Most Overrated Band

Most over-rated band, in my opinion, would have to be Nile. in a close two-way tie would also be Susperia and The Forsaken. The mags and web-zines just jumped all over those three bands for the past couple of years. Ugh!

And,(oh do I hate to admit this!) I am actually in full agreement with Kushantaiidan for once: Emperor rules. To say that Anthems and Nightside are overproduced? Huh??? You can't hear the vocals on those two albums because, technically, they are UNDERproduced. IX and Prometheus are the far more produced albums of the Emperor discography. But, speaking of Anthems, that is the album that gave way to the style of Black Metal,(if you wish to call it that) utilized by bands such as COF and Dimmu. Anthems was THE ground-breaking Black Metal album.

Eternity and Pentecost III were great albums from Anathema...

Metallica made 2 incredible albums, too...they are what got me into metal, and so many metal bands have been trying to emulate them for years.

But when it comes to over-rated, I would have to say that EVERYGODDAMMEDMOTHERFUCKINGCUNTSHITFUCKINGCOCKSUCKINGSHITFUCKING-THING ON MTV is over-rated.

Radiohead...every music critic in every magazing would eat Radiohead's feces and call it a mouthful of happiness.

Led Zeppelin...after Led Zeppelin 2, they stopped being original and groundbreaking and put out crappy, recycled albums.

I'm often perplexed at the common dislike for Cradle....

I personally find them enjoyable, atmospheric and at times quite amazing.

They're not my favourite band by any stretch of the imagination, but I still think they've produced consistantly good albums throughout their career.

Originally posted by morganm
Radiohead...every music critic in every magazing would eat Radiohead's feces and call it a mouthful of happiness.
THANK YOU! Finally, someone who feels the same as I do.

And Katatonia.

Actually, both of these bands produce an "atmosphere," which I can understand why some people like. But interesting music? I think not.

There are a couple
CoF
The first 2 Metallica's ( and before we start: Fuck you too...i know where this is going to )
Iron Maiden and Dickinson
Judas Priest
Black Sabbat and Ozzy
Venom
New Inflames ( the ones that hate it are minority )
System of a Down ( the guitar player is nu metal and almost makes all the rest of the band nu metal with his stupidity )
Slipknot ( who got the publicity brutal death metal should have with teens in america, brutal death at least has a lot of talent and can have complexity to it )
Megadeth from Crypting writings ( wich sounds like 80s Bon Jovi's stuff ) to date.

This are the most but there is way too many overrated bands out there.

Most over-rated band, in my opinion, would have to be Nile. in a close two-way tie would also be Susperia and The Forsaken. The mags and web-zines just jumped all over those three bands for the past couple of years. Ugh!

Nile ill let it pass by, while absolutely love them i have to admit is not for everyone and little or no people can appreciate or even hear the strong egiptian influence, But The Forsaken? Come on im shure you dont think highly of bands like In thy Dreams or Soilwork or Gardenian or any other modern swedish band, and ive seen far more magazines and people flame all the new swedish bands ( ive seen the swedish lost his edge thread everywhere recently ) but no one stops to think that there is little or nothing left of the original melodic death metal sound in them. I really do not see how soilwork is an inflames clone new inflames sounds like pop and old inflames sounds nothing like soilwork. They are influenced indeed but its not a clone of anything. Same goes for Gardenian everyone is so busy flaming 2 feet stand and soulburner as an inflames clones that dont even closely listen to Sindustries, sindustries is an album that is not even close to the inflames/dt/atg sound anymore and i think its pretty original, In thy dreams and The forsaken suffer the same "dude is just at the gates 2" comments from everyone, sometimes i wish at the gates would have never existed just to stop this stupid comments, everything fast with melodies is at the gates this days, and people flaming the forsaken with that argument specially piss me off i mean the band has his melodic death influence and his brutal/morbid angel death metla influence and make the most out of both in coherent songs without loosing anything in the process but they remain influences, to really compare the band to those 2 you have to tear the song appart and compare each riff to the band because when you look at the total at the gates never did something so aggresive and morbid angel has never done something so melodic.

