The Mars Volta...

opethmaniac

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
I know it's not (that) linked to Opeth but i was wondering if you guys like this incredible band i just discovered about 1 month ago...I've been living through a shit time since the beginning of January and this band really helps like Opeth did 5 or 6 years earlier...and i also would like to know what Mikael and the other guys of the band think of them...i recently met Dany from Anathema and he told me they were "the best band is the world"...

well, theyre certainly not the best. but such a statement isnt surprising coming from a member of anathema (;) ).

anyway, the volta are indeed good, especially their debut album.

if you like them...try Dredg or Liquid Scarlet.

I've noticed from lurking around on some forums recently that many people are obsessing over them, as if they're the best thing that happend to music or something. Not talking about the Anathema guy, but the "mainstreamers" who just had their first exposure to progressive music through them, thinking they're the first and only band to do such things.
Don't get me wrong I think they're great, just not the best band ever :)

I've always hated At The Drive In, but a friend sat me down and played me Deloused, and I was blown away. Been a fan of Mars ever since, however I don't think they're very good live. Far too much experimentation for me.

NineFeetUnderground said:
well, theyre certainly not the best. but such a statement isnt surprising coming from a member of anathema (;) ).

anyway, the volta are indeed good, especially their debut album.

if you like them...try Dredg or Liquid Scarlet.

Quit knockin' Anathema! :D I love those guys.

they fucking rock, the second track on deloused is sweet. starts with an I, and ends with ESP...thats all i can remember. But, it contains one of my top 5 favorite riffs of all time.

You mean Inertiatic? Yeah, one of the my favorites at the moment.

TMV are really good and talented but there are betetr bands. (see signature)

Yes, Mars Volta really owns! I actually think their second is even better than their first :)

I have a feeling Opeth likes them (or at least someone in their sound crew does), because when I saw them live in this old theater in Stockholm (one of the practice gigs before the dvd recording in London), they played a track or two from De-loused on the speakers in the break between first and second part :)

Longinus said:
You mean Inertiatic? Yeah, one of the my favorites at the moment.

TMV are really good and talented but there are betetr bands. (see signature)

yes, that crazy "hemiola" riff right when the song kicks in. "now i'm lost"...its kind of hard to hear all of the notes, but when you listen close, its hypnotic.