The New album is called Watershed : Out June 2nd

Awesome news...the album title is definitely gonna have to be a grower for me tbh...song titles are cool, I don't see an apparent theme, but it's not like you can assume a theme for Still Life from the song titles alone.

^^ok.... but the term I would use would be "curiosity" rather than "concern" which to me implies uncertainty or some sort of apprehension, and I have neither. I am very interested and curious about what effect the new members will have on the sound and what the new set of skills will bring.... but I'm not the least bit worried that somehow the "vibe" will somehow be bastardized.

you may not be concerned. but i have to say that i am a little bit. im sorry if you dont agree, but i have a right to my opinions, do i not? as for me saying that Fred is the n00b of the band...well...cmon...he is... he is the newest member of the band. Hence, the n00b. If people say things that you don't agree with on this forum, you really think you should tell them they're wrong?

I personally think that cowriting a song with Per is an excellent idea. Having listened to the Roundhouse tapes and seeing them live several times, its hard to believe what a profound difference that Per's subtle keyboard effects make.

Add to this the fact that the keyboards are written in a more proactive type of way (as apposed to, say, bass, which in most cases is a secondary instrument in the mixing). He's also got a pretty nice voice, so I wonder if he might have done some backing vox.

Let's say Opeth is Microsoft and they're looking for a new vice president. Do you think they would hire somebody who doesn't know what "breakeven" is? Because seriously, that is what you paranoid people all seem to think.

I personally think that cowriting a song with Per is an excellent idea. Having listened to the Roundhouse tapes and seeing them live several times, its hard to believe what a profound difference that Per's subtle keyboard effects make.

Add to this the fact that the keyboards are written in a more proactive type of way (as apposed to, say, bass, which in most cases is a secondary instrument in the mixing). He's also got a pretty nice voice, so I wonder if he might have done some backing vox.

+1

you may not be concerned. but i have to say that i am a little bit. im sorry if you dont agree, but i have a right to my opinions, do i not? as for me saying that Fred is the n00b of the band...well...cmon...he is... he is the newest member of the band. Hence, the n00b. If people say things that you don't agree with on this forum, you really think you should tell them they're wrong?

You have no need to apologize, and where did I say you don't have a right to your opinion? That's just what this forum is for. Regardless, I have evey right to challenge your opinion.

Re-read your post. Your reference to Fredrik being the noob in the band was in the context of Per being in the band for a while and he knew what the vibe of the band was... and logic dictates then that by extension Fred doesn't/didn't know the vibe of the band and his writing contribution would somehow fuck up the vibe of the band ....... and I completly disagree with this thought process. He's obviously the newest member of the band... but he was more in tune with the vibe of Opeth even before he joined than he ever was with Arch Enemy even when he was IN Arch Enemy.... imo.

:saint:

Perhaps 'Derelic Herds', co-written by Åkerfeldt and Per, is the song that's apparently going to be the menu music that was written for the Roundhouse DVD?

Interesting. Never thought of that!
I'm still hoping that they'll part of some future "special edition" of Watershed.

Good point.
Unless there were some plans for those songs in the near future, why would he announce it soon soon?

Like how long was it between GR and news of the Soldier of Fortune cover?

a opinion from Jonas from mike`s space
"It sounds like Repulsion's "Horrified" album with violins and the sound of a small river/ditch.

Rawk!"

mikael has never really given any band-mate creative freedom before (at least in the writing process)

Is that something you know for a fact? Or just a conclusion from the amount of the songs Mikael has written until now? Couldn't it be that nearly everything is written by Mikael because noone else came with anything? I think I remember Mikael saying something in the Ghost Reveries DVD, about that he would be glad if the other members brought some material to the band, he just didn't think they would. And I think it would be a little wierd if Mikael suddenly changed his attitude about creative freedom in the band after Ghost Reveries and let the two newest members write some of the music. Perhaps the two new members were just more creative than the previous ones. And by the way what about the impact Steven Wilson had on the 3 albums he appeared on? So my impression is that Mikael has always been open to any ideas, but the other members rarely came with anything.

Peter co-wrote with Mike on the first three albums.

not only is that a load of bullshit, but even if it were somehow right, there would still be 5 albums written by mike only... is this not a phase?

If that is bullshit then what is this? quote Mikael: "He (Peter) and I wrote music together in the early days and we stopped doing that about 10 years ago. Since then, he might have felt a bit left out, and his importance in the band kind of faded."