The most overrated metal bands.

Graveland (and anything else on No Colours Records)
Metallica
Darkthrone
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Anything Mike Patton related

I can see why most people here say what they say. But isn't Neccrophagist done by one person? I would say that is pretty impressive. Perhaps overrated should have more to do with other criteria rather than personal matters of taste. Perhaps hype and consistency with quality of albums should be what you go on. The Beatles are boring as hell to me but to hardcore fans they continually delivered.

I don't see why opeth and nevermore are overrated. Both bands have continually showed creativity and imagination on almost all of their albums where most bands have floundered - not to mention technical ability. Both have done it with modesty and a loyal delivery to their fans. Thats not overrated to me. The very fact that a bunch of Black Metal fans think that their work is overrated can only be flattering to them. Black Metal - I'm a fan, but if you want to talk about boring repetition.

My Votes: Metallica (Basically betrayed their fans and play their old songs as half assed as possible) and any metal band whose first level of appeal is rebeliousness and evil without the technicality to back it up.

Metallica
obviously

Graveland
boring stuff. Thousand Swords is nice, but not that great too..

Agalloch
Since when are acoustic-guitar-pop-ballads "the most atmospheric folk bm ever"??? And don't say i was a purist and unable to appreciate accoustic music. I love Ulver's first three albums. Actually i bought the Agalloch CD because it was said to be like Ulver. But it is a shame for Ulver to be put into the same sentence with Agalloch (IMO).

Freanan said:
Agalloch
Since when are acoustic-guitar-pop-ballads "the most atmospheric folk bm ever"??? And don't say i was a purist and unable to appreciate accoustic music. I love Ulver's first three albums. Actually i bought the Agalloch CD because it was said to be like Ulver. But it is a shame for Ulver to be put into the same sentence with Agalloch (IMO).
It just occured to me that you're a flaming homosexual. :devil:

Overrated metal:

1. Led Zepplin (ok, not really metal, but you can't have an overrated thread without having Led Zepplin)
2. Meshuggah - I guess not really overrated, but I thought I'd grab the chance to say they suck,
3. Graveland - Boring.
4. Darkthrone - see Graveland.
5. Arcturus - Crap!
6. Ulver - See Arcturus.
7. Burzum - I don't mind some of Hvis Lyset .. but overrated to no end.
8. Blut Aus Nord - *Yawn*
9. Venom - Why do people rate Black Metal so much? It's nothing more than ok music played at a mediocre level of competence.
10. Possessed - Sepultura were better and so were Death. Again, just because it was released earlier it does not make it better.

:lol: SYL crossed my mind, because I've thought everything I've heard by them is sub-par, but then I thought I hadn't really heard enough of them to say.

But yeah I'd agree based on what I've heard.

Necrophagist?Decapitated?Asphyx?Isis? Come on, for about to be overrated they need to have been hyped up or blown out of proportion, no one gives a rats ass in the first place about alot of the bands you guys are naming.

Most overrated in my opinion

Black Sabbath(one of the first, but not one of the best)
Iron Maiden(All of their songs sound the same)
Metallica
Burzum and Graveland are just comical
Anthrax
Testament

High On Maiden said:
:lol: SYL crossed my mind, because I've thought everything I've heard by them is sub-par, but then I thought I hadn't really heard enough of them to say.

But yeah I'd agree based on what I've heard.
I haven't liked anything I've heard by them, and I've seen them (as well as anything Devin Townsend has ever done) praised endlessly. Very, very overrated.

Blut Aus Nord have released three fucking superb albums, the only album which can be described in that way is the relatively poor Mystical Beast.... I appreciate that the new one is an easy one not to like, but most people slating them haven't heard the first two I bet.

Deicide's Legion is certainly 7.5-8/10 material, the rest is overrated yes.

Most of Graveland's work is somewhat overrated, but almost all of it is at least decent. Thousand Swords, on the other hand, is hugely underrated by most, though perhaps understandably.

Possessed spawned a whole genre... of course they're going to sound dated now.

I can understand people finding Transilvanian Hunger boring, but Soulside Journey and UNDER A FUNERAL MOON?!

Burzum... not even going there, clichéd response but my GOD is it your loss.

Venom yes Arcturus (holy shit) yes Anthrax yes Testament yes.

Sabbath mostly yes, but a few songs fucking rule. Same with Metallica, Iron Maiden, Zeppelin and Exodus. Early Carcass is alright but yep; all their work's overrated. Ulver's BM stuff isn't that bad but it certainly isn't good, either.

Asphyx?! NO. The Rack remains awesomely powerful to this day. Obituary are a little overrated but Cause of Death still rules.

Hypocrisy were decent during their DM period but they were never anything to write home about. Some Amon Amarth is enjoyable though hardly stellar. Decapitated and Isis suck, yes. Death are overrated but have had a few alright releases.

Necrophagist aren't amazing but they're pretty good. Psycroptic, on the other hand, are terribly terribly overrated. Mithras were overrated by Terrorizer and a few people around these parts, but I like them.

Solitude Aeternus are pretty good and I don't see them mentioned much. Early Cathedral rules, but everything since then does not (and to cap it off they suck live). King Diamond... yep. Dissection yep.

The Chasm? Fuck off, Thraxz. It's even more impossible to overrate The Chasm than it is to overrate Hell Awaits, and that's saying plenty. Some of Nile's work is overrated, agreed, some of it is deserving of praise though.

Now for a few of my own (I'm thinking of "extreme metallers" here):
Watain, Averse Sefira (though the new one's really good), Angantyr, Ancient Rites, post-BS Therion, Cryptopsy, Evoken.