the dynamite politics thread

I have no problems if someone's just going to say that they hate our politics, or what we are about, but discern that the people aren't the same as their government, instead of hiding it behind political issues, which one can use to critisize, especially when they cannot agree that there are benefits along with detrements.

Originally posted by rahvin
now the point seems to be wether believing that most of scandinavia is against america because they're all enlightened countries who just saw the truth or because people's opinion is dictated by cultural stereotypes (be they true or false, i wasn't getting into this again) there like everywhere else too. ;)

rahvin.

ah, wether, i see. and then i am the disfunctional speller. scandinavia is more enlightened that the rest of the world for six months, and darker for the remaining six. this is the only fact i know on the subject.

hyena

tsk tsk, still discussing this bullshit kids??? what if Saddam can build a nuke, he doesn't have ICBM building capabilities, and even if he did, he's far enough from the USA to foil the attack...

so now that this thingy here has calmed down a bit, it's time to stir in the ashes and see if we can still find something glowing.
as some might have recognized, today (at least now and here) is september, 11th. as for me, i won't switch on neither tv nor radio, because all i will hear of is the assault on wtc last year. it's jsut horrible how media stresses the whole theme. sure, it's shocking and needs to be remembered, but why do i see documentations weeks before the actual date? why do i have to see people jumping from the 60th floor again and again? it's simply disgusting how media uses this and other "happenings" like that solely for making money. i sure wouldn't mind a good documentation, like what lead to this, what are the backgrounds, who is involved etc. but hell no, all i see is people jumping to death and aeroplanes exploding in the towers.

Hm, my useless two cents on this are that i watched on tv a very interesting short interview of a seemingly very in-the-things man (sorry, can't find another word), analyzing the whys and hows and what's to be done.
The most interesting point he made was that just bombing won't really solve any problems, what would trully help to drown terrorism in its cradle is helping financially those countries, so that the economical gap between them and the wealthy countries becomes smaller. This way, the quality of life in those 3rd world countries would become better, there would be ground for better education, and finally ground for the solid establishment of democracy in them.

Yeah expert, but dunno at what, he just seemed to know a lot :p
Thanks anyway, i owe you this one ;)

Originally posted by VultureCulture

as some might have recognized, today (at least now and here) is september, 11th.

I realise it is the day too... I can't turn on the radio, news, or any other media outlets (even use forums or newsletters) without hearing about it.

I don't have any political points to express, all I have to say is, for me, just thinking about what happened a year ago today is depressing.

The sad thing is that these terrorists had to take out innocent people (I guess thats why it's called terrorism) and they didn't achieve anything of their main goal (in short getting US the hell out of their business). The only thing they achieved was get US more interested in bombing the hell out of the rest of them.
I think there is irony in there somewhere, if you look hard enough.

ok, lets have another go.
one question i'd like to ask all the people from the US of A:
since the german chancellor announced that germany would not support an offensive war against iraq, an american newspaper wrote the relationship between usa and germany are "poisoned". this was quite an issue here and there was a lot of bashing on the chancellor how he might even dare oppose the usa in this matter. it even was discussed how this could break the NATO alliance...
but what is it like over in the U.S.? do you even give a shit? is it really that bad, that poisoned? or was the whole thing only thrown up because of the elections we had here not long ago?

No nothing is poisoned. What a news paper writes is not what the people think. We still love all you crazy crazy Germans. I dont think that Germany is going ot be out of NATO, thats just abunch of American bullshit propaganda.

Nick(Welcome to the machine)

although i think that elections in germany had an awful result, and although i agree on bombing iraq as you all know, bubu schroeder gave a good signal for a potential independent european identity. that came in the worst possible way, but it is not bad in itself.

h

i'm inclined to agree. rulers who finally take a chance and say more or less what's going on and what they intend to do for real. and it had to come from a left wing party. oh me oh my. :tickled:

rahvin.

i sat in front of the tv at the election day, being not able to vote by myself, and imagined germany with a stoiber being chancellor. :puke:
it was really close, but in the end we were on the lucky side, as far as i am concerned. schroeder maybe isn't the best choice, but the best there was.

Sorry if I'm off topic, but I think this pic is priceless:
bush.jpg

The thought that this man has his finger on the button is a bit scary.