@Lina: What is with the constant anti-katatonia propaganda? i will admit that all the comments from people like you almost stopped me from listening to katatonia, only to discover an asome sentimental band that knows how to make simple music. Making beautiful simplicity is an art to me and i think that there is a lot of what mikael does in his songs that katatonia also do, specially in tonights desicion and last fair deal..., how come you appreciate one and hate the other? shouldnt you join the "i just like Opeth but dont worship them" thread too?

Megadeth from Crypting writings ( wich sounds like 80s Bon Jovi's stuff ) to date.
OI!! What's wrong with 80's Bon Jovi??????! :lol: Actually i like some Bon Jovi, just like i like some late Megadeth, so your comparison is pretty fair! I remember when risk came out one of the first songs i heard i was like "wow thats so Bon Jovi!".

I actually like a lot of the bands mentioned in this thread, but i also agree that they are overated! I just don't care if im listening to something thats shit if it provides me with some entertainment or something.

I'd mainly disagree with Radiohead being overrated though!! They are one of the few bands who deserve some of the money they get. In the realms of commercially accepted music you dont get much better anyway.

There is nothing wrong in listeing and liking overrated bands as long as you know they are overrated and accept it in a healthy fashion like you do, ive been known to play trooper, fear of the dark, and painkiller on the guitar quite a lot, that does not means i respect judas or maiden.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
@Lina: What is with the constant anti-katatonia propaganda? i will admit that all the comments from people like you almost stopped me from listening to katatonia, only to discover an asome sentimental band that knows how to make simple music. Making beautiful simplicity is an art to me and i think that there is a lot of what mikael does in his songs that katatonia also do, specially in tonights desicion and last fair deal..., how come you appreciate one and hate the other? shouldnt you join the "i just like Opeth but dont worship them" thread too?
Well, the thread asked what I thought was an overrated band, so I gave my opinion.

You say they're a "sentimental band that knows how to make simple music." I agree with you on this -- which is why I said I can understand how people like them for the "atmosphere" they create. But the music itself is repetitive to the point of being mind-numbing for me.

And the number-one reason why they get on my nerves is the constant comparison with Opeth, as you're making. You don't understand how I can like Opeth and not Katatonia? Opeth songs consist of more than droning 8th notes.

Originally posted by requiem
I'm often perplexed at the common dislike for Cradle....

I personally find them enjoyable, atmospheric and at times quite amazing.

They're not my favourite band by any stretch of the imagination, but I still think they've produced consistantly good albums throughout their career.

Yeah I know. And I personally believe it's a subconscious (or conscious) dislike for the fact that COF signed up with Sony and are so-called "MAINSTREAM" now. Seriously though, I haven't heard anyone banging their car radio with "Her Ghost in the Fog." :lol:

There is nothing wrong in listeing and liking overrated bands as long as you know they are overrated and accept it in a healthy fashion like you do
So it's OK to like an overrated band as long as you KNOW they're overrated? That makes absolutely no sense, but whatever rocks your boat...

Nile ill let it pass by, while absolutely love them i have to admit is not for everyone and little or no people can appreciate or even hear the strong egiptian influence

I just had to mention that with this comment, it seems like overrating a band means when some people don't like or appreciate the band. I think we need to clarify what overrating is: To overestimate the merits of. So basically it's when the majority find a band who is getting too much attention undeserved of the attention because they seriously (and truly) SUCK (e.g., no talent, shitty lyrics, shitty music) And it's not YOUR opinion of what's shitty and talentless, it's when it REALLY is shitty and talentless. Now I have to say this, since I wrote this, I will take back my OPINION that Emperor is overrated. This is only based on my personal DISLIKE for the band, not on any valid fact that they truly suck and people are liking them anyway.

