The Never Ending Now Playing Thread

WOODS OF YPRES - "Wet Leather" (Song #7 from W4: The GREEN Album)

i think it sounds pretty much like the previous album which i didn't like that much... i was hoping they would go back to their first release style :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Samael - Under One Flag. 'Above' is simply incredible.

¡Sí! I didn't like it at first because the change was so drastic/humongous, but the keyboards are there, even if not in the same way. For me 'tis a strong contender for album of the year, but Devin Townsend will probably win.

Epica: Design Your Universe

Despite what my fellow reviewer says, and despite the noticeable improvement, I still think Epica sucks a lot.

Really? They haven't released a good album in over a decade. Last one I bought was Into the Light, which made me feel like an abused partner coming back for more abuse because I kept buying their goddamn crappy albums. What makes the new one any good? I'm hesitant to buy another Samael album, but if it's really good... I've been waiting more than 10 years for a decent follow-up to Passage...

Nice review, it's more or less the same what I think of the album, with the only difference that I'm an old Gorgoroth fan, being Antichrist their best IMO so I fell in love with it instantly.

It really is a return to form, though. I think it's important to point out that this is just old school Gorgoroth, not a new page. ;) But yeah, solid record for sure.

Three // Revisions

Dråpsnatt // I Denna Skog

just discovered this band from Skellefteå, pretty underground (26 listeners on last.fm :rolleyes:), i think they're rather good.
Many of the new songs have a dystopic/armageddon/urban expression. This is mostly due to my fascination with how we, as a species, are slowly killing ourselves. One good example of this is "Orostider" (Times of unrest). We are pretty certain that is the first song about the Swineflu, A/H1N1, ever recorded. We have never been shy of using samples from television for enhancing our music, and in this song you can hear a swedish newscaster describing the reports of danish and swedish outbreaks of the flu. At this point in time we imagined that it would spell the downfall of humanity, and not the sneeze-party it eventually became, but you cannot be right all the time, can you?!
:D
Source

Really? They haven't released a good album in over a decade. Last one I bought was Into the Light, which made me feel like an abused partner coming back for more abuse because I kept buying their goddamn crappy albums. What makes the new one any good? I'm hesitant to buy another Samael album, but if it's really good... I've been waiting more than 10 years for a decent follow-up to Passage...

Check the song that I was hearing then. I'm not a Samael die-hard fan, but Above just blew me away.

Last edited by a moderator:
uh

wow

that's about as different from what they've released in the last decade as can be

that's basically the sound everyone thought they'd take after Ceremony of Opposites, although I need to hear it in non-youtube quality to make a better judgment. it's certainly promising

21amyox.jpg

Samael were never as awesome as they were during their 'industrial' period.:* Reign of Light alone is better than everything they've done before it.:/ I do like the new album as well, but I still hope they go back to what they were doing before it eventually. But I can understand why some people might not enjoy this stuff. Metalheads being metalheads I suppose.

NP: Evangeli - Favourable Winds Blow Us Far Towards an End

Such a shame that this band broke up.:/ Their live DVD/CD is probably one of the best things I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. It's incredible.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpK_ggrRAS0]First song from the DVD[/ame]

The new Samael IMO, sounded like one long, boring song. I also feel that "Eternal" was a good follow-up to "Passage", although not as great, it's really good. Too much time passed and I really lost interest in that type of music, although I spin their earlier records occasionally.

NP:
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious

Samael // Above // Polygames

Just got inspired by the recent posts, he he. I still have a huge problem with the production of this album, but the songs are growing on me none the less. (note: I enjoy both eras of Samael, what does that make me?) Anyway, seeing them in about a month from now, together with Paradise Lost. It'll be one kickass night, I'm sure! :kickass:

Samael // Above // Polygames

Just got inspired by the recent posts, he he. I still have a huge problem with the production of this album, but the songs are growing on me none the less. (note: I enjoy both eras of Samael, what does that make me?) Anyway, seeing them in about a month from now, together with Paradise Lost. It'll be one kickass night, I'm sure! :kickass:

At KB I assume? I'm thinking of going as well, but it's been an expensive autumn with Anathema, Candlemass and Amon Amarth so far. And I'm also going to see Istapp (and skip Deathstars at the same concert) next weekend so it's a money matter - as usual :p

The new Samael IMO, sounded like one long, boring song. I also feel that "Eternal" was a good follow-up to "Passage", although not as great, it's really good. Too much time passed and I really lost interest in that type of music, although I spin their earlier records occasionally.

NP:
Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious

It had a couple of good songs! The Cross is on my active playlist, in fact.

I also don't think it's fair to cut Samael fans into before / after. I LOVED Passage, that's my favorite Samael album, and I think a lot of people who wanted them to stay a cookie cutter, albeit interesting, black metal band keep Ceremony of Opposites as the cutoff point. I don't know if I find their releases after, say, Eternal, very well produced or interesting. It's like Vorph went clubbing one night and decided he'd spend the next 8-10 years trying to merge a rave and a mosh pit.

NP - Vintersorg, Epilogue Metalogue

Even though I'm not a Samel fan, I'm becoming one lately, and I like all eras (but not really the 1st records to be honest…).

Anyhow:

Dark Tranquillity: Lost to Apathy (Where Death Is Most Alive live album).

From the excellent new live album, finally what DT deserves: Perfection!

The Red Chord // Fed Through the Teeth Machine —*American metalcore/deathcore. I dunno, these guys have moments, but it's not as good as that Samael track I just listened to. When did those guy start doing something worth listening to again??

Gorgoroth - Satan Prometheus. My fav track from Quantos...it has everything that I was waiting from the album. I don't like too much the sound of Tomas' toms but everything else sounds really good.