The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
I think Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is now probably my favorite Dimmu Borgir CD, its riffing is better than Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and so are Shagrath's vocals. The symphonics also seem to have more variety than EDT as well.

I think people started to hate them when "The Best Black Metal Band in the Universe" was written on the main page of their website in 1999.

That was pretentious as fuck.

EDIT: Furthermore, I'm just curious. How many Dimmu fans have heard Bishop of Hexen? I personally think they're a must for Dimmu fans; very dark, evil symphonic metal.

I just listened to The Nightmarish Compositions over the weekend, and holy fuck that is good. The melodic hooks don't hold up to Dimmu's better albums, but they more than make up for it in atmosphere and elegance.

I also listened to Covenant's Nexus Polaris, but was not too impressed.

I like the unusual melodies on The Nightmarish Compositions. It's orchestrations are more complex and not as blatantly melodic.

I think Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is now probably my favorite Dimmu Borgir CD, its riffing is better than Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and so are Shagrath's vocals. The symphonics also seem to have more variety than EDT as well.

o_O

I wouldn't be suprised if this was only your opinion. EDT and SBD are Dimmus classics, nothing after them.

+10

I like the unusual melodies on The Nightmarish Compositions. It's orchestrations are more complex and not as blatantly melodic.
Nothing wrong with being blatantly melodic...

^I don't mind the synthetic voices, I just don't like Shagrath's rasp being used only as a synthetic voice like in the song Puritania.
And I've heard Spiritual Black Dimensions has carnivalesque keys, are they like the trippy keyboard section in the middle of Architecture of a Genocidal Nature?

Well, the ones that are unusual (i.e. really winding/progressive) are pretty cool. But there are a lot of passages that just aren't that compelling melody-wise imo.

^One of my favorite vocalists is Shagrath, I like his croaks better than Abbath's.
Edit: At Belligerent.
Did anyone else get a Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia CD containing the Burn in Hell cover?

I've concluded that Dimmu Borgir's downfall was not so much the style of their music as they evolved, but more due to plain melody. Their albums from first to latest get less and less melodic as you go chronologically. Melody was always their main selling point to me, which explains why the melodic parts on DCA are the best sections (the piano part of "Cataclysm Children, for example), while the rest of their last two albums are very lacking in terms of melody. The only saving grace remaining has been the symphonics, which still appeal to me, but without good guitar riffs to harmonize, the experience is only half as good.

That said, PEM is their last record I would call "great".

DimmuBorgir-1998-GodlessSavageGarde.jpg
Listened to this for the first time in awhile today and realized just how good it is.

It's actually not that great. Just a couple of B-sides from EDT, two re-records, a cover, and live tracks. Worth listening, I admit.