Most Overrated Bands

Odysseus

champion of ithaca
Nov 20, 2003
Northern Virginia
After reading the recent thread dealing with nirvana, I had to ask the question, what are the most overrated bands today and in history? I personally think that nirvana is the most overrated band ever and that system of a down is currently the most overrated band. That song Chop Suey just sends jolts of pure disguist down my spine every time i hear it.

yeah, Nirvana and metallica by far, Ride and justice were there best. The only decient album nirvana did was Incestacide.

Also, I wanna throw in Led Zepplin and Lynyrd Skynrd :puke: ...as way WAY overrated...

and I was gonna comment on Luis's post about IM and Pantera, but then I saw he was listening to Yes....:)

I like a few of those bands... Zeppelin, even some System of a Down. But yeah, they're over rated from time to time. 'Cept Zeppelin - Russel would kick your ass for that. :)

The Beatles, but I appreciate the fact that they influenced a lot of bands that I like - directly or indirectly.
The Rolling Stones. WTF? If your name is practically "rock and roll," then DISTORT YOUR DAMN GUITAR!
Nirvana. You say you're not into them, people look at you like you have 3 heads.
Pantera.
The Doors.
Numetal.

But number one has to be OPETH. I don't have anything against them, but people act like every other band is below Opeth. Not to mention the "Most Brilliant Metal Band!" stickers on their CDs. Bleh.

RobbM said:
yeah, Nirvana and metallica by far, Ride and justice were there best. The only decient album nirvana did was Incestacide.

Also, I wanna throw in Led Zepplin and Lynyrd Skynrd :puke: ...as way WAY overrated...

and I was gonna comment on Luis's post about IM and Pantera, but then I saw he was listening to Yes....:)

I agree with Skynard everybody thinks he is some god and crazy talented guitarist. I swear if I hear sweet home alabama one more time this week.....

First off, just wanted to say that the Beatles are not overrated one bit. Any credit they get, they deserve and then some. I could probably name 50 Beatles tunes off the top of my head that are fantasic, catchy tunes that I could sing from start to finish from memory. FIFTY!!!!!! Some bands spend their whole career just to get that one song that gains some decent status on the charts. The Beatles were SO innovative, SO unique, and probably the best pop song writers of all time. There's more derived from the Beatles than meets the eye in terms of music these days. Why do you think Portnoy and Paul Gilbert played the Yellow Matter Custard show and revere them so much. Everything from Symphony X to Type O to Racer X to Dream Theater has Beatles written ALL over it. But that's it for the Beatles rant....

Here's where I really get into trouble ;)....

I think Joe Satriani is obsurdly overrated, probably the single most overrated guitarist and composer. All his themes and songs fall apart into a sloppy jammy mess that is mostly just tricks, slides, and harmonic bends and no real taste.
Blind Guardian is great, but they get way more credit than they deserve considering the amount of really boring material on all their albums and the fact that they don't have one single good, tastefull solo.
For classic rock biggies, Zepplin is overrated, especially Jimmy 'sloppy' Paige, but at least they were innovative. The Rolling Stones, however, are just completely overrated in every aspect available.
Metallica is overrated, duh, Kirk Hammet needs to be forcefully told not to play.... EVER AGAIN!
Here's a REALLY harsh one...I think Cacophony is overatted in the metal/shred community. They have some stuff that is just mindbogglingly good, but they couldn't write a catchy riff to save their lives, and their singer was hands down the least talented human on the face of the planet. Their shred was about 50% fantasic and 50% filler I could really have done without, nothing in between.

Conversly, who doesn't get nearly enough credit:
Brian May from Queen
Type O Negative
Gamma Ray (I won't even start, but what a joy it is to listen to those guys)
Jordan Rudess (everyone looks at Dream Theater and sees Petrucci and Portnoy, but the REAL prodigy there is Jordan. He's amazing. GET FEEDING THE WHEEL)

Alright, that's my rant, don't go getting too up in arms over it if ya disagree now ;)

COBSteele02 said:
I agree with Skynard everybody thinks he is some god and crazy talented guitarist. I swear if I hear sweet home alabama one more time this week.....

dude, I hear your pain, I lived in Florida for 3 years, nuff said....:ill:

Brian May is totally sick, I love the Highlander CD he did..

ok ok, instead of the Beatles then, how bout ELVIS??!?!? I get Ill just thinking about him :puke:

Cacophony is overrated, had the WORST singer, no real catchy songs, but had some of the most amazing guitar parts ive ever heard..of course Cacophony still kicks ass just for the whole Jason Becker/Marty duo.
So, on the other side, I'll say that Jason Becker is far FAR underrated, especially his Perspectives album...:worship:

Metallica needs no elaboration, but I cannot stop having this anti-DT vibe...I don't even want their new cd, this vibe is so strong in me. Why? Well, whenever a band that I like gets really big, I tend to lose interest in them...I know that sounds really bad, but I don't think I'm the only one that feels that way. Yes, they are great musicians and deserve to be recognized as such, but....eh, in my mind they have become overrated. Too much hype for me to stand. As for Opeth, I'm starting to get that way for them too.

