the dynamite politics thread

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MagSec4 again.​
:D

Siren: Well isn't that just swell

Speaking of politics.. anybody else still think it's hilarious that Arnold Schwarzzenegger is a Governor now? :D

I am, and always have been, seriously fine with the idea though. I think he'd even do a better job than any other politician. At the very least he can't possibly be worse than them.
(In general I have no respect for politicians in power. Otherwise this world wouldn't be so fucked up )

Steve said:
I think it's pretty fucked up that Arnold won, since he really didn't have any qualifications...
Well, he kinda does:

IMDb said:
Graduated from University of Wisconsin-Superior with a major in
international marketing of fitness and business administration. [1979]

Source: Biography for Arnold Schwarzenegger - IMDb
I am sure that is much more training than he had for acting and well,
I think, he will do a better job at it, then he does at acting ;)

Actually when you think about it, he will be a politician, so in that sense
he won't be all that far from his "day job", both take bullshitting skills
anyway.

Unfortunately none of the candidates would've been great, but I still don't think Arnold is a good choice. And his acting skills aren't even strong in the way of bullshit since he's mainly a stereotypical coll tough guy.

(I might be wrong on some of this)

the only problem with this kind of news is that you never know whether they're true. the whole search for Saddam Hussein is shrouded in mistery - why didn't they catch him sooner? and is it really him?
anyway, let's be optimistic - we cannot "celebrate with gunfire" as the troops in Iraq are doing, apparently, but it's just as well.

They've done the DNA tests, both with previous samples, and with samples taken from his sons, and they're definite its him. As to the shrouding it in mystery, when you're trying to capture someone as elusive as Saddam is, you don't announce your movements, you keep it quiet until at least a day after the capture; that way they can't defend or alternatively rescue him. They're going to put him on trial (supposedly by Iraqi people in the jury and deciding his sentence) in the new year.
This is a very good day for the people of Iraq, and I wish them the best, and the peace, stability and tolerance that they so deserve.

1. i'm positive it's him
2. the dna test takes much longer
3. we will never know when they actually caught him
4. it's xmas
5. he won't make it to the trial. there are still things only death can guarantee.

1. Me too.
2. Well, there's video footage of the mouth scrape going around now, and to receive information verifying DNA is becoming quite quick.
3. I guess we have to adopt a wait and see attitude.
4. No you foolish dwarf, its December the 14th, Xmas is 11 days away :D
5. That's the most stupid thing that could possibly happening. His 'death' will prevent all the positive aspects that would be granted to the Iraqi people, and could make the situation, if anything, more volatile. If he died, the next best thing would be to show his body, as done with his sons.

I am surprised USA didn't whimp out on this one as well, after
achieving the goal of the attack.

Also I am wondering what kind of an "accident" he will have.

Kinda funny, I found out about this watching a show on TV and
they had a news extra cos of this. Now in this news extra they
have some US spokesperson going on something along the lines
"For decades you have been blahblahblah by this man"
the only thing I kept wondering how many people remember who
put this man up there?

Yeah, I concur. The problem with a free Hussein is that the illusion of his 'return' could encourage the small hordes of fanatics Baathists to keep on fighting, while they wait for their leader to return in his full glory. If he's in custody or dead (but Ben is right: if he dies, the body must be shown, otherwise people will believe that he's escaped or something) then at least a part of his supporters will renounce the ambition of restoring his dictatorship.

Dark_Jester said:
Salami - who cares, he's gone now, and for the Iraqi people, I'm sure thats what matters most.

I for one care. I wouldn't be surprised to see another
Saddam on the throne in 5-10 years from now.

Well, for the Iraqi peoples it's good of course... for
now... remember the US troops are still there and
trading one regime for another is not a victory at all.

Salamurhaaja said:
I kept wondering how many people remember who
put this man up there?

Me too, who put him there and who kept him there? The lives of common people don't matter much when it comes to world politics (or should I say, US politics? names such as Pinochet and Bin Laden spring to mind as well...)

Anyway.
Yeah, it's good that he's caught, I hope he gets the sentence he deserves- And I think it's in the best interest of the US if he stays alive and well at least until his trial, as he could quite possibly become a martyr to some if he were to mysteriously die wherever they keep him...

...and his inspiring facial expressions. :p
:lol: :lol: I saw a clip from his speech to the nation on CNN yesterday and I almost thought that he had got a dose of anaesthetics in his face at the dentist or something. He barely moved his lips! :lol: (sorry for getting ridiculous in this serious thread).

And now to something completely different: CoT's opinion in the current question.
- I do also think it is him. I also hope that there will be less terror in Iraq from now. I also guess that Saddam won't be held captured in Iraq for the risk of his "minions" trying to set him free. The only thing that disturbs me a little is that it is a success for G.W. Bush. I neither like that man nor his politics. :bah:

I, for one, like G. W. Bush's politics (I don't have an opinion on the man, and I don't think it's necessary to have one to take a political stand). I was surprised by the fact that the Financial Times, of all papers, did publish a timeline of Saddam's reign today, giving the facts about the US financing him during the conflict against Iran. It's a weird editorial choice for the FT, normally known to be conservative. I wonder why it happened.