The most depressing song you can think of.

I generally avoid depressing music, but one song that's always seemed to sap me of hope for living is Pink Floyd's "Time" - mainly because of the lyrics.
I'd say the whole album really is depressing. The vocals for the album just have that unique quality. The vocal parts on Echoes really do it for me.

They didn't "sell out," so it doesn't fucking matter.

There was a point where they weren't metal anymore. That's it.

There was a point where they stopped playing metal and started playing faggoty, accessible pop music for stupid retards. If that ain't selling out then I don't know what is, pal.

There was a point where they stopped playing metal and started playing faggoty, accessible pop music for stupid retards. If that ain't selling out then I don't know what is, pal.

Wrong. But whatever, if you think that. I think the music they played on Load and Reload was more mature than any of their previous albums. Not better, mind you; but more mature. It's their own decision if they want to play rock instead of metal.

Wrong. But whatever, if you think that. I think the music they played on Load and Reload was more mature than any of their previous albums. Not better, mind you; but more mature. It's their own decision if they want to play rock instead of metal.

What about St. Anger? There's nothing "mature" about that album, and they made a big deal about how it would be a return to form, meanwhile it sounded like some crappy nu-metal pseudo thrash monstrosity.

^Pretty much. They're beyond their metal days now, I think. They should stick to playing hard rock, and not worry about what people think of them. They may very well have reached the end of their inspiration though, I don't know. St. Anger was pretty bad.

If 'more mature' means 'easier for idiots to understand' then yeah, you're right.

Alice in Chains - Rotten Apple
Yep.
How? The Unforgiven and Fade to Black are Metallica's most depressing songs imo.
To Live Is To Die is up there.

Lots of Metallica discussion here, but I can't fault the s/t to a huge degree since I don't think there was any way they could have known it would do as well as it did. Load is more of an affront. They took the approach of throwing as much shit against the wall as possible, and hoping something stuck. Sadly, if they trimmed the album to 50-55 minutes, it could have been quite good. There are some good songs there. But there are far too many weak songs. Albums rarely need to be 79 minutes, or whatever it was, and that album didn't, for sure.

Should have been something like:
Ain't My Bitch (silly but fun)
Bleeding Me
King Nothing (even though it's an Enter Sandman knockoff)
Until It Sleeps
Wasting My Hate
Hero Of The Day
Thorn Within
Mama Said
Outlaw Torn

Even with this lineup of songs, it's kind of thin, but I think AJFA gets pretty thin after One, also. There's no way Cure, Ronnie or 2 x 4 should have ever made Load.

Yep.
To Live Is To Die is up there.

Lots of Metallica discussion here, but I can't fault the s/t to a huge degree since I don't think there was any way they could have known it would do as well as it did. Load is more of an affront. They took the approach of throwing as much shit against the wall as possible, and hoping something stuck. Sadly, if they trimmed the album to 50-55 minutes, it could have been quite good. There are some good songs there. But there are far too many weak songs. Albums rarely need to be 79 minutes, or whatever it was, and that album didn't, for sure.

Should have been something like:
Ain't My Bitch (silly but fun)
Bleeding Me
King Nothing (even though it's an Enter Sandman knockoff)
Until It Sleeps
Cure
Hero Of The Day
Thorn Within
Ronnie
Outlaw Torn

Fixed how Load should have been