top 5 most overrated bands

Dev said:
I'm trying to put aside my personal tastes (e.g Jeff Buckley is not my favorite but he was authentic and certainly worth some of the praise) and the musical paysage (notoriety , even if it's highly important , and innovation as the definitive goal) as much as possible :

My Dying Bride : Never saw the point with this band. I began with "Like Gods of the Sun" , this may explain much .. Although I acknowledge "Turn Loose the Swans" as something big for its' time , they fail to move the least of me . And I'm afraid to say that I find some of their stuff to fall under the category of "borderline-kitsch". None of their records have grabbed my attention , in bad or good . So , are they one of the best Doom bands of all-time? I doubt so . 2.5/5 Overrated.
:dopey:

Dev said:
My Dying Bride : Never saw the point with this band. I began with "Like Gods of the Sun" , this may explain much .. Although I acknowledge "Turn Loose the Swans" as something big for its' time , they fail to move the least of me. And I'm afraid to say that I find some of their stuff to fall under the category of "borderline-kitsch". None of their records have grabbed my attention , in bad or good . So , are they one of the best Doom bands of all-time? I doubt so . 2.5/5 Overrated.
Five words.

SYMPHONAIRE

INFERNUS

ET

SPERA

EMPYRIUM

Yes, everything after TLtS is acceptable at best and horribly cheesy whiny goth junk at worst, and TLtS itself is deeply overrated, but the stuff before that... Whoa. Get "Trinity" and the first album. TRUST ME

#1 darkthrone - good band but totally and completely overrated by most.
#2 megadeth - shit band that people think are good
#3 pre-load metallica - mediocre albums that lots of people put on pedestals even though they're CRAP
#4 almost ever lln recording - murky, quiet tape recordings of sub-standard black metal that people only like for its obscurity and e-penis factor
#5 at the gates - good band but lots of people (GoD :rolleyes: ) suck their penises far too hard

Judas Priest - maybe they have some great songs I've never heard, but 99% of what I have heard is crap (excluding Painkiller)

Iron Maiden - they have some pretty cool stuff, but nothing worthy of their legend status

Kiss - Kiss just suck at pretty much everything, what a horrible joke

Nirvana - a bad joke that nobody got

Pearl Jam - sad to seem them getting the fans when the much better and more talented Soundgarden wasn't as popular (though still pretty popular I guess)

haha, great thread, cthulu. i dont really have anything to add though really.
are pink floyd overrated? i mean, every goddam time i turn on the radio....meh, im not a big fan, just asking.

@erik: haha! whered you get that sig? that's sad.

Aside from the obvious (Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, post-"Still Life"-Opeth...), pretty highly rated bands like Amorphis or Sentenced never did anything for me, can't spot a single trace of genius in there.

Also the whole thing about Naglfar is beyond me. black/death metal doesn't get more tedious and redundant than "Pariah". All songs are basically identical and you can guess the tracks' turns seconds in advance with a 99% success rate.

Oh, and Jesu... my expectations were huge for this project after the first bunch of reviews and the fact that some Godflesh enjoys a big status in my musical resumé. But despite close attention, my opinion on the two cds ranges from meh to nothing special. There's even some cheesiness about that I quite dislike.

I could list some other stuff if I thought about it, don't really care though.

Slayer - seriously people, this is shit. No, seriously.

Radiohead - I tried, but they are just boring with pseudo emotion.

My Dying Bride - they are not depressing, they are funny. and they suck.

Cynic - Awful vocals aside, the music is really nothing special

Dan Swano bands - Aside from PTM and Edge of Sanity, nothing this man has been involved in really impresses me, yet people seem to jump at the opportunity to get any album he plays on. Bloodbath is the utmost offender in the overrated category.

technical bullshit doesn't impress, and usually pisses me off. and anyway, Gorguts did it better, yet a lot of people don't even know about them

Maiden and Priest always rule everything else :)

I can't stand people who regard indie bands (ALL indie) as god's greatest gift since Jesus, usually simply because they used to listen to rock/metal but now they've 'matured' or 'broadened their horizons' and indie is all they listen to now, so therefore it's the best ever. Uhm, no. It's all shit just like yourself.
And what the hell's up with this 'matured/broadened' junk? Anyone can say this, but only wankers flaunt this.