THE MOST WASTED POTENTIAL

MasKedRage

Metal Maniac
Jun 6, 2005
as in bands that could be much better than they are, they got great potential but waste it

i'd say, off the top of my head it would be Children of Bodom - the vocals are like a kid screaming, just horrible, and they gotta drop the orch hits, actually i wouldnt mind if they killed the keyboardist...but they really got what it takes to be a great band

secondly i'd say Bullet For My Valentine - a good band, they got the talent, they just have to, need to, drop the gay punk vocals

Coheed and Cambria - although they're a pink band, from 'Welcom Home' you can tell that if they add heavier distortion, lose the singer, get some death vocals, they could be a great metal band

and others?

Dream Theatre - the are very talented, but their music sucks
Slipknot - they are good musicians, and should play death metal instead of nu metal
Rhapsody - they know how to play, but should play at least heavier power metal instead of gay flower metal
Opeth - they should just play straight up metal, drop the acoustic passages, and drop the lyrics about relationships

If opeth dropped the acoustic passages playing straight forward metal they would suck and be like every other band(that would not be opeth). There are plenty of bands that play straight foward metal. If opeth did not have acoustic parts I would not listen to them.

When I hear an acoustic part or clean guitar part in the song... i'm like yes. Some bands are just not meant to only use distorted power chords. Opeth is about chord orientation regardless if acoustic or distorted.

I can't think of bands wasting potential.

i'd have to say tiamat post-1997

johan needs to seperate from his girlfriend/wife/whatever, move back to the grim north and become miserable again because this "living in germany and being jolly" shit sure ain't doing his music any good

Erik said:

johan needs to seperate from his girlfriend/wife/whatever, move back to the grim north and become miserable again because this "living in germany and being jolly" shit sure ain't doing his music any good

:lol:

The Greys said:
If opeth dropped the acoustic passages playing straight forward metal they would suck and be like every other band(that would not be opeth). There are plenty of bands that play straight foward metal. If opeth did not have acoustic parts I would not listen to them.

When I hear an acoustic part or clean guitar part in the song... i'm like yes. Some bands are just not meant to only use distorted power chords. Opeth is about chord orientation regardless if acoustic or distorted.

I can't think of bands wasting potential.
I guess you must have changed your mind then. I remember we were talking on AIM a couple years ago, and you said you skip over the acoustic passages.

I skipped over clean vocals at first. I'm a lot more open to things now. Mikaels vocals have greatly grown on me. I would say his cleans get better every album.

I don't see the point in playing straight forward metal in the 90's,20
s... it's over. If I want to hear a band just play distorted powercords i'll listen to an 80's band. Opeth doing what they have has made them very important. If the band did not have acoustic passages or clean vocals no one would like them. Opeth would just be another metal band fitting the mold. Opeth is non convential and that's why a lot of people like them. Metal is a dead genre. The worst thing opeth could do is be more 'metal'. I like bands like opeth when i'm so sick of regular metal.

The Greys said:
I skipped over clean vocals at first. I'm a lot more open to things now. Mikaels vocals have greatly grown on me. I would say his cleans get better every album.

I don't see the point in playing straight forward metal in the 90's,20
s... it's over. If I want to hear a band just play distorted powercords i'll listen to an 80's band. Opeth doing what they have has made them very important. If the band did not have acoustic passages or clean vocals no one would like them. Opeth would just be another metal band fitting the mold. Opeth is non convential and that's why a lot of people like them. Metal is a dead genre.
christ i don't think i've ever seen so much worthless misguided rhetoric in my life

you're not only way out in the fucking fields, you're in the wrong field with an albanian tractor

Opeth are easy to listen to, because of the acoustic passages, that is why people listen to them, not because they are "non-conventional."

i dont think opeth should drop their acoustic parts - however i do think they should use real distortion instead of that weird sound they use in parts

Erik said:

yeah..... and it would make sence if the new tiamat in 2006 sounded like the astral sleep & sumerian cry.

The Greys said:
yeah..... and it would make sence if the new tiamat in 2006 sounded like the astral sleep & sumerian cry.
how about if it was original, honest and profound music instead of cynical goth rock ripoff shit though :?

for the record "a deeper kind of slumber" is my favourite tiamat

Actually, Dream Theater are a perfect band to mention in here. They can not write a song without fucking it up by inserting a totally unneeded solo of some kind, also they are very weak in general with creating a good strong melody.

MasKedRage said:
as in bands that could be much better than they are, they got great potential but waste it

i'd say, off the top of my head it would be Children of Bodom - the vocals are like a kid screaming, just horrible, and they gotta drop the orch hits, actually i wouldnt mind if they killed the keyboardist...but they really got what it takes to be a great band

secondly i'd say Bullet For My Valentine - a good band, they got the talent, they just have to, need to, drop the gay punk vocals

Coheed and Cambria - although they're a pink band, from 'Welcom Home' you can tell that if they add heavier distortion, lose the singer, get some death vocals, they could be a great metal band

and others?

cob would still suck
bfmv see above
cac see above

MasKed GAYge said:

god forbid we leave one of the only truly innovative modern (non-metal) bands alone and not turn them into cookie cutter death metal plznthx