Most Overrated Band

Triumphant Apostle

Disciple Of The Watch
Dec 8, 2001
St.Paul, MN
Visit site
I personally DO NOT see what is so great about cradle of filth. I have tried to give them a chance on more than one occasion but that ridiculous high pitched scream he does is simply ANNOYING! I was at the Milwaukee Metalfest that they played and they were nothing special at all...I will give them the fact that the sound on the biggest stage is terrible but I just do not understand the appeal of that band. Who is the most overrated band in your opinion?

Well, I own all the COF releases. I enjoy very, very much their lyrics and their very unique music. It took me a while to get used to Dani Filth's vox, but it only adds to the uniqueness. NO other band sounds like COF, well, except Hecate Enthroned, but they have their differences (and besides, I think Hecate Enthroned was out first). Anyway, to answer the question, I think Emperor is overrated. As I said in another thread, I can't hear the vocals on Nightside or Anthems, those albums are overproduced, and I don't enjoy them at all.

well, since an earlier thread got me going, i'll say dimmu borgir. i think they are way overrated. i don't see why so many people like them with all the annoying vocals, goofy lyrics, and overdone keyboards.

Originally posted by Jannet
Well, I own all the COF releases. I enjoy very, very much their lyrics and their very unique music. It took me a while to get used to Dani Filth's vox, but it only adds to the uniqueness. NO other band sounds like COF, well, except Hecate Enthroned, but they have their differences (and besides, I think Hecate Enthroned was out first). Anyway, to answer the question, I think Emperor is overrated. As I said in another thread, I can't hear the vocals on Nightside or Anthems, those albums are overproduced, and I don't enjoy them at all.

OK.. you've said this twice, so you have forced me to argue.

Emperor deserve the attention they get, if not more. They are simply musical geniuses. Their music is complex, multilayed, and emotional. Earlier emperor was more atmospheric, and the production was designed to sound like that, especially on Nightside. Anthems, the production was slightly different, allowing you to here the more complex music. Then on Prometheus, the production is clear, and the music is complex, and is a pleasure to listen to. All their albums but Equibrium are works of art and pure genius.

The music followed a natural progression, and just got better, deeper, more complex.

And emperor's climax, Prometheus has gotten 100's of listens from me, and I still get goose bumps from Trym's fills and thingies, and Samoth and ihsahn inter\changing and conficting guitar melodies. And Ihsahn's voice has changed, which at first challenged me, but now I love his voice from all their albums.

They are the forfathers of a genre, and dared to break the rules, they dared to be different.

And where most bands failed, this band finished on a perfect note.

Please have a listen to Prometheus, and see if you can understand what I am talking about.

I'm not trying to argue, or prove you wrong, I just want to show you what you are missing. =)

I had a feeling you would say something :lol: Well, I have not heard any other albums but the two I mentioned, and it's not like I DIDN'T give them a chance (actually, many chances) - I still have the albums, and once in a while I pop one in to see if it will grow on me, but to no avail. Those two albums do not effect me emotionally at ALL. Prometheus will be my third Emperor album if I decide to take a listen, and I tell you this, if that album does nothing for me, then there is no hope.

By the way,

OK.. you've said this twice, so you have forced me to argue.
, and
I'm not trying to argue
That's pretty funny :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Jannet
I had a feeling you would say something :lol: Well, I have not heard any other albums but the two I mentioned, and it's not like I DIDN'T give them a chance (actually, many chances) - I still have the albums, and once in a while I pop one in to see if it will grow on me, but to no avail. Those two albums do not effect me emotionally at ALL. Prometheus will be my third Emperor album if I decide to take a listen, and I tell you this, if that album does nothing for me, then there is no hope.

By the way,

That's pretty funny :lol: :lol:

Very true.. and what's funny?

Anyway, I can understand people not liking the NOISE factor of emperor, which is absent in their latest release. But that is what i call atmosphere... =)

Nightside is like a storm, or a huge herd of galloping horses. Anthems is a war. And I think that's the way they were supposed to sound. Prometheus might be a tight minded insanity.

IX Equilibrium, I don't know, it doesn't seem to have a constant theme, it's just a collection of songs, some of their best, and some of their worst.

if this was a competition of who can contradict themselves the most, I WOULD WIN.. so NYA! )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (If you keep me laughing any longer, I will NEVER be able to wipe the toothy smile off my face) Damn...it...down, smile, I SAID DOWN!!!!:D :D Bah, no success :D

CoF-Bad AND overrated. Dimmu-good musicians, way over-rated and quite boring/annoying.
Bal-Sagoth-NEver met anyone who likes'em, but if I ever did, I'd punch him in the face.
Rhapsody-Whats the big deal? Glam rock with an Yngwie clone on guitars.
Therion-some really good stuff, but not the geniuses everyone makes'em out to be. Hollenthon basically bested Therion at their own game, and in only 2 albums.

Principle: Bleh
V Empire: Bleugh
Dusk: Mmmmm
Cruelty: BLEEEUUUUUUURRGGHHHHHH!!!! hack!
Enslave: BLOOOUUUUEEEEEUUUEUEERUURRRGHGHHHGH!!!! CACK!!!!
Midian: Meh
Bittersuites: MMBleh

That about sumarizes up Cradle of Filth...

Thank you and goodnight..

Also, jannet, if you wanna get rid of that smile.. listen to my band.

Principle: Bleh
V Empire: Bleugh
Dusk: Mmmmm
Cruelty: BLEEEUUUUUUURRGGHHHHHH!!!! hack!
Enslave: BLOOOUUUUEEEEEUUUEUEERUURRRGHGHHHGH!!!! CACK!!!!
Midian: Meh
Bittersuites: MMBleh

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Listen, if yer gonna diss COF, at least put a space between my beloved "Bitter Suites." Ya got all the others right, damn it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Crikey, I can't add the "s" to Bitter Suite in "Now Playing." No room, blast it!