The New album is called Watershed : Out June 2nd

Is anyone else kind of pissed off by the fact that only one of the songs is more than 10 minutes long??

Also, a 3 minute song to open? Hmmm...

Ah well, sounds like it will rule anyway

The time had come to stop putting a long, heavy song at the start of every album (excepting My Arms Your Hearse, which fails to really qualify as the first song, being an instrumental, and Damnation, which can hardly be compared to the other albums). Opeth's open attitute toward change makes them a great band. I trust Mike's judgment as to what order of songs makes for the best overall listening experience.

article in a dutch metal magazine about the listening session, I'll briefly summarize here for you guys:

1. Coil: working title was "Zeppelin", revolving around an acoustic lead and is a very calm song that reminds vaguely of the folky side of Led Zeppelin. (it also states of course that it is quite daring to open a metal album with a song like this, in a positive sense).

2. Heir Apparent: growls and heavy guitar playing, almost 9 minutes that goes all sorts of directions with a lot of remarkable jazz-fusion twists.

3. The Lotus Eater: working title "Metal Something", even more jazz-fusion stuff. heavy opening, fusion interlude with a frizzle solo by Per. reference to jazzlegend Chic Corea as influence.
(here he talks shortly with Mikael about it, they talk about jazz influence which is strong on the album)

4. Burden: working title "Deep Floyd", Mikael describes it as when Jon Lord of Deep Purple would have been a member of Pink Floyd. a ballad with a guitar solo by Mikael in which he gives himself completely (so he says).

5. Porcelain Heart: folk elements (reminding of Jethro Tull) with complex parts reminding of Tool and heavy guitar work in the vein of Black Sabbath.

6. Hessian Peel: 11 minutes (longest song), lots of influences and styles jammed into it. starts relatively calm with epic pieces and touches of fusion, but culminates in one of the heaviest parts of the album.

7. Hex Omega: eastern influences especially in the melody.

Furthermore some talk about this album being a turning point (a Watershed) and a transition album after which all doors will be open for Opeth to go far beyond everything they have ever done.
Overall impression of the journalist: very very positive, but the statements by Mikael that it would be insanely complex and cause lots of confusion is somewhat exagerated.

I dont doubt that mike might have exaggerated a little, but really all he said was that it was difficult for him to play some of the stuff; that his hands and head hurt from playing it. I don't think people were gonna be confused by anything, probably just mindfuck time sig stuff like tool.

article in a dutch metal magazine about the listening session, I'll briefly summarize here for you guys:

1. Coil: working title was "Zeppelin", revolving around an acoustic lead and is a very calm song that reminds vaguely of the folky side of Led Zeppelin. (it also states of course that it is quite daring to open a metal album with a song like this, in a positive sense).

2. Heir Apparent: growls and heavy guitar playing, almost 9 minutes that goes all sorts of directions with a lot of remarkable jazz-fusion twists.

3. The Lotus Eater: working title "Metal Something", even more jazz-fusion stuff. heavy opening, fusion interlude with a frizzle solo by Per. reference to jazzlegend Chic Corea as influence.
(here he talks shortly with Mikael about it, they talk about jazz influence which is strong on the album)

4. Burden: working title "Deep Floyd", Mikael describes it as when Jon Lord of Deep Purple would have been a member of Pink Floyd. a ballad with a guitar solo by Mikael in which he gives himself completely (so he says).

5. Porcelain Heart: folk elements (reminding of Jethro Tull) with complex parts reminding of Tool and heavy guitar work in the vein of Black Sabbath.

6. Hessian Peel: 11 minutes (longest song), lots of influences and styles jammed into it. starts relatively calm with epic pieces and touches of fusion, but culminates in one of the heaviest parts of the album.

7. Hex Omega: eastern influences especially in the melody.

Furthermore some talk about this album being a turning point (a Watershed) and a transition album after which all doors will be open for Opeth to go far beyond everything they have ever done.
Overall impression of the journalist: very very positive, but the statements by Mikael that it would be insanely complex and cause lots of confusion is somewhat exagerated.

could you give the link for that interview please? thanks ;)

it was in Aardschok magazine ... there is no link for it (I would have given that if there was one obviously ... instead of spending 15 minutes typing this), you can only read it in the magazine which you have to buy from the store :p
but it is in Dutch, so I translated this shit for you guys :p the rest that's in the interview is nothing spectacular, just basic stuff about being open minded about music and about how well the recording session went.

no 10 minute songs this isn't the opeth i know, sounds a little nu metal if you ask me

um, there's an 11 minute song. plus the album is 55 minutes long, not opeth's longest but a good sized album which only contains 7 songs.:)

be happy it isnt a friggin 14 track song with every song being 3 minutes long like In Flames.

I dont doubt that mike might have exaggerated a little, but really all he said was that it was difficult for him to play some of the stuff; that his hands and head hurt from playing it. I don't think people were gonna be confused by anything, probably just mindfuck time sig stuff like tool.

agreed, im actually happy that he exaggerated a bit. i was worried that there would be 30 songs within one song.

from what i have read about the album these past few weeks it seems like this will be truly remarkable, yet i feel that many on this forum will be pissy about the lack of "METAL" on this album. just my thoughts...