Most Overrated Bands

symphonyXjapan said:
Soundgarden is a band I haven't heard much of but have always heard people praise. When a song of theirs would come on the radio and at he end the DJ would say "that was Soundgarde with...." I would go "oh is that Soundgarden?", "they don't sound that great". I know a lot of people mainly praise the singer Chris Cornell (I think thats his first name?). But now since his new band (the old RATM band) called Audioslave came out all over the radio I don't see why people love his vox so much. I love the RATM band but don't think they play as well in "his" band as they did as RATM. But almost every morning my alarm clock radio turns on the local rock station, and almost every morning they are playing and Audioslave tune, and I CAN'T STAND his voice. It is soooo terrible, my jaw drops with astonishment at why the hell he gets so much praise? Please, I want him to just shut up forever and retire. He has no vocal range whatsoever and imo is hurting the old RATM band drastically. And they broke up RATM because they thought Zack de la Rocha was hurting them? Oh man! I think he is a million times worse than Kurt Cobain (yes I said it!).

Soundgarden was my favorite band for five years, so I feel an obligation to point some things out to you. In his prime Chris Cornell was the best. He was one of the small number of male singers who could go into the upper registers without sounding like a hermaphroditic freak (i.e. James Labrie, no offense if you like that sort of thing).

Unfortunately he has severely damaged his voice. Years of screaming and smoking are finally beginning to take their toll.

If you want to learn why Chris Cornell is(was) often compared to a 'banshee' I suggest the following songs:

"Superunknown"
"4th of July"
"Jesus Christ Pose"
"Slaves and Bulldozers"
"Reach Down" - Temple of the Dog
"Beyond the Wheel"

Also try "All Night Thing" from Temple of the Dog and "Follow my Way" from his solo disc to get a sense of the artistic range he once possessed.

And, as a sidenote, I think Audioslave is terrible and I hate his the way Cornell's vocal sound on that "Cochise" song. And I think he has taken gigantic leaps backwards by joining the sub-standard musicians from RATM.

Odysseus said:
And as for Iron Maiden, they have some cool instrumental parts on Powerslave, but most of it is just too cheesy and bright for me to get into. Isn't metal supposed to be at least somewhat dark/heavy? Also, I can't stand the vocals.
I just have to say that despite my comment above, Maiden from 82-88 were the best band of their time. It's only the stuff since then that is (mostly) uninspired, boring, rubbish. And the money-grubbing, cash-whore of a reunion.

Alex999 said:
I just have to say that despite my comment above, Maiden from 82-88 were the best band of their time. It's only the stuff since then that is (mostly) uninspired, boring, rubbish. And the money-grubbing, cash-whore of a reunion.

I love Iron Maiden and all, but I just couldnt understand there image. Even the name for the band doesnt suit them at all. You'd think just looking at there awesome covers that there music is wicked dark and heavy death metal, then you hear songs like Run to the Hills and Icarus and its totally different that what you would ever expect..

Then you'd look at Dying fetus's covers and its totally opposite...huh....:headbang:

buchkoba00 said:
I hate these threads, so I will (for the 1232 time on the internet) say:

JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE A BAND DOESN'T MAKE THEM OVERRATED

The point of this thread isn't to just say "oh I think this band sucks so therefore they're overrated." no, it also deals with bands that we do like which we think are overrated. Good example for me being blind guardian who i like a lot based on Nightfall in Middle Earth. I had heard from some friends something like "this is the greatest band ever, better than symphony x even." I do like Blind Guardian but I don't think they're as great as I had heard. Of course this ENTIRE thread is based on OPINION. opinions from other fans of similar tastes in music, which might affect what the next cd I'm going to get will be. It all serves a purpose

The Stormbringer said:
In Flames. Everyone just loves them for their supposedly "unbelievable melodies and atmosphere", but all I can hear are basic, boring downtuned riffs and the worst piece of crap ever called vocalist.
LOL!.....In Flames......melody and atmoshperic? When I hear them all I hear is constant needless screaming and thrashing guitars with no rythym not even playing in sync with one another. That is music that if you gave some toddlers some guitars and they just started flailing them with no playing knowledge whatsoever, they would sound BETTER!

