the grindcore thread

Squash Bowels, Nasum, Brutal Truth, NAPALM DEATH, older Carcass, Pig Destroyer, Cock and Ball Torture, R.C.B. (fucking incredible of course), The Number Twelve looks like you, The Locust (I personally know the last two bands so...)

I'd say grindcore is like an extreme form of death metal mix with punk. Power violence would be an extreme form of hardcore which come from punk. Both sound fairly similar. It's all a matter of perception...

Repulsion
Terrorizer
(early) Napalm Death
Despise You
Anal Cunt
(early) Carcass
Disrupt
Fuck... I'm Dead
Birdflesh

All good stuff

Goregrind is heavy death metal styled music with a definite grind feel, but without much punk influence at all; in that way, it is more "metal" than true grindcore. It also does not require gore themes, though...for instance Squash Bowels - The Mass Rotting...The Mass Sickening has (despite the title) almost no references to gore at all.

I think goregrind is an unnecessary term. If it's death metal with grind infuences it's still death metal. If it's grindcore with death metal influences it's still grindcore.

Or you could just call it death metal and not mention the grind influence part. I think a lot of "goregrind" bands have more in common with grind than death metal anyway.

I just don't prefer to use the label. Usually goregrind bands lean closer to either death metal or grindcore which is what I prefer to label them.

Death metal with grind influences is deathgrind.

Goregrind is more brutal sounding and has an often very dark sound.

Death metal with grind influences is deathgrind.

Goregrind is more brutal sounding and has an often very dark sound.

I think deathgrind has more in relation with old school death metal while goregrind has more in relation with brutal death metal in most cases.