Most Overrated Band

Yea, U2 may be overrated now, when they were younger they were a KICK ASS band... but you can always rely on them for quality work, moreso than alot of 'popular' bands... same with Radiohead, you'd have to listen to their albums as a whole instead of just listening to the 'single' and passing judgement on them. 'OK Computer' is fascinating. Alot of critics are too afraid to talk shit about them because they're one of the 'purgatory' bands, i.e. bands that are actually good and deserve their many fans yet have indie appeal.
TOOL are great. At least they had the balls to invite King Crimson to open for them on their last tour... now I can respect that.

Most overrated? I don't think In Flames or Katatonia or Soilwork or Dream Theater are overrated... because if they were they would be extremely popular :lol:
Katatonia are great songwriters, for one...

Well my vote goes to the following bands, some with mixed feelings:

- Blink 182 ... doing the same thing that NOFX has been doing for almost 20 years in a 'presentable' manner.
- Limp Bizkit ... they used to be a hilarious good old heavy band until they became pre-packaged rebellion for teens. At least Korn had some originality to them (their first album is super.)
- Metallica ... not even going to start on this one. Kirky is awfully overrated as a guitar player, although he has gotten better over the years (he finally learned to bend in tune!) They just represent the 'bigness' and 'manliness' of metal to 15 year olds now.
- Green Day ... another NOFX protoge that eventually made it big, but 'Time Of Your Life' is proof that smart marketing can inflate a regular nothing-special song into a phenomenom.
- Godsmack, Staind ... carbon copies of Alice In Chains, although I can respect them because they toured endlessly for 5 years straight before making it big. Unlike...
- Sum 41 ... pointless, irrelevant. Signifying the death of punk.
- Cradle Of Filth ... everything up to 'Midian' was great. Now that they're signed to Sony America, Dani has said they will do a 'goth punk' album. They work solely off of a name-basis now ('It's CRADLE, dude.') The black metal equivalent of Metallica.
- new Dimmu is kinda overrated IMO also... carbon-copy black metal.
- Therion .. Sadistik summed it up best. Hollenthon kicked their asses.
- Alot of power metal ... not really my thing first of all, there are only a couple of bands in this genre I can listen to. It all sounds the same.

Basically alot of stuff on MTV isn't special at all, but people don't know anything about music outside of what they're force fed so they'll pass it along as 'good.'

Underrated : Depeche Mode, Opeth, Katatonia, Jeff Buckley, Jeff Beck, Queen, Dusk, Anathema, The Police... the enitre metal underground (hell you guys know what goes here.)

I've heard prolly 5 Alice In Chains tunes (yeah i know... i need to buy some of their albums) But i don't hear such a HUGE Alice In Chains ripoff from Godsmack and Staind... i can hear it a little bit (particularly Godsmack's FIRST album) but i mean i think these bands are much heavier... more groove to them, i never heard anything heavy really from Alice In Chains... did they even use a 7 string? I dunno... both Godsmack and Staind sound a lot heavier to me than Alice In Chains. (and just so i don't get fuckin ragged on by some idiot again, NO I DON'T THINK GODSMACK AND STAIND ARE THE HEAVIEST, MOST AGGRESSIVE, BRUTAL BANDS AROUND)

Originally posted by Misanthrope

Egiptian music is widely based on a reduced version of the Harmonic Minor Scale ( a Minor scale with a sharp 7th ) wich is widely used in music since a couple hundred of years. To the dumbass idiots like yourself it might sound like just another band using harmonic minor scales ( something that morbid angel has used if im not mistaken ) but to someone who actually puts atention it IS an egiptian scale. Saying Nile sounds like Morbid Angel cause of the egiptian scale SIMILARITY with the harmonic minor scale is like saying Katatonia sounds like blues cause katatonia uses natural minor scales and Blues is a simplified version of the natural minor scale, but the key if the lack of the sound wich is what makes the blues sound and is what makes the egiptian sound found in Nile through virtually every fucking goddamn riff they make. If you would give the band a chance and listen to what i just said for 5 minutes you would realize you dont need to use crazy egiptian instruments all the time to make strongly egiptian influenced music.

all in all that's only a slight alteration. not big deal of an innovation, not to mention how repetitive can they get to be. I can't really stay awake through a Nile album. believe me, I've tried.

Originally posted by Bumblefoot
I dunno... both Godsmack and Staind sound a lot heavier to me than Alice In Chains.

Well yeah, but Godsmack and Staind take AIC's formula and make it even heavier, take out all the psychedelic and blues influences and only leave the heavy.
Godsmack and Staind don't use 7 strings.
Godsmack uses drop-D, Staind goes down to C# and now, all the way to G. In fact, Staind's guitarist uses strings so thick, Ibanez had to make him custom tuning pegs so they could fit!