Speaking of which, I bought Images and Words (supposedly their most popular work) last week to see what all the fuss is about and with all due respect to Petrucci's skill & virtuosirty, I wasn't overly impressed. Found the Album a bit on the boring side and the Vocals sound shite. Which brings me to the conclusion that Dream Theatre are a well overrated band.

The Metal Chick said:
Metallica needs no elaboration, but I cannot stop having this anti-DT vibe...I don't even want their new cd, this vibe is so strong in me. Why? Well, whenever a band that I like gets really big, I tend to lose interest in them...I know that sounds really bad, but I don't think I'm the only one that feels that way. Yes, they are great musicians and deserve to be recognized as such, but....eh, in my mind they have become overrated. Too much hype for me to stand. As for Opeth, I'm starting to get that way for them too.
Believe me....DT are not that popular. It is not like they are being played on radio stations or anything. I don't like when a band I like suddenly breaks it big on radio and the charts either, but I don't consider it annoying as long as they stay away from those two things. They are well known amongst metal crowds, but that crowd (which we all are obviously a part of) is still and underground scene. If any band got too popular from progressive music it would be Rush. I don't think DT are too overrated because even though a lot of people like them, a lot of those people like me still don't consider them in their top 5 favorite bands.

Anyway, I TOTALLY agree that The Beatles are WAY overrated. I think that every time I hear a tune by them. I don't see how they started rock music, I mean they sound so poppy. Do they get that credit just because maybe they were the first to use electric guitars? Oh well....their songs are just so boring and basic, even considering they are an old group.

I actually like System of a Down even if they have become really popular. I still hate how the radio plays a song (Chop Suey) until it burns you from the inside. I mainly think they sound somewhat unique, and have interesting lyrics.

Even though I kind of like them, Tool is definately overrated. Toolheads love to claim how great and technical they are. If they like Tool I wonder why they don't listen to prog metal which has better technical bands. (ie. Spiral Architect, Zero Hour, Opeth.....).

Soundgarden is a band I haven't heard much of but have always heard people praise. When a song of theirs would come on the radio and at he end the DJ would say "that was Soundgarde with...." I would go "oh is that Soundgarden?", "they don't sound that great". I know a lot of people mainly praise the singer Chris Cornell (I think thats his first name?). But now since his new band (the old RATM band) called Audioslave came out all over the radio I don't see why people love his vox so much. I love the RATM band but don't think they play as well in "his" band as they did as RATM. But almost every morning my alarm clock radio turns on the local rock station, and almost every morning they are playing and Audioslave tune, and I CAN'T STAND his voice. It is soooo terrible, my jaw drops with astonishment at why the hell he gets so much praise? Please, I want him to just shut up forever and retire. He has no vocal range whatsoever and imo is hurting the old RATM band drastically. And they broke up RATM because they thought Zack de la Rocha was hurting them? Oh man! I think he is a million times worse than Kurt Cobain (yes I said it!).

Last but not least, that band called Symphony X is just soooo overrated and won't stop their "wankering", I think people are crazy to ever like them even a litte tiny bit. Lol.....of course I am just joking!

The Beatles (I'm not saying that they weren't great, but just that they weren't as good as the hype tries to make them. If I hear "Yesterday" one more time, I'll kill somebody. They did some great songs, but some really stupid, boring ones too.)
Metallica (I thought that their first release was a decent metal album, but they've just gotten more and more boring and unoriginal since then. If they had been from Seattle, they would have been Nirvana.)
Nirvana (Started out as a copy band, ended as a copy band. Nothing new. Nothing original. Dirty. Smelly. Whiny.)
Cradle of Filth (I keep trying to give them a chance, but I laugh every time I hear the vocals. And the music is rather uninteresting.)
Eric Clapton (Not really a band, but still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated. I still say that "slow hand" was literal.)
Led Zeppelin (I hate to include them, but I have to. They had some great songs, but some really lame ones, too. And Robert Plant was the most overrated of the band.)
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, and Pearl Jam (Oh, just stop it already! I'm starting to fall asleep!)
Jazz (Not a band, but a genre. There are definitely some great musicians, but I'm never as impressed as the jazz addicts think I'll be. I don't really want to say "boring" but I can't think of a better word that means "boring.")
Pink Floyd (I have never been able to find the redeeming qualities of this band. I had a guy tell me once that you had to be stoned to appreciate them, so I guess I never will!)

I guess I better stop there, before I offend more people. :)