The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
Because they're all from the same album, except for "Stormblast".

And you must have the expanded re-release which contains two more EDT live tracks.

It's actually not that great. Just a couple of B-sides from EDT, two re-records, a cover, and live tracks. Worth listening, I admit.

I don't recall "Moonchild Domain" and "Chaos Without Prophecy" being on EDT. But those two tracks alone make it worth buying. Some of Dimmu's most bleak, cerebral pieces, and utterly fantastic.

That's what B-sides are. Tracks that aren't good enough to make the cut, so they only appear as bonus tracks and/or part of compilation EP's.

Godless Savage Garden is a great EP. I think "Moonchild Domain" and "Chaos Without Prophecy" are just as strong as the material on EDT or SBD. Also, I think the tracks really bridge the gap between those two albums.

Tbh, it would be nice to hear a Dimmu album that's not so over-the-top noisy. I like the more doom-ish quality of Moonchild and Chaos.

I don't recall "Moonchild Domain" and "Chaos Without Prophecy" being on EDT. But those two tracks alone make it worth buying. Some of Dimmu's most bleak, cerebral pieces, and utterly fantastic.

Agreed, I wish they would record a full album like these two. The production & songwriting was amazing.

No. Their sound is MUCH more in line with a Gothic metal sound than ANYTHING black metal.

Do you even know what Gothic music is? it's hardly dimmu borgir.

IMO, Spiritual Black Dimensions is their peak. It combines the fantastic melodies of EDT with a step up in symphonic complexity and atmosphere.

Imo, I tend to believe EDT is far superior, SBD isn't really complex or anything, it just utlise a more disorted/electronic sound like Satyricon - Rebel Extravaganza.

While the atmosphere is great, none of the songs really stand as "masterpiece" like with EDT you have classic killer songs like Master Of Disharmony, Spellbound By The Devil, A Succubus In Rapture and In Deaths Embrace.

SBD is more downright evil sounding than EDT. EDT while still being extremely evil sounding is more on the depressing side. This is why both are my favorites.

I wonder what Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia actually means.

It's Dimmu's 'tradition' to use three word long album titles, and the title is meant to describe and cover the theme/lyrical content of the album, symbolically (like PEM, DCA etc)...so it doesn't make coherent sense if you're just reading the title without much thought or understanding of the band.

Do you know what gothic METAL is? That's what we're talking about.

Dimmu Borgir isn't a gothic, or gothic metal band in any variety. Though I would say that Spiritual Black Dimensions does contain gothic undertones - but aside from that, I really don't see any how they or anything else they've done is 'gothic.'

It's Dimmu's 'tradition' to use three word long album titles, and the title is meant to describe and cover the theme/lyrical content of the album, symbolically (like PEM, DCA etc)...so it doesn't make coherent sense if you're just reading the title without much thought or understanding of the band.

From what little of their lyrics I've taken the time to read, I really wouldn't consider it worth anyone's time to try to understand the 'true meaning' behind their album titles...

Dimmu Borgir isn't a gothic, or gothic metal band in any variety. Though I would say that Spiritual Black Dimensions does contain gothic undertones - but aside from that, I really don't see any how they or anything else they've done is 'gothic.'

I think "gothic metal" is just a term people have resorted to as a substitute for "black metal". If you don't consider them black metal, you can always just call them symphonic [extreme] metal.

From what little of their lyrics I've taken the time to read, I really wouldn't consider it worth anyone's time to try to understnad the 'true meaning' behind their album titles...

Well, I guess what I was getting at was that there really isn't one, literal meaning behind titles like PEM or DCA. There's no true meaning, or anything deeply profound and philosophical...It's just a symbolic representation of the album.

I think "gothic metal" is just a term people have resorted to as a substitute for "black metal". If you don't consider them black metal, you can always just call them symphonic [extreme] metal.

Well, it's also likely that people consider them to be 'gothic' because of their makeup/image - and the fact that they are often lumped into the same category with bands like Cradle of Filth, who are vastly different contrary to popular opinion. But as far as a I know Dimmu is mainly influenced by black metal, 80's heavy metal and thrash, I'm not sure that they have any gothic roots at all.