The mars volta

well, I know what type of sections you're referring to... the last 2 1/2 minutes of The Widow could've been left out as it probably was on the single version, but it doesn't bother me as a transition to L'Via... there's about 20 seconds of silence at the end of L'Via which isn't a big deal... the song everyone dislikes is probably Miranda since it's 13+ minutes and mostly ambience-esque

but then on to Cassandra, a good half of the album, and there's not really anything bad to speak of there except it does quiet down and space out about 3/4 through the song with drum and bass in the background, and then starts falling back together

I dunno, that's just how the album is, sorta spacey and floaty, I really like it, but can see where others wouldn't, but I don't think it really undermines the music either way

affinityband said:
But it gets a little tiresome after a few listens.
It was pretty much the opposite for me. I didn't like the dissonance and ambience at first, but now I think it's very appropriate, if not a bit excessive at points. The album is meant to be listened to all at once, not on an individual song basis. I can see how the two minutes of dissonance at the end of "The Widow" would be upsetting on an individual song basis, but it's appropriate as a transition as House of Seance said.

As for Amputechture.. I'm on my third listen and I think I can safely say that it's amazing. Better than Frances and De-Loused? I don't know yet.

Frances The Mute simply got boring after a while. De-Loused has awesome music with just enough ambience. I'm listening to the new album and so far, it's sounding really good. I'm definitely surprised.

I love FTM, but I don't think they pulled off the more ambient parts very well at all. It just doesn't feel like it builds up or goes anywhere, and its not very interested to me. I can bear it, but I wish they would have done it better.

NineFeetUnderground said:
theyre probably one of the most challenging (dare i say, pop?) bands of this style in about 30 years. justy fyi

Good laugh.

^you're saying that tmv aren't a challenging "pop" band? name one band more challenging that is as popular as tmv is.

saut said:
^you're saying that tmv aren't a challenging "pop" band? name one band more challenging that is as popular as tmv is.

the guy is just an idiot saut. he contributes nothing here, and then challenges things i say about once a month without anything to back it up. i wouldnt waste your time.

I used to contribute, or at least browse the Opeth forum when it was worth the time. I just come now and then how NFU said.The Mars Volta : they're totally ok.But challenging, innovative?

Not so surprising I'm not browsing this forum after all.

Dev said:
I used to contribute, or at least browse the Opeth forum when it was worth the time. I just come now and then how NFU said.The Mars Volta : they're totally ok.But challenging, innovative?

Not so surprising I'm not browsing this forum after all.

yea, frances was definitely not challenging. in fact, its right up there with shakira for most people as far as accesibility. you can put it on while cooking, or cleaning or while your friends are over having their nails done, etc.