the love thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love taking pictures at shows
Its great when you have a really cool professional camera and staing near to the stage, so the pics are really awesome then. As its impossible to take good pics on a cheap camera, especially when those guys always jumping around.

Its great when you have a really cool professional camera and staing near to the stage, so the pics are really awesome then. As its impossible to take good pics on a cheap camera, especially when those guys always jumping around.

Yup. I get to the show early and get up front,use the digital camera and stuff,hahha,any other camera won't do :) But yeah,Phil Labonte of All that Remains and Andrea what'shislast name from Lacuna Coil have been really hard to take pics of.

And yes the drum sound is awful. It certainly is a valid criticism if the sound is constantly grating on you for 80 minutes.

if the sound is grating on you, you suck at listening to music. open your mind. learn to enjoy it.

it sounds like what it sounds like. it wasn't a mistake or a misperception. that's what they wanted the drums to sound like. what fault can be found in doing what they set out to do? if somebody set out to have a drum sound like fucking Pantera or something and they ended up with the St. Anger sound, then that could maybe be considered a failure of some sort.

i think most people on this earth qualify "good" and "bad" by how much something sounds like other things that they've heard or how well it stacks up to other more familiar things on some arbitrary scale of "quality" that they made up one day, more familiar being "better", less familiar "worse".

the only way to properly perceive and judge art is by seeing it as exactly what it is and nothing else, not projecting our own biases on it. do not say "it sucks because it sounds like this", simply say "it sounds like this".

it's not a question of pleasant and unpleasant. you should always enjoy the act of perceiving new art, stretching your mind in a way you never have before, learning to listen better, more freely.

if your ear isn't trained enough to find and appeciate whatever redeeming qualities something does have, and all you can focus on is your perception of it's "failures" when compared to other more familiar works which you, in self-righteous ignorance, arbitrarily have tagged as the bar of "good", then you are not experiencing that work in it's entire self, and therefore you are not truly experiencing it at all, merely using it as a soapbox for justifying your own ignorant parameters of perception.

that makes me really sad and slightly disgusted. :cry: :puke:

:Smokin:

300px-New_Price_is_Right.jpg

^I get off to this show.

if the sound is grating on you, you suck at listening to music. open your mind. learn to enjoy it.

it sounds like what it sounds like. it wasn't a mistake or a misperception. that's what they wanted the drums to sound like. what fault can be found in doing what they set out to do? if somebody set out to have a drum sound like fucking Pantera or something and they ended up with the St. Anger sound, then that could maybe be considered a failure of some sort.

i think most people on this earth qualify "good" and "bad" by how much something sounds like other things that they've heard or how well it stacks up to other more familiar things on some arbitrary scale of "quality" that they made up one day, more familiar being "better", less familiar "worse".

the only way to properly perceive and judge art is by seeing it as exactly what it is and nothing else, not projecting our own biases on it. do not say "it sucks because it sounds like this", simply say "it sounds like this".

it's not a question of pleasant and unpleasant. you should always enjoy the act of perceiving new art, stretching your mind in a way you never have before, learning to listen better, more freely.

if your ear isn't trained enough to find and appeciate whatever redeeming qualities something does have, and all you can focus on is your perception of it's "failures" when compared to other more familiar works which you, in self-righteous ignorance, arbitrarily have tagged as the bar of "good", then you are not experiencing that work in it's entire self, and therefore you are not truly experiencing it at all, merely using it as a soapbox for justifying your own ignorant parameters of perception.

that makes me really sad and slightly disgusted. :cry: :puke:
:Smokin:

A lot of good points in this post, but this isn't the kind of thing that most people are going to take seriously. Seems like one of those things you have to find for yourself.

I disagree with one part of this post though. I think it's quite a stretch to say that any value one assigns to a piece of music is "arbitrary" simply because they aren't open to experiencing the work as it is. Some people have standards based on genre, theory, musicianship, and also just personal taste gained through experience. There's nothing wrong with that in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.