The great innovators of Metal

So... are we headed in the wrong direction with this list thing, or does it look like we're getting somewhere? I can't really tell.

Earth-Invented Drone Doom.

Sunn 0)))-Reinvented the idea of Drone Doom and injected a bit more of a metal sound into the mix. They have been releasing groundbreaking albums for the genre for the past few years.

Boris-Took drone to a more experimental and injected a few more doom elements and a hint of pop/shoegaze melody.

Edited for less ambiguity:

Earth
* Combined elements of drone music and metal to create drone doom.

This is the best I can do for Boris, though it sounds kind of lame.

Boris
* Incorporated pop and shoegaze melodies into drone doom.

The Sunn O))) one isn't really saying anything. I understand that they've expanded the genre, but it's not enough to say they added more of a 'metal' element to a genre that already is considered part of metal.

Can you help me out more with Boris and Sunn O))) before I put those up?

Edited for less ambiguity:

Earth

This is the best I can do for Boris, though it sounds kind of lame.

Boris
* Incorporated pop and shoegaze melodies into drone doom.

The Sunn O))) one isn't really saying anything. I understand that they've expanded the genre, but it's not enough to say they added more of a 'metal' element to a genre that already is considered part of metal.

Can you help me out more with Boris and Sunn O))) before I put those up?

Well Earth is a little far from the metal sound.

Boris also incorporated noise rock,sludge,punk and regular doom metal into drone doom among many of genres that they have done.

You are right with Sunn expanding the genre but they really took the sound to a different level. They connected much more to a metal crowed has the sound was more metal than Earth and had more dynamics.

Earth

Boris
* Incorporated a wide variety of styles into drone doom, including noise rock, punk, sludge and doom metal, as well as several pop and shoegaze melodies.

Sunn O)))
* Prominent drone doom experimenters who created a more dynamic and metal-oriented variety of the sound.

How's that sound?

edit: I made a few changes to the Sunn and Boris entries. See the main list.

Note: I've created another list, below the main one, for "non-metal influences". It looks pretty pathetic right now, so feel free to toss up some decent entries for Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blue Cheer, King Crimson, The Beatles, etc. etc.

Yes/Jethro Tull/ELP/Genesis/Crimson/Uriah Heap - These were the first succesful prog bands, obviously paving the way to prog and power metal. Obviously there were numerous others, but these are the most significant

Deep Purple
- Created speed and thrash metal

Zeppelin - Originated folk metal

The Beatles
- basically the template for rock and metal

Electric Light Orchestra
- Created symphonic metal/first rock band to incorporate such themes (full orcho, etc)

The Who - Assisted in the creation of symphonic metal/concept album ballads with Tommy, contributed to the heavy metal genre as well.

Black Sabbath - The first metal band; helped created heavy metal, black metal, doom metal

Priest, Scorpions, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, Alice Cooper (hugely influential), etc - Assisted in creation heavy metal

This is really impossible because sole credit for a genre cannot be given to just one band besides Sabbath

Possessed

Released the first full-length Death Metal album (Seven Churches, 1985)

Nocturnus

First Death Metal band to fully incorporate keyboards into their style (The Key, 1990)

At the Gates

Released the first Melodic Death Metal album (The Red in the Sky is Ours, 1992)

Thanks guys. I've got some homework to do, so I may be unavailable for the rest of the night. Malign's entries are pretty well-written, so I'll put those up now. I think we need to work on the non-metal entries some more before those can go up.

^ I suggest you and Mathias spend the rest of the night arguing about how 'metal' Deep Purple and other borderline-metal bands are, so that I can have some nice, objective statements to paste into the main list tomorrow morning. :)

I wouldn't credit an experimental song, that had nothing to do with the band's true focus, as being influential enough for the band to receive the same credit as Mysticum for pioneering the whole sub-genre.
This is where you might want to make distinctions between bands who were influential and bands who just there at the beginning. I've never heard Impaled Nazarene mentioned as influential in any sense, apparently they were there but no one noticed. Is industrial black metal a subgenre? Do all the bands in it draw influence from Mysticum or are there just a bunch of bands that added industrial to black metal independently?

Well, of course the ultimate goal of course is to list as many of the contributors to thrash metal as we can, but that can't just happen all at once. I can't make the list 100% accurate right off the bat, but if you want me to reword the Metallica entry (I thought "created the first thrash metal album" was pretty decent), then do tell me how you want it changed.
You could list subgenres chronologically and mention bands under each, it wouldn't make the list any more redundant than it already is.

Why? Didn't all of those innovations take place under the name "Celtic Frost"?
Put them somewhere, the "thrash metal with chaotic, dissonant riffs and occult lyrics" played by Hellhammer didn't influence black metal, it was black metal.

So... are we headed in the wrong direction with this list thing, or does it look like we're getting somewhere? I can't really tell.
I think the list has a long way to go before it even reaches Wikipedia caliber levels of usefulness, it makes for interesting discussion though.

Mathiäs;6606366 said:

Deep Purple
- Created speed and thrash metal
Sort of and no, their most notable influence was probably in vocal style.

Mathiäs;6606366 said:
Zeppelin - Originated folk metal
Folk rock, maybe.

Mathiäs;6606366 said:
The Beatles - basically the template for rock and metal
More of an indirect influence on metal.

Mathiäs;6606366 said:

Electric Light Orchestra
- Created symphonic metal/first rock band to incorporate such themes (full orcho, etc)

The Who - Assisted in the creation of symphonic metal/concept album ballads with Tommy, contributed to the heavy metal genre as well.

Black Sabbath - The first metal band; helped created heavy metal, black metal, doom metal

Priest, Scorpions, Hendrix, Thin Lizzy, Alice Cooper (hugely influential), etc - Assisted in creation heavy metal

This is really impossible because sole credit for a genre cannot be given to just one band besides Sabbath
Also questionable/peripheral stuff besides Sabbath and Priest.