the love thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is kind of a silly point. These shooting are exceedingly rare, and I don't think the number of them are going up. They are just glamorized in the news.

You think they're glamorized in the news? That's an odd word to use. Anyway, I think that these sorts of incidents should be used to highlight the gun problem in America. They may be rare in the large scheme of things, but shooting deaths altogether certainly aren't.

I think that adding more gun control might help lower some crime, but I think there are other factors to consider. What about all the people who use guns responsibly? What about all the people who want guns for protection? What about people who enjoy hunting? Oh sorry, you can't do any of that, because of one tragedy in Virginia. You have to remember in most states, there is a lot of gun control. For example in Massachusetts, you must get a license, take classes, keep the gun locked when not in use, and of course background checks and waiting periods. Plus assault weapons are banned. Frankly, I think you have some good points, but I think we here in the United States need to think things like gun control through and not just react, so it can be acceptable to everyone.

People using guns responsibly and for things like hunting will always be factored in to gun control laws. Here in Australia you are allowed to own a gun for both of those things. It's the "people who want guns for protection" bit that is fucked up in your country. The "right to bear arms" part of your constitution is silly and outdated. I'm hearing things in the news about Virginia Tech students complaining that this could have been avoided if guns were allowed on campus. Yeah! More guns everywhere will help the problem! Everyone everywhere should carry a gun at all times, then nothing will go wrong! :loco:

Obviously gun control needs to be thought through, I'm not saying it shouldn't. Use of firearms is so ingrained into your culture that you couldn't just ban gun ownership. But the fact remains that there are too many guns and too many shooting deaths in your country. So something should be done about it.

..I'm hearing things in the news about Virginia Tech students complaining that this could have been avoided if guns were allowed on campus. Yeah! More guns everywhere will help the problem! Everyone everywhere should carry a gun at all times, then nothing will go wrong!...

You're mostly right. However, if other students had guns, he sure as shit would not have killed 32 people. I'm not saying that the campus should allow guns, though the idea does make some sense.

The right to bears arms is largely a cultural thing, as well. A negative one, maybe, but nevetheless. a part of our culture

Correct on the slightly overweight thing.

For the information of your future dreams about me (you fucking homo), I'm 6'3'', 18stone, red haired muscle bound adonis. Women want to be with me and men want to be me.

Such is my curse.

Wow, slightly arrogant eh?

There is the old slogan: Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns.

What the fuck can you do? You can't outlaw guns because that will piss off a large segment of the population. You can't let guns sales go unchecked because that would just result in crime everywhere. You can't post guards at every entrance to every building, that's just a pain in the ass. You can't use a metal detector at every turn, that costs too much. You can't plan for something like this. You can't avoid something like this. You can minimalise, you can have a strong police presence at large public places, which most places do. You can plan evacuations, but having every person in the place streaming into the halls and outside is too promising a target. You can lockdown, but having stationary targets while the police get up the force to go in is too easy. I think VT should have canceled classes the second they found out the 2 kids had been shot, and made a bigger effort to find the killer. But how does that help in the future? What happens when someone goes to a community college that hasn't had a murder in ages and isn't prepared and tears the place to shreds? When someone plants a bomb? Sorry to be pessimistic but I simply don't see what the solution.

You think they're glamorized in the news? That's an odd word to use. Anyway, I think that these sorts of incidents should be used to highlight the gun problem in America. They may be rare in the large scheme of things, but shooting deaths altogether certainly aren't.
I say glamorized because this thing is all over the news, when in the grand scheme of things it was was an unpreventable tragedy.

People using guns responsibly and for things like hunting will always be factored in to gun control laws. Here in Australia you are allowed to own a gun for both of those things. It's the "people who want guns for protection" bit that is fucked up in your country. The "right to bear arms" part of your constitution is silly and outdated.
And how do you propose we regulate this? You can only use that shotgun for hunting, but not on the robber in your house? This is what I meant by impractical.

I'm hearing things in the news about Virginia Tech students complaining that this could have been avoided if guns were allowed on campus. Yeah! More guns everywhere will help the problem! Everyone everywhere should carry a gun at all times, then nothing will go wrong! :loco:
These people are going into what if scenarios about something that really was unpredictable. I think you are doing a similar thing, just in the opposite viewpoint. "If there was more gun control, he wouldn't have gotten the gun" vs. "If we had guns we could have stopped him." What I am arguing against is doing this shoulda woulda coulda, reactionary thinking.

Obviously gun control needs to be thought through, I'm not saying it shouldn't. Use of firearms is so ingrained into your culture that you couldn't just ban gun ownership. But the fact remains that there are too many guns and too many shooting deaths in your country. So something should be done about it.
Agreed on all points, I just feel that gun control is not the best way to do it and I don't want Americans to make a rash decision based on one incident.

As a side note I would like to say that although I disagree with you here, I don't want any bad blood between us, because I think you are a very articulate and good poster. :kickass:

Status
Not open for further replies.