The Official Doom Thread

it may be just me, but Fall of the Idols is kinda boring. it just sounds like one long mournful dirge that goes nowhere. i struggled to get through The Seance last night. the first one is much better. they remind me of Isole, who i also did not like. if you add death metal vocals, you have a doom/death album. mirror of deception are much better at this style.

man, the apostle of solitude album is good, but damn it's long. and can bands please cover something else than electric funeral? be unique.

spirit caravan rocks.

When it comes to FotI and AoS, the eps are the way to go. Sincerest Misery is a chore to get through. I've watched Twilight Zone marathons that have gone by quicker. Both bands would come off better in a live setting with a beer in hand.

I think The Seance is way better than the first one, it's more a dense and subtle approach to doom metal; I also find it like an uplifting melancholic album, which is filled with loads and loads of atmosphere. It's like black metal to me where it's a wall of sounds that flawlessly moves through each idea and melodic, making the songs very circular, yet maintaining a constant atmosphere.

Yes, the new AoS is too long.

Spirit Caravan smokes.

I also agree the new FoTI is better than the first, though I really liked the first one. I have not listened to it enough though.

I just got the new Lord Vicar and Unorthodox in the mail. Will report my findings in the coming days. I've been cranking Asylum, Balance of Power (especially) and The Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe an awful lot lately, so this really needs to live up to the legacy or I'll cry.

Awaken fucking rules so far, on track 2. So far it sounds like a very safe bet for anyone who liked Balance of Power.

Over now. So fucking good. If you like Unorthodox and are not a faggot you need this album.

Dawn of Winter?

VERY bad vocalist, generic trad-doom, nothing to go out of your way to hear

disclaimer: i've only heard one release and it was from 1993 so they might have become better since

cheers. ordered Park of Reason.

yeah, Earthride sucked.

Leather Nun is absolutely brilliant. All three releases are heavy as krigloch.