The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
All the while I've been on this forum, I've seen this band trashed left and right. For some time I tried to hide my love for this band, to the point that I limited my listens to it so that it wouldn't show up in my last.fm sig. But I've decided, fuck it. I love this band, and find none of their albums to be remotely terrible. Of course, some albums are greater than others.

For laughs I've included a "best album" poll but that's not what this discussion is limited to. I want to get to the root of why this band, which has created great music, is so abhorred by so many people who claim to be beyond the "wading in" stages of metal fandom.

Undoubtedly this band has incorporated more accessible elements into its sound since Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, but I fail to see how that automatically voids their listenability to true metal fans who like other gateway bands such as Deicide or Iron Maiden just as much as those just getting into metal.

Please note that I respect that their music flat out doesn't appeal to some people. I only have a problem with those people who trash this band purely to boost their personal "kvlt factor". I'm sick of seeing this band referred to as a "guilty pleasure" for those who like it but are embarrassed to listen to it in a group of elite metalheads. Then again, it could just be me.

IMO, Spiritual Black Dimensions is their peak. It combines the fantastic melodies of EDT with a step up in symphonic complexity and atmosphere.

I fucking HATE dimmu borgir, and what they've become. I did love their first 2 albums though.

However, you should never be ashamed of liking them! Like don't hide it in my opinion. It's you right to like whatever you like, and other ppl can just die in a fire.

I don't think that's going to help tbh.

It's basically using big words to establish a perverted irony. "Puritanical" means "strict to religious devotion" while "Euphoric" describes something that causes intense feelings of excitement, while "Misanthropia" is a Latinism of "misanthropy" which is the practice of disliking mankind.

So to put the title in more plebeian terms, it means "Religious Orgasm through Hatred to Mankind". Imagine achieving a sense of euphoria while engaging in a Satanic ritual.

This is just my interpretation. I haven't researched whatever the band might have meant by it.

So to put the title in more plebeian terms, it means "Religious Orgasm through Hatred to Mankind". Imagine achieving a sense of euphoria while engaging in a Satanic ritual.

To be honest, I believe these "3-random-words" titles are just mean to sound pseudo-intellectual to impress teenagers ;) There is a website were you can randomly generate dimmu borgir song title.... it's pretty damn funny.

Do you know what gothic METAL is? That's what we're talking about.

WE?! I wasn't talking to you. I'm sure you don't even know what gothic music/metal is since you use it to describe bands you don't like.

YEAH, SHOW EM, GUY WHO DOESN'T POST HERE ANYMORE!!!!

That does it, first you disparage Necrophagist, now you bump posts from that french guy?!

GREAT DUKE OF HELL ABIGOR, GO BACK WHENCE YOU CAME

I wouldn't say anything can top EDT form their discography. And to be honest, its not that I don't like them, theres just a bunch of other bands I would much rather listen to.

Why did I vote for EDT when I could've voted Stormblast. :erk:

EDT is good (their last good album in fact) but still :(

the only thing that i can even remember from this band is the third track from EDT and The Insight and the Catharsis from SBD. other than that, i guess this band is entirely forgettable.

ill vote SBD since it has so few.

Should've voted for PEM. It has ALL the elelments of a metal album I should hate(stupidly dense sound, processed vocals, overtriggered drums), but I....just love ito_O

I don't share the hate for DM that so many metal fans have. I can't say they are on any regular rotation, but I pull out PEM and EDT from time to time and I always enjoy both albums immensely. I even enjoy DSA quite a bit, as well as Stormblast.

I voted for PEM, but it could have just as easily gone to EDT.

Actually, the most grating thing about PEM for me is the processed vocals. Other than that, it flows really well despite being smothered by overproduction.