The Official Doom Thread

swizzle, doomy, dodens,

what are your thoughts on valkyrie, terra firma, the lord vicar album, and post- be forewarned pentagram?

oh and swizzle, i ordered the two wandering midget albums. looking forward to em

Valkyrie - fucking AWESOME...tremendous twin guitar harmonies. They shine even moreso live.

Terra Firma - also awesome...especially Harm's Way

Post-Be Forewarned Pentagram --> not worthy imho...stick to the early shit or you'll be disappointed.

dodens,

what are your thoughts on valkyrie, terra firma, the lord vicar album, and post- be forewarned pentagram?

Valkyrie: Excellent band. I'm much more familiar with their new album than their first album, but it's reach just great. I reviewed it here (assuming you have signatures off).

Terra Firma: I only have the first album, and I never listen to it...I thought it was okay, but nothing great. I remember Doomcifer uploading a couple tracks from the second album which sounded better to me, but it's not quite my style.

Post-Be Forewarned Pentagram: Approach with caution, though I find it rewarding. Review Your Choices is definitely the best. I really haven't listened to Show 'Em How enough to give a better judgment, but I didn't think it was bad. Sub-Basement has very solid material, but suffers most out of the newer albums from Liebling's battered voice. I'd sample some mp3s from these albums before going for them.

Oh, I didn't see him mention Lord Vicar...yeah, that album is also great. It basically sounds like a continuation of Reverend Bizarre with a greater emphasis on the uptempo parts characteristic of Peter's songwriting, but with Chritus on vocals instead. I'll eventually have a review for that up as well.

lord vicar is on order fom brainticket. damn that mailorder is slow.

so what are some more bands i need to hear? all souls day, i know. and valkyrie.

Have you given pale divine a listen? I have heard really great things about the band Griftegard, but I haven't been able to find their cd, I think its been OOP/rare as fuck since it was released

i liked it. very RB-ish, especially the vocals. in some places it reminded me of The Wizard's more garage doom feel. not premier league, but very enjoyable

Ogre's Myspace said:
OGRE 10th anniversary news

OGRE is pleased to announce that Iron Kodex Records (Germany) will be releasing all three OGRE albums on vinyl in 2009. OGRE debut Dawn of the Proto-Man and follow-up Seven Hells both will be 2-LP gatefold releases, with an album side's worth of bonus tracks on each. The vinyl version of 2008's Plague of the Planet (recently reissued on CD by Shadow Kingdom Records) will feature expanded deluxe artwork by drummer Will Broadbent. In addition, Iron Kodex will release a limited edition "die hard" box set, containing all three albums and additional goodies. Release for all three records and the box set is slated for late summer 2009.

2009 also marks the tenth anniversary of OGRE. To celebrate this milestone, the band will be planning a slew of events, including a special anniversary show in its hometown of Portland, an appearance at the Born Too Late festival in August, and a week-long tour with Baltimore doom legends Revelation also in August. Dates will be posted on here soon, so keep checking back.

Born Too Late Myspace said:
Born Too Late II 2009 Doom Metal Festival - featuring(not all confirmed)... Pale Divine, Revelation/Against Nature, Argus(confirmed), Valkyrie(confirmed), Ogre, Apostle of Solitude(confirmed), Memory Driven(TBA), Chowder, Orodruin, Blizaro, plus more....

A recent post on another forum states While Heaven Wept and Iron Man as well.

I don't know about that, I think Seven Hells is fucking awesome, but Plague is definitely their best.

J. have you heard Blood Farmers? Probably one of my favourite doom bands, but for some reason they aren't mentioned all that often. Vitus influenced doom with a touch of horror!