The great innovators of Metal

Wasn't their a female vocalist on Celtic Frost's first EP?

I have no idea.

They were the first! :) (before Winter and Disembowelment).

Godflesh pretty much created industrial metal and Amebix, well while they aren't really metal they were a big influence to alot of early black and thrash metal bands.

Fair enough. Lemme do a little research. I'd still like something more descriptive about Amebix.

Please forgive me if I am talking complete and utter nonsense, as I am not really very knowledgable about this sort of thing. But what about Edge of Sanity?

Melodic death metal with 1992's Unorthodox (or perhaps even maybe 1991's Nothing But Death Remains, although probably not), progressive death metal with the song "Enigma" on the aforementioned Unorthodox (or the full-album from 1993, The Spectral Sorrows) and then progressive/epic death metal with 1996's Crimson.

Haven't heard any Edge of Sanity myself. I'll do some research.

Are you saying that they had a prog-death song on Unorthodox, and an entire prog-death album in The Spectral Sorrows?

Haven't heard any Edge of Sanity myself. I'll do some research.

Are you saying that they had a prog-death song on Unorthodox, and an entire prog-death album in The Spectral Sorrows?

Sorry. That is what I was trying to say, yeah.

They were the first! :) (before Winter and Disembowelment).

I'm getting Paradise Lost as the first death/doom band, not the first funeral doom (even though funeral doom is just a child genre of death/doom). I'll probably just cite them as the first death/doom band (and maybe gothic metal as well).

Also, I can't find Dream Death on Wikipedia. Got any other source of info on them that I could use?

Godflesh pretty much created industrial metal and Amebix, well while they aren't really metal they were a big influence to alot of early black and thrash metal bands.

So... how did Godflesh create industrial metal when Ministry had an album out before those guys were even a band?

What exactly did Godflesh contribute to industrial metal?

Who was the first band to use harsh vocals, as opposed to singing a vocal melody? That's innovation right there. Slayer? Possessed? or even Venom? I'll also add Repulsion The first FAST AS FUCK deathgrind band, or first deathgrind band all together. A great influence on both death metal and grindcore.

Note: changing the Opeth entry to this:

Opeth
* Combined death metal and progressive rock into a cohesive sound which made death metal more accessible and brought it into the mainstream. (Morningrise, 1996; My Arms, Your Hearse, 1998)

Not sure if I can really credit them for single-handedly bringing death metal into the mainstream, though. Perhaps "were instrumental in ..." would work better.
Death Metal was mainstream in the late 80s and early 90s so really Opeth had nothing do with it. They are hardly death metal anyway.

I'm getting Paradise Lost as the first death/doom band, not the first funeral doom (even though funeral doom is just a child genre of death/doom). I'll probably just cite them as the first death/doom band (and maybe gothic metal as well).

Also, I can't find Dream Death on Wikipedia. Got any other source of info on them that I could use?
Yeah, Thergothon was the first funeral doom band but Paradise Lost and Dream Death were the first doomdeath bands and influenced the funeral doom bands too.
M-A has some info on Dream Death I think btw.
So... how did Godflesh create industrial metal when Ministry had an album out before those guys were even a band?

What exactly did Godflesh contribute to industrial metal?
Well Ministry weren't metal in the beginning, just industrial . :) But they were early too (I think they starting going the rock/metal route around 88-89 the same time Godlfesh released their first EP). Godflesh went the more extreme way though I guess so they influenced different bands.

(even though funeral doom is just a child genre of death/doom).

I am forced by the will of the ancients to disagree! For one there is a totally different atmosphere present within each sub genre, and totally different playing techniques to boot; compare stabat mater and disembowlment, wormphlegm vs. imindain, tyranny vs paramacium! Nott only that, you have other hybrid funeral bands (most notable = Nortt), how do you compare such beasts?!?1

Death Metal was mainstream in the late 80s and early 90s so really Opeth had nothing do with it. They are hardly death metal anyway.

Correct. Opeth are not death metal. Use of harsh vocals does not in itself make something death metal. And Opeth probably use harsh vocals less than half of the time, anyways.

Okay, I changed it back. I feel like Opeth deserves some kind of mention about contributing to the popularity of extreme metal, but I really don't have anything to back that up.

Who was the first band to use harsh vocals, as opposed to singing a vocal melody? That's innovation right there. Slayer? Possessed? or even Venom? I'll also add Repulsion The first FAST AS FUCK deathgrind band, or first deathgrind band all together. A great influence on both death metal and grindcore.

To my knowledge, I think Bathory was the first to use fully harsh vocals without any tone to them.

I am forced by the will of the ancients to disagree! For one there is a totally different atmosphere present within each sub genre, and totally different playing techniques to boot; compare stabat mater and disembowlment, wormphlegm vs. imindain, tyranny vs paramacium! Nott only that, you have other hybrid funeral bands (most notable = Nortt), how do you compare such beasts?!?1

Well, it's pretty easy to do when you don't know shit about all those sub-genres, like me. :)

Btw, I know I'm slacking on getting people's submissions up, but it would help if you people could word your claims in concise, unambiguous terms so I don't have to go through that hassle myself. I've got other things to do today besides Internet research.

Okay, here are a few I'll be putting up shortly:

Paradise Lost
* Created the first death/doom album. (Lost Paradise, 1990)

Ministry
* Created the first industrial metal (along with Godflesh). (The Land of Rape and Honey, 1988)

Godflesh
* Created the first industrial metal (along with Ministry). (Godflesh, 1988)

Paradise Lost
* Created the first death/doom album. (Lost Paradise, 1990)

Actually, on second though, I'd better take this down. After a glance at Wikipedia, that statement sounds horribly inaccurate, and there is a whole slew of originators for this genre that I couldn't even begin to dissect right now. If anyone feels like tackling that, be my guest.

Sure would be nice if Necuratul got in on this. Wasn't he supposed to be writing some giant essay on the most influential bands in metal?