The inevitable has happened.. Good Bye Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Corleone said:
true, but opeth's drum partitions were really original and that solely belonged to lopez. now, he's gone. think about it.

I would listen to Opeth if Ringo Starr was their drummer.

Don Corleone said:
thats not the point.

so would i, but we are stressing the point that opeth has lost one of the elements that made them unique.

Lopez is a great drummer and was great in Opeth, I agree. But I listen to Opeth because of Mike's masterful songwriting so I'm not too upset over Lopez leaving. That's all I'm saying.

Moonlapse said:
Goddamn. I always saw it coming, but it just didn't feel real up until now. Opeth have lost a dominant part of their sound. I wish the band and Axe the best of luck from here on in.

My feelings exactly. As sure as I was the end was near, it did not really hit me. But here it is.

The best of luck to Martin Lopez, Martin Axenrot, and Opeth.

I just don't see Axe contributing the little subtleties that Lopez did. As someone pointed out earlier, Axe is a fairly straight-forward metal drummer. M-Lo brought his latin and funk influences and combined them with death metal...what unique style is Axe going to bring?

I'll miss Lopez, and I think they can do better than Axe. He's a good drummer...just not that different.

illidurit said:
ringo crushes

an obviously underrated drummer. he perfectly complimented the music

also

Roadrunner will issue a special edition deluxe version of "Ghost reveries" on the 25 th of July.

Bonus material include a 40 minute documentary about the making of the record complete with the bands own private tour footage, a cover of Deep Purple's "Soldier of fortune" recorded for UK's BBC radio, the video for "The grand conjuration", liner notes, photos, enhanced 24 page booklet, deluxe sleeve, and 5.1 surround exclusive mix of the record made by original mixed/engineer Jens Bogren.

il definetly buy it, 5.1 mix + document = :up:

definetly a scam to get people who already bought it to buy it again (lol me rofl) but whatever, should be nice

Ah man, this is a shame and as much as we'd all seen it coming I think we all convinced ourselves that it might not happen. Martin, if you read this you're an amazing drummer I only wish i could have seen you live with Opeth. Still it's better to know that now the pressure to rejoin the band is gone, you'll be able to put all your effort in to recovering.

Axe, you have some pretty big shoes to fill and you'll never be the same as Martin so don't try. Do you're own thing 'cause you deserve respect for doing that not trying to imitate someone else. Some will accept you some won't but just try your best. I'm sure you'll do us all proud.

Again this is very sad news, but I'm sure Opeth and Martin is strong enough to pull through this.

All the best.

Not entirely unexpected at this point, but very sad. Best of luck to him and Opeth I suppose.

This is a MASSIVE blow. Lopez is one of the best drummers in Metal today and has had a huge influence on Opeth's sound. While many might say "Mike is Opeth", consider the amount of incredible passages Lopez has played on albums like Still Life.

Really folks - imagine SL without Martin, it wouldnt be the same.

I wish the best to Axenrot, he has huge shoes to fill, but with time and practice I have no doubt he might even be able to raise the bar given he's already a great death metal drummer.

Who knows - this could step the the aggressiveness in Opeth's music again, GR was more like a bloody pop record.

This is a sad day for opeth. I unfortunatly never got the chance to see them play with Martin. But nonetheless im going to see them next month. I will be thinking of the incredible legacy he has left on opeth and his amazing talent in general. Axe, you have mine and im sure many other opeth fan's respect already simply because you were picked by Mikael and the guys and your obvious talent. You have big shoes to fill and i look forward to seeing you play in dublin next month.

Martin i wish you all the best and hope you recover soon. I look forward to hearing your future project come to fruitition. Get well soon.

Slan a chairde.

Holy Shit! This blows... I just hope Opeth doesn't need to dumb-down or change their music for Axenrot. I mean, he's great at the straightforward DM style of Bloodbath but he has absolutely no feel for what Opeth was.. I feel like a huge piece of Opeth has died. Fuckin' sad....:cry:

Lord Byron said:
This is a sad day for opeth. I unfortunatly never got the chance to see them play with Martin. But nonetheless im going to see them next month. I will be thinking of the incredible legacy he has left on opeth and his amazing talent in general. Axe, you have mine and im sure many other opeth fan's respect already simply because you were picked by Mikael and the guys and your obvious talent. You have big shoes to fill and i look forward to seeing you play in dublin next month.

Martin i wish you all the best and hope you recover soon. I look forward to hearing your future project come to fruitition. Get well soon.

Slan a chairde.

At least we have the Lamentations DVD...:kickass:

Status
Not open for further replies.