Cool bands, but I can't dig 'em.

ya know, as i was writing that, i was thinking someone would say that... Well i know that Mike Mushkok (or however you spell it) uses BARITONE guitars, which, just for comparison is like a 6 string bass almost (tuned usually to B) Coal Chamber also uses them as well as a few other bands... Also Gosmack tunes down to at least C on some songs anyway... I knew all this but i just didn't feel like explaining it so i said they use 7's :) I really was referring to the sound more than the guitar type. :cool:

(and just so i don't get fuckin ragged on by some idiot again, NO I DON'T THINK GODSMACK AND STAIND ARE THE HEAVIEST, MOST AGGRESSIVE, BRUTAL BANDS AROUND)

:lol:

That was aimed at me I gather??

About the 4/4 time sig, I read in an interview with Ron Jarzombek that almost the entire "Energetic Disassembly" album was 4/4 time and it is one of the best technical metal albums ever made. Sorry Trapped....

And I think the most overrated metal (real metal, that is) band is Opeth. Everyone here seems to think they are the best band ever, but I just don't hear it. Don't get me wrong, they definitely are good, but not nearly as good as everyone makes them out to be.

Later.

I actually have a bit of a soft spot for Cradle of Filth, which can probably be atributed to the fact that they were the first underground/extreme metal band I was exposed to. I remember being about 14 and seeing Cradle of Filth's Dusk and Her Embrace at the local harmony house. I simply had to had it based solely on the artwork. I had no idea what to expect when I put it on for the first time, but It changed my life.

It was so intensely dark and twisted (come on, I was 14), and unlike anything I'd ever heard before. I remember that I used to lay in bed in the dark and play Dusk and Her Embrace and MDB's Angel and the Dark River back to back. It was such an emotional rollercoaster. I wish I could recapture those feelings now. It's been a long time since anything has made me feel that way.

Anyway, yeah, Cradle will always have a special place in my heart..even if they are image obsessed wankers.

Hey jimbob, good to see you somewhere other than than Nevermore board. :lol:

...And about the 4/4 time thing... Do you support the statement about soilwork being technical?? Jesus. They are not technical at all. 4/4 time sig was just a reference point. I could have gone on about the fact that there is ZERO polyrhythms too... but i didn't.

Hmmmmm.... that was a good question, my opinion of the most overrated band is Soulreaper, the so-called heirs to the Dissection throne... I can't understand how a band can be successful by ripping of another band who is in exile (Jon being in prison and all) but Soulreaper can't compare to Dissection, mainly for the fact that the albums that they released are columns to the metal world, and basicly for all the emotions that flow in that music

are naming bands that are not popular. If a band is not popular how could they be over-rated?

I think it is logical that popularity is needed factor to consider when judging if a band is over-rated.

all in all that's only a slight alteration. not big deal of an innovation, not to mention how repetitive can they get to be. I can't really stay awake through a Nile album. believe me, I've tried.

Slight alteration: Fine
Not a big deal of innovation: Fine
Repetitive: Fine*

But the Egiptian sound is there, is not for everyone granted but saying that they have little egiptian influence is dumb they just convine extreme guitars in egiptian scales and egiptian instruments ( of course in egiptian scales ) from time to time.

*Its supposed to be repetitive imho cause its really primitive music. Egiptian music is what 5000 years old? For the time it has been around its very complicated music, but neverhtless old primitive music with a lot of egiptian lore and tradition to it. Again not for everyone but i dont think Nile was ever intented to be a groundbraking never-repeat-a-single-riff kinda band it was just meant to be a brutal approach to really really old music and tradicions.

And im starting to think Nile doesnt cualifies as overrated cause i think it gets just as much crap as good critics.

^ let's resurrect a 6yr old thread to write the word opeth. great contribution. pure hilarity. but did it really take 6yrs to think of that response?

In a way Dragonforce is both under and over rated, mostly because so many people like it because they're so cool, and many hate it because it's so popular.

In flames is abit overrated, the music is pretty good and enjoyable, but nothing like other bands of similar genres, etc. CoB.

Deep Purple and AC-DC are just shit, but I quess it's ok as they're so old.

And btw. Cradle of Filth is awesome, almost the same level as Opeth or Stratovarius.

Iron Maiden and Dickinson
Judas Priest
Black Sabbat and Ozzy

Hell yeah, especially Dickinson. He sounds like a fag..

Their music is not good listening now but they were the creators of this stuff we are listening to and conjuring something up from nothing deserves appraise too.

However having all the respect and stuff their music simply can not grab my attention NOW, and since I am not living in early 80s I can not admire what they do that much..

Its like praising an SL 500 1960 model Mercedes and riding it today. That car may have been an outstanding car for that era but it is simply not now. (although before you tell I am well aware of the fact that analogy is not perfect since music taste is intangible and stuff. whatever)

Deep Purple and AC-DC are just shit, but I quess it's ok as they're so old.

I hope you're being sarcastic, if you aren't read further:

Along with Sabbath and Zeppelin, Purple cooked up a heavy metal meal that was ultra hot and spicy. AC/DC jumped on that wagon during the late 70s. While your superczars are switching from long-hair and denim to shorts and a crew-cut AC/DC have showed the finger and stuck to producing rock n' roll as God intended it to be.

If these two names didn't exist your playlist will be ruled by Spears, Knowles, Beckham. In short, STFU.

My overrated band would be Rammstein. IMO, they are a suckfest.