THE FFVII REMAKE THREAD

Keenan

Crippling Self Doubt
Apr 9, 2009
Florida
To anyone who hasn't seen anything from, or didn't really follow E3 that much.... Yeah, it's real.

I'm honestly unsure of what to think. This could easily every bit as awesome as the original, or it could be a gigantic disaster... but, for now... HYPE HYPE HYPE OH GOD. I DIDN'T THINK THEY'D ACTUALLY DO IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "SWEET FUCK THEY ACTUALLY WENT AND DID IT" reaction is a universal one!

Now, Squeenix know as well as we do that a remake will either be too different or too similar. The game's characters, setting, music and story is all perfect as it is, so they could never get away with fucking that shit up. BUT! I'm amidst another attempt at a perfect run on OG FFVII (by sheer chance!) and it does feel a little drier than it used to. No idea if that's due to my continued fanboyish exposure to it or if it hasn;t aged well, but basically, combat feels a little sluggish; fix that somehow. Alternatively, to appease everyone, have TWO battle systems; an updated/tweaked version of the classic turn-based ATB, and a more realtime action based one, swappable at any point from the menu's config screen. Dissidia Duodecim did it, so there's no excuse for Squeenix being unable to do such a thing. The same should be said of the music - create an arranged soundtrack, but make sure that the config menu allows you to switch to and fro between the arranged and original soundtracks as you wish. The PS3 and Vita versions of FFXHD didn't have that, and were all the worse because of it (the PS4 versions thankfully added that shit in).

Besides all that, the only thing they need to do is keep everything as close to the source material as possible while adding a few new quests, items, weapons, bosses etc. with that wonderful next gen sparkle we've seen from the PS4. Having a 1080p port of Crisis Core as an unlockable (read: NOT DLC) bonus once you've completed the game - or even a short playable Advent Children scenario - would be fantastic as well, perhaps some costumes or something and a gallery. In fact, I'd even like to see a New Game+ option.

tl;dr - BY THE CETRA'S BEARDS, IT'S REAL! IT'S ACTUALLY CUNTPUNCHING REAL!!

After organizing my thoughts on the matter... this is the conclusion I have come to.

Change is good, but change can also be very bad.

I understand that certain parts of the story may have to be reworked (Which, apparently doesn't pertain to cross-dressing Cloud :lol: ), various cutscenes have to be reimagined, the battle system etc. A decent amount of new stuff would have to be added as well, side quests, items, equipment, cutscenes etc. I just hope they don't go a little too crazy with it and COMPLETELY redo things that didn't need fixing.

The battle system is a good example of this. It's so simple, yet effective. Having a battle system like FFXIII (which I thought was kinda cool, aside from the only controlling Lightning part) may change things up a bit too much and may make it feel unfamiliar. God forbid if they try and make it an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts or FFXV, which I honestly would not put past them. Maybe like Dave said, some sort of option to switch? Best of both worlds?

The music would be the other thing that needs the most care. The original soundtrack is pretty much perfect and is (arguably) the best in the series and I don't think would benefit from re-arranging like FFX HD. Though, again, the solution to this would be able to choose between the classic one and the re-arranged one, which FFX HD PS4 has I'm fairly sure. Hell, even the DS version of FFIII has the option to change soundtracks...

And please.... stay away from the Chapter/Mission lay out of FFXIII. It didn't help that game. At all. And try and restrain yourselves when it comes to DLC. :lol:

Now, trying to be positive. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND AND SEPHIROTH'S SUPER NOVA IN GLORIOUS PS4 HD.

I'd also like to see some sort of Crisis Core prologue or unlockable... something. I'm playing through it for the first time now (At Mako Reactor 5 with Sephiroth) and am loving it. So seeing that game represented would be nice.

In summary, I WANT. REAL BAD. But and slightly skeptical, which is basically my stance on FFXV. :lol:

They won't change the story anymore than Crisis Core necessitates, which is very, very little in the grand scheme of things. Adding some scenarios in I'm fine with, and obviously things will be arranged/played out a LITTLE differently than they were on the PSX, but I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Also, they NEED to keep Cid and Barret's foul language and the Wall Market's seediness. Seriously.

I remember reading they said they wouldn't remake VII until they put out a FF they thought was better so i'm still shocked this is really happening.

I'm honestly fine with them adding stuff to fill in the world more. As long as the plot stays the same, it looks good, runs well, and the battle system stays pretty much the same i'm good.

While I doubt it'll be a full-on Kingdom Hearts, gameplay wise, I do expect it to play a lot like what FFXV looks like. Very curious to see how that works out.

Also, nearly done with Crisis Core for the first time. The final area has a sense of finality I've rarely experienced before. The end is NIGH. I kinda hope there's like, a secret Angeal/Genesis copy boss fight in the FFVII remake. Or some Hollander experiment related side quests. Might be kinda cool.

So, UPDATES!

Nobuo Uematsu won't be doing any arrangements for the remake, which was expected since the bloke has probably retired by now. Some folks are up in arms about it because they're too fucking stupid to realise that the music he wrote for the game is still getting used; just being rearranged.

On top of this, confirmation (somewhat) that the battle system is - and I quote - like an "action RPG", and they're currently testing it through trial and error. Rumours abound that there'll be some multiplayer and/or VR stuff included in some way too, which would be pretty rad. That aside, looks like we're shit out of details until further notice. Fingers crossed we'll actually get a proper bunch of juicy deets around Christmas, but at this point I'm not so sure.