top 5 most overrated bands

cthulufhtagn

Went Out for Smokes 13 Years Ago
Jul 19, 2004
south of washington
here's a good one, dunno if it's been done before...

some bands are so fucking overrated i can't handle it...and it's something that is hardly unique to the metal scene. what do you guys think are the top 5 most overrated bands of all time? for me:

1. The Beatles - No question. Great band, legendary even, and yet still totally overrated. I maintain that Sgt. Peppers is the most overrated album of all time.
2. Nirvana - The figurehead of a movement with legitimate roots that eventually came to compromise everything its founders stood for. Candlebox anyone?
3. Kiss - Kiss fucking suck, period.
4. U2 - It's like some kind of sad joke that they still enjoy such immense popularity despite the fact that for the better part of their career they've churned out album after album of watered-down, limp-dick pop.
5. Radiohead - Once again, just because a band is great doesn't mean they can't be overrated...in fact it probably just increases the likelihood. I get really tired of the music press sucking their collective dick.

Just missed the cut: the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Coldplay

I disagree about the Beatles, but somewhat agree about Sgt Pepper.

Until the Beatles, 45 rpm singles sold more than albums. When the Beatles first decided to quit touring, they began concentrating on albums as being cohesive works of art as opposed to a bunch of filler tracks thrown in with a single. They also began recording when two track mono was considered regular for pop music, and their ambitions in the studio led to multi track stereo for rock and roll.

also, first intentional feedback
first "foreign" instrument (sitar)
first tape manipulation (i.e., backwards, slowed down, etc)
and all of this doesn't even begin to cover their social significance.

so....you don't have to like the Beatles...but you've got to recognize their towering significance.

Revolver > Sgt Pepper

cthulufhtagn said:

some bands are so fucking overrated i can't handle it...and it's something that is hardly unique to the metal scene. what do you guys think are the top 5 most overrated bands of all time? for me:

1. The Beatles - No question. Great band, legendary even, and yet still totally overrated. I maintain that Sgt. Peppers is the most overrated album of all time.
2. Nirvana - The figurehead of a movement with legitimate roots that eventually came to compromise everything its founders stood for. Candlebox anyone?
4. U2 - It's like some kind of sad joke that they still enjoy such immense popularity despite the fact that for the better part of their career they've churned out album after album of watered-down, limp-dick pop.
5. Radiohead - Once again, just because a band is great doesn't mean they can't be overrated...in fact it probably just increases the likelihood. I get really tired of the music press sucking their collective dick.

I pretty much agree with everything that you've said here. U2 was great in the beginning, but now...

The majority of music fans worldwide think that The Beatles is the BEST BAND EVER. Even non music fans think that too. That makes them OVERRATED.
About the first intentinal feedback i would disagree, Kinks?
About the first "foreign instrument" hmm that doesnt count.. H.P. Lovecraft used the flute in greater dozes, when The Beatles were a boyband.

lizard said:
as for overrateds:

White Stripes, Hives, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, all these fucking bands that Rolling Stone slavers over because they're so afraid they'll miss the next big trend.
seriously. there are so many of those bands they're utterly interchangeable. the strokes, the killers, the bravery, the shins, etc etc etc. i can't even tell them apart.

and let me make it clear that i love the beatles but cmon seriously, "love me do"?

cthulufhtagn said:
and let me make it clear that i love the beatles but cmon seriously, "love me do"?

Good point. It seems that the worst songs The Beatles ever recorded are the ones that get the most attention... I love them as well, but I think their early "more pop-orientated" stuff is pretty bland and boring.

Marksveld said:
Good point. It seems that the worst songs The Beatles ever recorded are the ones that get the most attention... I love them as well, but I think their early "more pop-orientated" stuff is pretty bland and boring.
agreed, and even the later stuff has a lot of fluff. "her majesty's a very nice girl...."

cthulufhtagn said:

hmm ... I agree for the most part, but oddly enough all the bands you mentioned were not known for great musicianship or reinventing the rock wheel (except maybe the Beatles) but rather for getting the audience involved on a deep personal level into their music ... same with the bands that missed the cut. that says a hell of a lot more than anything else ... and it's something that 99% of bands cannot ever achieve.

we had a similar discussion with the guys last night at Slough Feg about Slayer ... they are just pure agression ... if you go in to disect them ... that is not their point.

Aggaloch, Opeth, a bunch of other crappy "deep" bands you all like.

and Pink fucking Floyd, fuck them.

and fuck off Radiohead, what a boring pile of shit that crap is.

then all that stupid shit like somone said up there: the Yea Yea Yea's, White Stripes, Hives, Strokes, all that indie rock fucking boring shit.

IOfTheStorm said:
H.P. Lovecraft used the flute in greater dozes

Lovecraft made music? I think I just got a boner...yep...sure did.

KILL TULLY said:
and Pink fucking Floyd, fuck them.

moutzaER.gif

KILL TULLY said:
Lovecraft made music? I think I just got a boner...yep...sure did.

xristodoulos.gif
moutzaER.gif

Opeth are indeed horribly overrated. I enjoy their first four, but the rest of their discography varies from "above decent" to "slightly below mediocre", in my opinion.

I'm trying to put aside my personal tastes (e.g Jeff Buckley is not my favorite but he was authentic and certainly worth some of the praise) and the musical paysage (notoriety , even if it's highly important , and innovation as the definitive goal) as much as possible :

My Dying Bride : Never saw the point with this band. I began with "Like Gods of the Sun" , this may explain much .. Although I acknowledge "Turn Loose the Swans" as something big for its' time , they fail to move the least of me. And I'm afraid to say that I find some of their stuff to fall under the category of "borderline-kitsch". None of their records have grabbed my attention , in bad or good . So , are they one of the best Doom bands of all-time? I doubt so . 2.5/5 Overrated.

Soilwork : A second-tier with a large following. Their "best" stuff is behind them , still they keep on releasing records , one a year with an impressive timing. While "Natuarl Born Chaos" was something quite new/fresh (regardless of the quality) , "Figure Number Five" is , at best , what lasted in the studio dustbin for the recording sessions of NBC.I know Soilwork quite well and their last album "Stabbing the Drama" isn't worth a 3 out of 10. Not only it is a NBC/FNF copycat but it hasn't even the tenth of the "grip" ( d'oh French sucks
supergrin.gif
) of the above mentionned . Take that track trying to come back to the early days . Pathetic. 4/5 Overrated

Devin Towsend
:
Sort of killing myself in this one (Dev .. you know) , I'm an ex-fan : Towsend is one of the most overrated people in Metal since "Aceclerated Evolution"." Ocean Machine" has some good stuff and I guess "Terria" and "Infinity" too but it turns too often into placebo once you've discovered something else (i.e darker and more interesting stuff). "Accelerated Evolution" brings nothing more on the table and lacks of emotion and sponteneity (sp? d'oh #3). "SYL" and "Alien" blow badly. I have no hope for the future. Overrated 4.5/5 post-physicist and 2.5/5 for his whole career.

More to come..