Your personal taste is a valid point to dislike them, but not a valid point to dimish them and call them overrated. And yes i compared to Opeth and i could compare them to i dunno DT or Flowing Tears or something cause of the emocional value. There are Katatonia songs with 2 riffs that express so much with so little that i consider them more complex than some Opeth songs, just because of the way the songs can acomplish so much with so subtle details in the sound and the performance of the song. Take Blues for example. It does not gets more simple than blues, either the music or the lyrics, however, the beauty of blues is how musically untrained people can make so deeply sentimental songs and the complexity of blues comes from the fact that your common Howlin Wolf does not knew crap about music, yet he incorporated so many elements of music like subtle tone variations ( you would be surprised of how a 1/32 of a whole note bending can make 2 exact same riffs played by different guys can make em totally different things ) that were just innate ability to express yourself through music. It is complex to see how you acomplish more sentimental value with a single note than classical composers ever did with a 20 minute symphony using all the rules in the world. Putting your heart and soul in your every sound is something extremely complex and difficult to achieve, something that katatonia Masters imho and that mikael in Opeth also does, those are the only similarities, and if you dont believe that sentiment and feeling is a valid part of a musical equation then you wont understand the similarity...never...

Your personal taste is a valid point to dislike them, but not a valid point to dimish them and call them overrated. And yes i compared to Opeth and i could compare them to i dunno DT or Flowing Tears or something cause of the emocional value. There are Katatonia songs with 2 riffs that express so much with so little that i consider them more complex than some Opeth songs, just because of the way the songs can acomplish so much with so subtle details in the sound and the performance of the song. Take Blues for example. It does not gets more simple than blues, either the music or the lyrics, however, the beauty of blues is how musically untrained people can make so deeply sentimental songs and the complexity of blues comes from the fact that your common Howlin Wolf does not knew crap about music, yet he incorporated so many elements of music like subtle tone variations ( you would be surprised of how a 1/32 of a whole note bending can make 2 exact same riffs played by different guys can make em totally different things ) that were just innate ability to express yourself through music. It is complex to see how you acomplish more sentimental value with a single note than classical composers ever did with a 20 minute symphony using all the rules in the world. Putting your heart and soul in your every sound is something extremely complex and difficult to achieve, something that katatonia Masters imho and that mikael in Opeth also does, those are the only similarities, and if you dont believe that sentiment and feeling is a valid part of a musical equation then you wont understand the similarity...never...

Agreed 100%. Scary.

I happen to think NIle is NOT overrated, and is deserving of almost all critical kudos. great band, great songs, great atmosphere, great technicality, breat all around.

BTW, I have to replace Emperor with somebody. I say, 'DOWN WITH DISTURBED!!!' DISTURBED TRULY SUCKS!!!!!! Their musical talent can be summed up with "wua-a-a-a-a" :zzz:

and if you dont believe that sentiment and feeling is a valid part of a musical equation then you wont understand the similarity...never...
I never said this at all. In fact, fuck, I clearly stated this in my original post because I knew people would get all bent out of shape.

I don't agree with this newly-adopted notion that being overrated means it has to suck in every possible way. I think that Katatonia's music is not complicated, intricate or interesting -- and yet, people say it is, when in fact they're just confusing the emotion it renders in them with being technically advanced music.

I didn't say people shouldn't like Katatonia -- I don't care what the hell you listen to. In fact, I didn't even say that they're illegitimate as a band or something, because I stated that they induce strong emotions in many listeners.

I just think they're overrated as musicians. You think they're great musicians, based on your notion that simple, yet beautiful, music is hard to create. And I just don't agree with that, and there's no point in arguing about that.

I think that Katatonia's music is not complicated, intricate or interesting -- and yet, people say it is, when in fact they're just confusing the emotion it renders in them with being technically advanced music

Just a thought...so music has to be technically advanced to not be overrated? I thought music was designed to convey a message, or produce an emotional response in a person (whether anger, sadness, happiness, relaxation, etc.). Seems like you believe that a band has to be complicated and technically advanced to be worthy of anything. Personally, I would hate to listen to technical, complicated music all the time. Give me some simple, emotion-producing music any day.