The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
Yeah, the guitars have a thrash sound sometimes. That would be covered under the label "extreme symphonic metal."

To describe them we could say:

"Imagine if the antagonist in Rhapsody's storyline had his own band recounting his deeds; that band would be Dimmu Borgir."

EDIT: Furthermore, I'm just curious. How many Dimmu fans have heard Bishop of Hexen? I personally think they're a must for Dimmu fans; very dark, evil symphonic metal.

I absolutely love Bishop of Hexen. I remember The Nightmarish Compositions was my favourite album of 2006, and I'd say the best album I've heard in the past three years.

I have a really complex opinion about this band. Their works have inspired me to write many songs.

I feel that their music's appeal started to decline after the release of Death Cult Armageddon, it sounds less creative and passionate to me, and more commercial and typified.

The exception to this is Stormblast MMV. To the people who haven't heard it yet - you're missing out. It's a black metal masterpiece. It sounds unlike any of their new works. It is also unique as far as black metal goes.

I was disappointed when I saw Dimmu Borgir on their last tour, because most of the songs they played were off their later albums, which tend to disappoint me.

Still, I think that they're a great band that has really pushed the limitations of black metal. They've been met with success. I think everyone in the metal business partially and secretly wishes to be successful in some way.

I wish they sounded more like Thyrane.

What disappoints me most about this band is that they rarely play more than one song, two at the maximum, off of SBD when they play live.

I wouldn't call it gothic metal. We could go with simplicity and call it extreme symphonic metal. They employ elements of black metal.

I don't like that Nightwish are called gothic metal either. They're symphonic power metal.

they are Broadway metal

I absolutely love Bishop of Hexen. I remember The Nightmarish Compositions was my favourite album of 2006, and I'd say the best album I've heard in the past three years.

It's definitely one of the best that I've heard. Amazing compositions, and the mix of clean and harsh vocals work really well. It's some of the darkest symphonic music I've heard.

I've never heard Bishop of Hexen.

Definitely check them out. Both their full-length albums are good.

Now, with all this discussion about whether Dimmu is BM, I now ask,
Does Dimmu have to be Black Metal?
I mean, let's say Dimmu is black metal. Okay, what have we achieved by this? Nothing really. Let's the nsay Dimmu is not black metal. Does it change the music? I doubt it.
This is why I rarely categorize the music I listen to, and if someone asks what genre it is I just throw something that might be right for some of the songs but rarely any band stays the same throughout their entire discography, there's bound to be so much progression and development of skills that the music will change it's direction, either sharply or carefully, but it will.