the dynamite politics thread

Originally posted by Salamurhaaja
and of course the press is all full of shit all over the world, that still don't make it justified, they are supposed to report news, not make them.

that's right. and i wasn't justifying, merely not calling americans ignorant. or well, they're just as ignorant as we - the italians - are.

it's hard to be squeaky-clean when it comes to reporting news on politics, obviously because of the interests involved. even respectable newspapers in the most liberal nations do choose a rather subjective way to tell the story. i guess on this topic what sets the vast majority of western democracies apart from dictatorships is the fact that you can go out and buy newspapers telling the same story from different angles at about the same price.
if there was just one readable version (be it, in this case, either pro- or against-war) i'd find it a lot more worrying.

rahvin.

True, but how many people you know that actually buy/read more than one newspaper, I don't know many.

I have to say I am a bit laxed on that part too, but I tend to read at least 4 newspapers (headlines mainly) a day, 2 finnish, 1 american and 1 english, thats all I have time for, I read too much technology news, so the real news gets pushed aside most times.

Originally posted by Salamurhaaja
True, but how many people you know that actually buy/read more than one newspaper, I don't know many.

just one - my former philosophy teacher - but she only does that to feed her ego. ;)

i know, the results of partial press is often a misinformed/misguided public, since the reasons why we buy a certain newspaper are rarely based on us double-checking the informations provided and choosing the one we find adheres most to the truth.
of course we read the newspapers we've seen our parents/friends/coworkers/mentors read, thus inheriting the bias. however, there is at least the chance to be misled in a variety of different directions, although we do not get to have control on all of them. it might be argued that we don't get to have control on what we're taught when we're young either, so i guess to a lesser or greater degree the responsibility to outgrow habits and traditions when we find them unsuitable or flawed is still on the individual.

rahvin.

yet another attempt to appear a "Democracy" or could it actually work this time?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/02/13/anti.war.lawsuit.ap/index.html

Suit challenges Bush war authority

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- A group of U.S. soldiers, parents of soldiers and six U.S. House members filed a lawsuit in federal court Thursday seeking to stop the president from launching a war against Iraq without a declaration of war from Congress.

The lawsuit seeks an immediate injunction against Bush and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to prevent them from launching an invasion of Iraq.

Reps. John Conyers, D-Michigan, and the other plaintiffs in the lawsuit say a resolution passed by Congress in October did not specifically declare war and unlawfully ceded the decision to Bush.

Conyers cited an excerpt from Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution that states, "Congress shall have power ... to declare war."

"Get it? Only Congress," Conyers said Thursday at a news conference in Washington.

John Bonifaz, the Boston attorney who filed the lawsuit, said Bush is rushing to war without seeking approval or even a thorough debate by Congress.

"We have a message for President Bush today -- read the Constitution," Bonifaz said.

"The president is not a king," he said. "He does not have the power to wage war against another country absent a declaration of war from Congress."

Congress has not formally declared a war since World War II.

A similar lawsuit filed against Bush's father before the Gulf War by 54 members of Congress was denied by a federal judge in December 1990.

That judge said he agreed in principle that the president must seek congressional authorization for war, but said the elder President Bush had not clearly committed to a course of action. The judge also noted that only about 10 percent of the Congress had asked for the injunction -- a percentage he said wasn't representative of the entire body.

Bonifaz said this new lawsuit is different because in addition to the six members of Congress, soldiers have asked for the injunction.

"They are facing the possibility of death," he said.

One of the plaintiffs, Nancy Lessin, said the people planning the war aren't facing the possibility their loved ones will be killed. She said she has 25-year-old twin stepsons, one of whom is in the Marines.

"We'd like to challenge George Bush to send one of his twins to war. Then let's have a discussion about whether or not we should go to war," she said. The president has 21-year-old twin daughters.

Bonifaz said several similar lawsuits filed by soldiers during the Vietnam War were unsuccessful. But he said those lawsuits failed because the courts found Congress had taken concrete steps to authorize a war, including appropriating money and authorizing the draft.

The other members of Congress named as plaintiffs are: Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio; Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Illinois; Jim McDermott, D-Washington; Jose Serrano, D-New York; and Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas.

Other plaintiffs include a member of the Massachusetts National Guard who was recently activated, an Air Force Reservist from Massachusetts, and a U.S. Marine stationed in the Persian Gulf, Bonifaz said. Their identities are not being made public, Bonifaz said.

i'd like to find out more particulars about this suit, like what happens to that cocksmoker if he loses -- a longshot but i guess they have to go through the motions. :rolleyes:

it's still "We the People" right? :guh:

:cry:

Typical conservative moderate. If I were american, I'd be a Republican, but I would be far from the religious right or any other extremist group.

Originally posted by rahvin
just one - my former philosophy teacher - but she only does that to feed her ego. ;)

so true. but inaccurate in the first part. someone who was recently labelled by aforementioned philosophy teacher something akin to (what was it again?) a no-ambition, no-perspective public employee only interested in a safe job normally has the main world papers sorted out by 12 am maximum, allowing for some time differences between EU and the USA. :)

I say we attack to USA and convert it into totally sosialistic nation and after that George W Bush declares war on theirselves.
War against communism it shall be.
Then there would be state of war. Every band that has planned to go there would cancel their gigs due the political situation.
That would stop the rednecks!

NF: MAD :D (yes, that magazine)

Originally posted by RealHazard
I say we attack to USA and convert it into totally sosialistic nation and after that George W Bush declares war on theirselves.
War against communism it shall be.
Then there would be state of war. Every band that has planned to go there would cancel their gigs due the political situation.
That would stop the rednecks!

that could be a great idea, as long as you, realhazad, get to take 500 hours of english lessons as part of some "know your enemy" tactics. :p

rahvin.

@oursexymoderator:
This is Internet.
I doesn´t matter how stupid sentences I create, now noone cares.
Understanding is easy:
I try have never exctasy because extasicy bad is to I.

Can someone please kill that warmongering, biggoted idiot the americans call their president, I didn't know they let people like that walk outside of the facilities?

(just my reaction to his threats to the UN, sorry, go about your business, USA will handle it, the world will be a safe place again soon....)

Reactions: Rei Toei
Too late people...

well, now it remains fun to see how the UN will handle the US going basicly against their word... Wonder if this will lead to a bigger war in the future, kinda sickening if you ask me...

i think the bush-bashing is really not relevant. next time a democratic president orders a war be waged would you do the same? the whole demonization of any single individual, be it a terrorist or the president of u.s.a. is just a bait from different kinds of propaganda. we need the heroes and the villains to simplify things. whom you choose for the role merely depends on circumstance.

rahvin.