The most depressing song you can think of.

Hypocrisy - Slippin' Away
Suicidal Hold - Suicide (a totally unknown band which released a demo in 1998 called as the song, "Suicide" - don't look for it on Metal Archives, there is not)
In Fieri - The Inner Path
My Dying Bride - The Whore, The Cook And The Mother
Burzum - The Crying Orc
Burzum - Tomhet
Ulver - Every song from "Kveldssanger"
Metallica - Fade To Black
Metallica - The Unforgiven

If 'more mature' means 'easier for idiots to understand' then yeah, you're right.

Load and Reload appeal to a hard rock crowd. There are plenty of intelligent music lovers who don't like metal, but enjoy classic hard rock. That was the direction Metallica chose to take. Your argument doesn't work, unless you mean to call all people who enjoy hard rock "idiots."

They didn't sell out just because they changed genres. Metalheads say Metallica sold out because they all felt betrayed and upset that the band quit playing thrash; but a band doesn't become a sell-out just because they changed their sound.

And Load and Reload are not easier to understand. If you compare the lyrics of Metallica's 80s records with their 90s ones, I think you'll find the older ones lacking. Their writing improved dramatically on their new releases. Don't get upset with Hetfield because he grew up.

Load and Reload appeal to a hard rock crowd. There are plenty of intelligent music lovers who don't like metal, but enjoy classic hard rock. That was the direction Metallica chose to take. Your argument doesn't work, unless you mean to call all people who enjoy hard rock "idiots."

They didn't sell out just because they changed genres. Metalheads say Metallica sold out because they all felt betrayed and upset that the band quit playing thrash; but a band doesn't become a sell-out just because they changed their sound.

And Load and Reload are not easier to understand. If you compare the lyrics of Metallica's 80s records with their 90s ones, I think you'll find the older ones lacking. Their writing improved dramatically on their new releases. Don't get upset with Hetfield because he grew up.

In my opinion, Metallica with Load and Reload have just done what they wanted while not giving a damn about their audience, and this is not commercial.

In my opinion, Metallica with Load and Reload have just done what they wanted while not giving a damn about their audience, and this is not commercial.

This is my opinion too. My beef is with the Black Album. If at any point in their career they sold out, it was there.

I didn't make any claim about hard rock fans. I said that their later material is easier for idiots to understand. That is a claim about their music, not their fans. And yeah, their later material is simpler and more accessible than their earlier material which pretty much = easier for idiots to understand. Good music actually tends to repel morons (or at least that's what I'd like to think). Metallica never were that great anyway so it's really not that important.

I didn't make any claim about hard rock fans. I said that their later material is easier for idiots to understand. That is a claim about their music, not their fans. And yeah, their later material is simpler and more accessible than their earlier material which pretty much = easier for idiots to understand. Good music actually tends to repel morons (or at least that's what I'd like to think). Metallica never were that great anyway so it's really not that important.

I'm cool with leaving it at that. :cool:

I dig them sometimes, but they don't really factor in at all towards my taste in metal.

Haven't been here for a while, but definitely mine:

Alice in Chains - Nutshell

One of my favourite songs too.

Good music actually tends to repel morons (or at least that's what I'd like to think).

This opinion annoys the shit out of me tbh. Since when is all music supposed to be inacessible? It's a great feeling to just bang your fucking head to some balls-out, no-bullshit rock 'n' roll. Just because you can't appreciate that doesn't mean accessible music is shallow and dumb. You might as well be saying that action movies and violent video games are for idiots as well.

^ Jason Newstead said that. What a fag.

actually Jerry Cantrell of AIC said that in the interview, saying what Metallica said. And how else would they respond to that question? No one will change their minds if Metallica said we didnt sell out, you faggots

You mean the song "Satanic Blood" by the band Von I'm assuming? I get more of a sense of incompetence than anything else from it.

No, I mean the song, "Von" off Satanic Blood. It's the last song on the album. If you listen to the main riff throughout that song, it sure gives me the feeling of depression.

You might as well be saying that action movies and violent video games are for idiots as well.

I'm pretty sure he won't but I don't think he considers video games art either, more like stress relievers. Which is really a false perception, imo. There are games that can take you on unforgettable journeys and tell great stories(just like books and movies). With some titles you can almost feel the amount of effort and soul that the developers put in in order to create them.