The future of metal

Yay, all hail to the Viking Metal scene!!!!!
If Such music becomes bigger and bigger then that rocks, just so long as the bands don't turn all mainstream and start acting like twats (i could mention a few names of other bands but i won't). Sadly the shitty metal/mall/nu or whatyever other core's there are out there will only get more attention as far as i can see. But as long as us lot here on UM are alive good proper metal will never die out!

Far too many people aren't answering the question here. He said 'which bands will move the underground in a healthy direction?', not 'who will dominate the scene?'.

For BM, Blut Aus Nord are perhaps the most likely candidates. Deathspell Omega too, and maybe even Rehtaf Ruo and Velvet Cacoon. Summoning are an obvious choice as well, but I'm not sure if they're going to take their style to a higher level than they already have.

DM is pretty stagnant, the only band still stretching things is The Chasm. Bands like, Arghoslent, Vore and Immolation will probably release more good stuff, but none of them have done anything really groundbreaking in recent times (or in some cases, at all).

If metal was like the stockmarket, I would invest everything I have in Mastodon. The improvement from Remission to Leviathan is remarkable. I would have a tough time throwing Mastodon in a single genre, but if you are comparing them to the Headbanger's Ball segment of metal, they hopefully will take things in the right direction. Since mallcore/metalcore is the new nu-metal, we'll have a few more years of crappy bands and dilution of that genre. Mastodon can appeal to that audience while still being wholly metal, without sacrificing talent and complexity, and without altering their style. By the release of their next album, Mastodon should be headlining tours.

I can see bands putting alot more melody into their music. Bands that incorporate many different styles into their music will surely push the boundaries and create new genres. Anyone that tries anything new, really. In the mainstream, Headbangers' Ball scene I think when the metalcore trend dies out, melodic death metal will move in.

Leviathan. Wrest has released 2 amazing albums in The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide and Tentacles of Whorror. I expect more amazing things from the genius that is Leviathan.

Azrael. Same as Leviathan, they have released 2 amazing albums in Into Shadows Acts I and II. True innovaters in the BM scene.

.Scissors. said:
I can see bands putting alot more melody into their music. Bands that incorporate many different styles into their music will surely push the boundaries and create new genres. Anyone that tries anything new, really. In the mainstream, Headbangers' Ball scene I think when the metalcore trend dies out, melodic death metal will move in.

I don't know about that. It looked like the Gothenburg sound was going to get really big, but it kind of fizzled and melodeath is pretty stale. With all of the genre bending bands around now, I wouldn't be surprised to see somewhat of a backlash and a return towards traditional styles and strong songwriting over genre mixing and experimentation.

There are still bands like Intestine Baalism, Arghoslent, etc. who use traditional metal/power metal/Gothenburg riffage at times, but don't forget the death fucking metal part.

Guardian of Darkness said:
DM is pretty stagnant, the only band still stretching things is The Chasm. Bands like, Arghoslent, Vore and Immolation will probably release more good stuff, but none of them have done anything really groundbreaking in recent times (or in some cases, at all).

Lykathea Aflame came turned death metal on its head, then left and most likely will never be heard from again. If bands like that would stay around for longer than one full-length then perhaps DM as a genre could have to time to absorb and be influenced by such an innovative take on the genre.

As for the future, fusion genres will pave the way. We can already see it happen in bands such as Disillusion who successfully fused melodeath and progressive, with hints of folk into a unqiue sound. Others will soon follow but with more extreme genres thrown into the mix.

Cryptkeeper said:
Leviathan. Wrest has released 2 amazing albums in The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide and Tentacles of Whorror. I expect more amazing things from the genius that is Leviathan.

Azrael. Same as Leviathan, they have released 2 amazing albums in Into Shadows Acts I and II. True innovaters in the BM scene.

I never found either of these bands to be anything worthy of praise. They're decent though.

J Mann said:
If bands like that would stay around for longer than one full-length then perhaps DM as a genre could have to time to absorb and be influenced by such an innovative take on the genre.
The problem is, most bands who DO continue to send out albums become horrible. They have nothing left to do. Might as well leave on a good note, no?

On the subject of Death Metal: Obituary.

On the subject of Black Metal: fucking stop.

On the subject of Power Metal: Go back to how it was in the 80's NOW.

Decadent said:
I don't beleive that Obituary's place in the future of metal is pre-decided... the new release could turn out to be horrible.

Who cares? They can fuck around all they want for releasing Slowly We Rot and Cause Of Death. They're still awesome.

Jean-Pierre said:
On the subject of Death Metal: Obituary.

On the subject of Black Metal: fucking stop.

On the subject of Power Metal: Go back to how it was in the 80's NOW.

There are black metal bands out there today that are releasing some of the most interesting music that metal has to offer. Power metal as far as I'm concerned has exhausted all of it's possibilities without radically changing the nature of the music so it has no potential to lead metal into new territory. I'm sure you don't care though because you seem to be more of a traditionalist.

Deathspell Omega and Watain. And Leviathan. That's all I can be arse to think of for now.