The inevitable has happened.. Good Bye Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
is amon amarth worth any of my time? I LOVE bathorys take on viking metal (because it really sounds like they are fighting in a battle). Every Viking metal band iv listened to has never captured the sound i would have wanted a viking metal band to sound like (aside from bathory). So i dont know if its worth me looking into them.

DEMIgOD said:
is amon amarth worth any of my time? I LOVE bathorys take on viking metal (because it really sounds like they are fighting in a battle). Every Viking metal band iv listened to has never captured the sound i would have wanted a viking metal band to sound like (aside from bathory). So i dont know if its worth me looking into them.
yeah, don't bother. The debut, Once Sent from the Golden Hall, with Lopez on drums, is pretty good. So if you want to check any, check that one out. Heard another and wasn't anything special.

DEMIgOD said:

Two words:
Enslaved ELD

One comment about Lopez: What metal drummer has used fucking brushes? Brushes! (Face of Melinda)

The Hubster said:
Two words:
Enslaved ELD

I know Enslaved is brilliant. But at this point, aside from the lyrics i dont really count them as viking metal. (I know their early albums expecially eld had a similar atmosphere to which i was talking about). Great album, im listening to it now. (almost done with it).

enslaved are just as viking as anyone else in the genre. they just know when to keep the faggotry and nonsense in their pants when its not time to act like goofy circus viking twats unlike some bands. even all the lyrics to RUUN and ISA are completely viking subject matter.

Some of opeths best work does not have lopez. He's a great drummer, he's not opeth though.

Some of you people need to get hobbies.

NineFeetUnderground said:
enslaved are just as viking as anyone else in the genre. they just know when to keep the faggotry and nonsense in their pants when its not time to act like goofy circus viking twats unlike some bands. even all the lyrics to RUUN and ISA are completely viking subject matter.

Personally I find Enslaved are far more genuine with their interest and beliefs in old Norse religion and mythology than other so called "Viking" bands because they mix it with everyday life (evident in their music), and they are not aggressive about it like some of the NSBM bands are.

They had their phase with wearing it on their sleeves (Ivar's bondage/gimp outfit, Grutle's dodgy helmet and Trym's plastic looking sword on the Frost packaging), but theyve matured out of it and above. Now they express it in a much better and more intelligent manner.

When you have people like Rob Darken running around with badly done corpsepaint and a viking helmet which looks like an old can of Milo, sorry, but it just seems it's trying TOO hard. This also comes through in the music.

boomonkey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.