Iced Earth was one of the first metal bands I got into, and now I find them unbelievably boring. *sigh* Progression, I guess, but that means that one day I'll find the current crop of bands I'm digging just as boring. :(

symphonyXjapan said:
LOL!.....In Flames......melody and atmoshperic? When I hear them all I hear is constant needless screaming and thrashing guitars with no rythym not even playing in sync with one another. That is music that if you gave some toddlers some guitars and they just started flailing them with no playing knowledge whatsoever, they would sound BETTER!
Wow. I thought I had all of In Flames’ releases, but I have to admit that I have never heard the one that you seem to have heard. The songs on Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman, and Reroute to Remain are all melodic and coherent, with very controlled screaming and other vocal effects. Maybe there are a bunch of bonus tracks that I haven’t heard…Or maybe another band called In Flames…

In Flames isn't a band i listen to all that much. I did consider some parts of Colony pretty melodic when i first got it, but those parts were too few and far apart from each other and I'm not a fan of screaming vocals so i quickly stopped listening to it. Someone showed me Jester's Race recently and I kindof understood where he was coming from when he was saying it was melodic, but I just consider it inferior to bands like Symphony X that use melodies more effectively IMO. In Flames could be considered melodic for a death metal band, but if I wanna hear something melodic I'll usually go for something that just mesmerizes me like The Accolade :headbang:

Hyoukinmono said:
Wow. I thought I had all of In Flames’ releases, but I have to admit that I have never heard the one that you seem to have heard. The songs on Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, Clayman, and Reroute to Remain are all melodic and coherent, with very controlled screaming and other vocal effects. Maybe there are a bunch of bonus tracks that I haven’t heard…Or maybe another band called In Flames…

I totally agree. Especially their earlier stuff is just so awesome with guitar melodies. What symphonyxjapan described reminds me of Dimmu :loco:
Dimmu =OVERRATED and yes perhaps that is based on my opinion of them sucking. :D

haha, all the genre haters would hate what my friend called In Flames. He strung together something like "melodic swedish death metal" :guh: Whether you're a fan of the band or not, you've gotta find it ridiculous to hear crap like that. just call it metal or death metal if you wanna classify it but dont talk out of your ass or at least not for more than a second.

Pop seems like an assumed overrated genre, at least today's pop. The beatles i guess are argueably overrated based on a few posts earlier in the thread. People like Britney Spears, Nsync, and the Backstreet Boys :puke: are all just collections of ideal looking young people according to America's generation of masses and masses of kids and teenagers who listen to music because they think it's cool and makes them popular opposed to listening to what they like or appreciate. I wear my symx shirts to school about 2 days a week and no one ever asks me what symx is. they just assume i'm the "mysterious kid who listens to bizarre music." Music is about anything but just following the crowd so I don't even consider pop music anymore, and people like britney spears who can't even sing or write their own songs have raped pop of any pride it may have ever had. Today's pop just gives millions of nieve people the wrong idea of what music really is.

Odysseus said:
haha, all the genre haters would hate what my friend called In Flames. He strung together something like "melodic swedish death metal" :guh: Whether you're a fan of the band or not, you've gotta find it ridiculous to hear crap like that. just call it metal or death metal if you wanna classify it but dont talk out of your ass or at least not for more than a second.
How is he talking out of his ass because he called In Flames melodic death metal? they are certainly not pure death metal, so that's the best label you could put on them.

I'm not trying to pick on In Flames, I'm just saying I find it kindof annoying when people use like 4 words to describe what genre music a band is. "melodic swedish death metal" is just an example.

Odysseus said:
I'm not trying to pick on In Flames, I'm just saying I find it kindof annoying when people use like 4 words to describe what genre music a band is. "melodic swedish death metal" is just an example.
I'm not taking it that way, heh. I'm just letting you know that melodic death metal is a term that's commonly used to describe bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork and others. Pure death metal bands like (early) Death, Morbid Angel, Nile, Origin, Suffocation are very different.

The Metal Chick said:
I totally agree. Especially their earlier stuff is just so awesome with guitar melodies. What symphonyxjapan described reminds me of Dimmu :loco:
Dimmu =OVERRATED and yes perhaps that is based on my opinion of them sucking. :D

Dimmu is crap. And their stage appeal is hysterical, come on spiked gauntlets :lol:. We left the show when they got on stage after their 3rd song. And I am glad we did because it led to us meeting Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom and Van Williams of Nevermore. This was last night in St.Louis.

Bodom and Nevermore were simply awesome. Either one of those 2 bands should have headlined not Dimmu.

I'm just trying to keep myself from laughing...
Everyone's titled to have their own opinion of course.

Saying Metallica is overrated? :erk: Well, no... Who cares if you're just sick and tired of them, if you didn't like the whole Napster deal (they we're completely right to do as they did), if you think Load (and the latter) is crap, if you mean they sold out. If you don't want to sell your music, don't make music. They made metal what it is today, period! (Of course, I still think St.Anger sucks bigtime!)

Tool. Now that's a band no two persons could agree on what to think of. I know it's not prog, it isn't even metal. Still I think they're one of the most innovative bands today (the same doesn't count for aperfectcircle). Listening to Lateralus for the first time was one of my biggest revelations musically.

As for Beatles. Like 'em or not. I really don't care.