The Dimmu Borgir Thread

Best Album

• Total voters
I voted Stormblast which had an original atmospheric sound at the time. I used to think Dimmu was a cool band, but I can honestly say its been down hill for me ever since DCA. I enjoyed SBD, and thought they were on the right path with that guitarist for that album. I can also say I am dissapointed with the unoriginality and basicness of IN Sorte Diaboli, I feel its somewhat overated and the songs could of had much more depth, complexity, and feel like SBD songs. I felt Galder could of wrote some epic twisted leads or guitar harmonies, but hardly proved nothing as if he wasted all his material for Old Mans child. SIlenoz seems burnt out, Im sure he is spoiled, a rich spoiled Norweigan. I feel they need to up their game musicaly, and bring back some of the older haunting elements, and atmoshpheres which made me want to hear them in the first place. Shagrath used to pour blood all over himself, he doesn't do cool stuff like that anymore.

I've moved beyond trying to fit in here. There is a great pressure here to conform or else be criticized.

I've never tried to fit in here or on other music forums. There's no point.

I don't like Dimmu Borgir at all, but it's definitely better for you to admit to liking them than hiding from it to the point where you don't listen to them even though you want to.

The quality riffing declined after Astennu left. Y'all should check out Covenant's Nexus Polaris if you want to hear more of that guitarist.

I enjoy Dimmu a lot, I think the song Sorgens Kammer Del ll really got me into them. That song completely and thoroughly kicks ass. I did enjoy their latest actually, its a fun listen. I think my favorite part was in the song The Chosen Legacy about a minute from the end when Hellhammer does like fuckin 300bpm or something crazy on the double bass. But I really want to get some older Dimmu, the only things I have is ISD and Stormblast MMV.

Anyway, to restate my position, Dimmu Borgir were amazing songwriters in the '90s (though at this point their songwriting has pretty much become generic shit) with some of the greatest melodies in metal. From my observation, most of the people who call them bad either don't care for accessible music at all, or can't deal with the idea of a black metal band sounding accessible.

From my observation, most of the people who call them bad either don't care for accessible music at all, or can't deal with the idea of a black metal band sounding accessible.

I'm neither one. They're just genuinely nothing to write home about.

I'm neither one. They're just genuinely nothing to write home about.

How many times are you going to say this? We already know what you think about this band.

Anyway, I picked DCA only because Progenies of the Great Apocalypse is the best song evarz

Mathiäs;7484263 said:
How many times are you going to say this? We already know what you think about this band.

I'll say it as many times as the same 3 or 4 people on this board feel the need to say that everyone who doesn't like this band dislikes them for stupid and completely bullshit reasons.

All the while I've been on this forum, I've seen this band trashed left and right. For some time I tried to hide my love for this band, to the point that I limited my listens to it so that it wouldn't show up in my last.fm sig. But I've decided, fuck it. I love this band, and find none of their albums to be remotely terrible.

You were embarassed to be a fan of this band? Dude I listen to all kinds of that would cause mass seizures on this forum. And you know what? I never have and never will give a flying fuck what other people think of the music I listen to. That's the way everyone should look at it, and if someone has a problem with it, then they are clearly a moron.

But anyways, SBD is my favorite because it slays.

I've moved beyond trying to fit in here. There is a great pressure here to conform or else be criticized.

I am not sure that I agree, although I have not been as deeply involved in as many discussions as you, obviously. Also, I am old.

I think the pressure one feels in a place like this is proportional to how great their desire is to be accepted. I also think that, generally speaking, fans of black metal are less tolerant and more critical of each other. They tend to see themselves more as elitists.

There are a ton of people here who, while they will criticize plenty of bands, are very accepting of an individual if that individual conducts themselves in a worthy manner. And although we disagree on many bands, there is typically enough overlap to develop a mutual respect. From what I've seen the most harshly targeted posters are always those who act like idiots, rather than those who simply make the mistake of liking Pantera.

For All Tid and Stormblast are good. The newer albums, not so much. They are enjoyable on the first couple of listens but honestly lack any kind of real emotion or atmosphere to give them any sort of play back value.

I've heard everything from Stormblast to PEM. Stormblast was my favorite, but it really is not all that great. Their best moment is The Insight and the Catharsis.

They've always stuck me as being more theatrical than musical. In short, all image, no substance.

Great thread Zeph. Finally someone steps up.

I vote Enthrone. It's a fucking sick album.

He'll yeah! i agree on Enthrone.

I own a full discography of Dimmu and i am a fellow fan just like Zeph here. i do agree they lost alot of what they had in their early albums but not to the point where i just throw them out my window and never listen to them again because they did do a Meyhem murder fest.

He'll yeah! i agree on Enthrone.

I own a full discography of Dimmu and i am a fellow fan just like Zeph here. i do agree they lost alot of what they had in their early albums but not to the point where i just throw them out my window and never listen to them again because they did do a Meyhem murder fest.

Exactly, they were better, but their new stuff even though not as good as their older, is still enjoyable to listen to.

All the while I've been on this forum, I've seen this band trashed left and right. For some time I tried to hide my love for this band, to the point that I limited my listens to it so that it wouldn't show up in my last.fm sig. But I've decided, fuck it. I love this band, and find none of their albums to be remotely terrible. Of course, some albums are greater than others.

For laughs I've included a "best album" poll but that's not what this discussion is limited to. I want to get to the root of why this band, which has created great music, is so abhorred by so many people who claim to be beyond the "wading in" stages of metal fandom.

Undoubtedly this band has incorporated more accessible elements into its sound since Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, but I fail to see how that automatically voids their listenability to true metal fans who like other gateway bands such as Deicide or Iron Maiden just as much as those just getting into metal.

Please note that I respect that their music flat out doesn't appeal to some people. I only have a problem with those people who trash this band purely to boost their personal "kvlt factor". I'm sick of seeing this band referred to as a "guilty pleasure" for those who like it but are embarrassed to listen to it in a group of elite metalheads. Then again, it could just be me.

IMO, Spiritual Black Dimensions is their peak. It combines the fantastic melodies of EDT with a step up in symphonic complexity and atmosphere.

:kickass: great band. i agree with you on SBD its my fav by them also with EDT just a hair behind (though i listen to it more often). first DB cd i ever owned however was "godless..." i loved it immediately and went out and bought SBD and it fucking made my hair stand on end. great shit. fuck the haters.