty pleasure" for those who like it but are embarrassed to listen to it in a group of elite metalheads. Then again, it could just be me.

IMO, Spiritual Black Dimensions is their peak. It combines the fantastic melodies of EDT with a step up in symphonic complexity and atmosphere.

I never considered Dimmu Borgir as a "guilty pleasure". In fact Dimmu Borgir were one of those bands who got me deeper into metal. I remember I started with Spiritual Black Dimensions and to this day it is their best album in my opinion. Mainly because it hasn't got those weird synthetic voices just like in DCA or PEM.

I still listen to them but I know that they are not really standing out in black metal genre, at least I think so. Now they are popular and have only GOOD albums, nothing great as SBD. I repeat, I still listen to them and I don't consider them as a grim and kvlt black metal disgrace or whatever.