The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
I like engaging rhythms. Darkthrone doesn't have them.Even their best album is all over the place(Soulside Journey). Rigid structure beats spastic baboonery.Always! In my opinion.

It means something I can follow through without interruption from beginning to end without ever wondering :"why the the hell did they put that transition there?".

Yeah, but remember that you're listening to black metal. I wouldn't really call a "cluttered" sound uncommon in the genre.

I feel like you're a little over-specific in what you want out of a metal band. Whatever I guess.

Yea, sorry. I'm just more into rock than metal currently. There aren't many extreme metal albums that have stuck with me through the years, save for a handful few.

PEM is hard to take seriously, but it's full of great moments when the symphonics, drumming and riffs all come together and it's wonderful. SBD achieves this much more coherently and consistently.

Vocals are the biggest drawback of PEM. They're just awful. As for taking stuff seriously, well, it's subjective.
I mean, some people take Cryptopsy seriously, but I find them almost unlistenable.

SBD is great, but I feel that PEM has the edge mostly because the symphonic elements are so fucking cool.
As for Cryptopsy, Whisper Supremacy is the only album I really like. I like how they blend all elements of the different sub-genres of death on that album (elements of tech, melodic, and brutal throughout).

Grant, it may surprise you to know that I do not care much for their first two albums. If I want that kind of sound, I would much rather listen to many other bands. Nothing much charms me from them.

That's interesting, which bands do you consider a better version of early Dimmu? I would have to listen to this.

The only Dimmu albums I listen to with frequency are EDT through DCA. All four of those albums are more unique with regards to the rest of the Metal to which I listen, and though there are a ton of bands that do have Dimmu's mid-era sound, Dimmu does it much better. Most big-production sympho-BM fails at writing good melodies either for the symphonics or the guitar.

Yeah, no doubt much of Dimmu's greatness comes from their sense of melody, even if it takes more than that to really make their music work.

In Sorte Diaboli is near total garbage. Their ability to write melodies vanished, and the theatrical value, which has always been silly, has crept too much into the music by now.

Sounds like you've come quite a long way from considering the album "good but not one of their best". I'm glad to see this. :)