The New album is called Watershed : Out June 2nd

why should opeth be "nu-metal"?just because we don't have 183473minutes songs? if that0s what people are looking for, go and listen to dream theater.

anyway, damnation is an astonishing piece of art and no one got pissed because it was "not metal". i would be fine with some kind of "Blackwater Park II" :p naah, kidding.
from opeth i always expect nothing but the best, the music in it's pure state. let's wait! all the reviews i've been reading seem pretty interesting and make me drool for the album. plus, opeth are coming to Portugal ^^

Unfortunately some people did get pissed because Damnation wasn't metal... but anyway.

Some of the posts here are ridiculous. Like, frighteningly ridiculous. People angry about 'lack of metal' on an album they haven't even heard?!?!? Complaining about track lengths???

no 10 minute songs this isn't the opeth i know, sounds a little nu metal if you ask me

Please tell me you're joking...

Why do you want long songs anyway? It certainly doesn't make a song any better if it's drawn out slightly longer for lengths sake.

no 10 minute songs this isn't the opeth i know, sounds a little nu metal if you ask me

You sound like a moron to me.
Who cares how long the songs are, you haven't even heard the album, how can you assume short songs=nu-metal?
I guess you're stuck about 12 years in the past, because Opeth hasn't done an entire album of songs that clocked in at 10 minutes long or higher since Morningrise..

article in a dutch metal magazine about the listening session, I'll briefly summarize here for you guys:

1. Coil: working title was "Zeppelin", revolving around an acoustic lead and is a very calm song that reminds vaguely of the folky side of Led Zeppelin. (it also states of course that it is quite daring to open a metal album with a song like this, in a positive sense).

2. Heir Apparent: growls and heavy guitar playing, almost 9 minutes that goes all sorts of directions with a lot of remarkable jazz-fusion twists.

3. The Lotus Eater: working title "Metal Something", even more jazz-fusion stuff. heavy opening, fusion interlude with a frizzle solo by Per. reference to jazzlegend Chic Corea as influence.
(here he talks shortly with Mikael about it, they talk about jazz influence which is strong on the album)

4. Burden: working title "Deep Floyd", Mikael describes it as when Jon Lord of Deep Purple would have been a member of Pink Floyd. a ballad with a guitar solo by Mikael in which he gives himself completely (so he says).

5. Porcelain Heart: folk elements (reminding of Jethro Tull) with complex parts reminding of Tool and heavy guitar work in the vein of Black Sabbath.

6. Hessian Peel: 11 minutes (longest song), lots of influences and styles jammed into it. starts relatively calm with epic pieces and touches of fusion, but culminates in one of the heaviest parts of the album.

7. Hex Omega: eastern influences especially in the melody.

Furthermore some talk about this album being a turning point (a Watershed) and a transition album after which all doors will be open for Opeth to go far beyond everything they have ever done.
Overall impression of the journalist: very very positive, but the statements by Mikael that it would be insanely complex and cause lots of confusion is somewhat exagerated.

now I can't wait even more than I could wait before :fanboy:

why should opeth be "nu-metal"?just because we don't have 183473minutes songs? if that0s what people are looking for, go and listen to dream theater.

anyway, damnation is an astonishing piece of art and no one got pissed because it was "not metal". i would be fine with some kind of "Blackwater Park II" :p naah, kidding.
from opeth i always expect nothing but the best, the music in it's pure state. let's wait! all the reviews i've been reading seem pretty interesting and make me drool for the album. plus, opeth are coming to Portugal ^^
See you there!^^

Reading that article just made me feel even more ancious about this album. I WANT IT NOW! :):):) :headbang:

Although I don't want Mike to repeat himself, it would fucking crush if he ever did something like the part in Serenity Painted Death (you should know which part I'm thinking of!), that has to be the most brutal moment in Opeth history I believe :kickass:
Oh yes, this part is so groovy and cruel it always sends shivers down my spine.

You sound like a moron to me.
Who cares how long the songs are, you haven't even heard the album, how can you assume short songs=nu-metal?
I guess you're stuck about 12 years in the past, because Opeth hasn't done an entire album of songs that clocked in at 10 minutes long or higher since Morningrise..

lmao I love it when people don't understand obvious irony

yeah these songs are far to short, they are going to be on the charts with kayne west now.

i want an album full of long songs like mayh

morons.