THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awake is what really got me into DT. I am not saying I don't like it but I&W is one of my least favorites. To me it really has never had the replay value of their other works like awake, scenes,6deg and even falling into infinity.

Hey guys, anyone listen to the systematic chaos teaser on the MP myspace?
It totally sound like TOT and Scenes, and i truly hope it does sound like them.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on that piece too.

Awake is what really got me into DT.

Likewise. Awake is not only my favorite Dream Theater album, but one of my favorite albums from any artist. It seems to have the most even contributions from all the members. LaBrie and Myung both put in arguably their best performances of any album (the bass intros to Lifting Shadows off a Dream and Scarred are cooler than Myung's shred solos on Metropolis and Dance of Eternity).

Actually just on that, I reckon Awake is a way underrated album, I've just been rediscovering it lately, it's got so much awesome stuff on it!!! :headbang:

Awake is THE album that changed my life. I was familiar with "Pull Me Under" prior to that, but Awake was the first actual DT listening experience I had, and is the sole reason I even got into prog. It would be my first choice for my "stranded on a deserted island" albums. Hands down, one of the best releases of that year, and decade! :headbang:

The one and only thing "Awake" is lacking (just a little) is structure. I've always found it rather awkward that most of the heavyweight tracks, i.e. "A Mind Beside Itself" and "The Mirror/Lie", follow each other instead of being a little more spread out. All the same, it's still a great album with all-time-high performances by LaBrie, Myung AND Moore.

Images & Words got me into Dream Theater, and I saw them on that tour at a warehouse bar in Lubbock, TX. I had a huge test in Semiconductors the next day, but didn't care at all. That album and that show were all I needed to be hooked. Awake was a spectacular follow-up.

But then Kevin Moore left...

I&W was the album that got me into DT and into prog aswell.
A close relative of mine gave me the cd because he didn't like it.. :heh:
well, his loss..
Maybe for that reason the album has a special place in my heart..

I played the album to my friend which later became a DT freak of some sort and lend me his Awake and A Change of Seasons albums. From then on I have bought every DT album and probably will continue to do so.

Obviously I can't wait for the new album to come out.. :)

As for the Awake cd, it got scratched a bit (probably because I lend it to some of my friends who weren't so careful, can't remember..) and I have to buy another copy :cry:

Awake is only underrated cause everyone faps to I&W, which is far inferior to the greatness of Awake.

Also, When Dream And Day Unite kicks ass.

Speak for yourself. Nothing is as fappable as Zamfir Panflute's Paganini Caprices ( :lol:), but I'd say I like I&W & Awake about the same, and the debut is killer too.

J-Dubya

I agree with J-Dubya 777, I&W & Awake are about the same: extremely awesome! :headbang:

I don't even have WDADU. I'm gonna go buy it tomorrow, if I can find it.
Maybe more like, today, 'cause it's after midnight.

Anybody who doesn't like James LaBrie's voice, should listen to the whole of Ayreon- The Human Equation...

His singing throughout that album is amazing, very warm and emotional...

If his vocals on the new DT album can be anywhere near back to the standard and focus of Images And Words and Awake, I'll be very pleased. :D

I agree with you about the vocals on the Human Equation... In fact he makes all his singers sound better then their proper bands releases....

I disagree about Labrie's singing on Awake and I & W since i find them to be some of his worst....

I also really love A Change Of Seasons, it has so much emotion, that song along with Scenes are my favourites, and I like Awake and I & W equally... WDADU is great, just the mix makes it harder to listen to...

And yes I have listened to the jumble of riffs that MP calls 'teaser', and they sound great, however I also shall reserve judgement for when the album is actually released.

Anybody have Comedy? I'm wondering if it's a bootleg or an actual DT release. It's not listed on DT's website; so, I figure it's a boot. I bought it at a music store in Lubbock before Awake came out. Pretty freakin' cool. It has a Kevin Moore-era Change of Seasons.

James Labrie's voice has evolved into a much more mature sounding voice. Sure, he does not hit the insanely high notes on the albums, but he still understands their appeal in the live setting and effectively picks and chooses his spots to really "go for it."

Really, the evolution of James started from his Mullmuzzler projects, and has continued ever since. He really "found" a much more realistic voice that he can deliver night in, night out. If you follow his work on Frameshift, Madmen and Sinners, Leonardo - The Absolute Man, or his work on the new Henning Pauly album Baby Steps, its quite clear. He knows trying to replicate the voice of I&W and Awake is not only unrealistic but not as widely marketable as his current voice. He is not getting any younger folks, and its a real pleasure to hear someone age with a bit of grace and dignity, rather than trying to prolong the inevitable for years and years. New DT will SMOKE!!! And James will smoke too!!!

Awake is much more mature-sounding to me than Images & Words ever was. The latter, while undeniably a great record, had somewhat of a cheesy, 80's feel to it. Awake was darker, tighter, more synchronized, better structured... in general, it felt less cluttered overall. The band sounded more like a group, and less like four guys randomly playing random things. It was also a turning point in the band's history from an instrumental standpoint, as it was the first record that Myung used a six string on (thus allowing Petrucci to use a seven string). This allowed for heavier, deeper grooves throughout, and put the bass in a more traditional role (as opposed to the lead bass style of WDADU).

James Labrie's voice has evolved into a much more mature sounding voice. Sure, he does not hit the insanely high notes on the albums, but he still understands their appeal in the live setting and effectively picks and chooses his spots to really "go for it."

Really, the evolution of James started from his Mullmuzzler projects, and has continued ever since. He really "found" a much more realistic voice that he can deliver night in, night out. If you follow his work on Frameshift, Madmen and Sinners, Leonardo - The Absolute Man, or his work on the new Henning Pauly album Baby Steps, its quite clear. He knows trying to replicate the voice of I&W and Awake is not only unrealistic but not as widely marketable as his current voice. He is not getting any younger folks, and its a real pleasure to hear someone age with a bit of grace and dignity, rather than trying to prolong the inevitable for years and years. New DT will SMOKE!!! And James will smoke too!!!
What about his work with Winter Rose? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.