THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
call it what you want....nobody can truely understand the "musical meaning" of any piece of music other than the one/ones who created it. What you deem unneccesary they may deem necessary.
The one rule of music i teach all my students is that if it sounds good to you then it is good...and nobody can tell you differently.

Its all opinion...no amount of debate or verbal "wankery" will change this.

Exactly...it's all based on personal preferences of the writers, players, & listeners. To say that some segment of a piece of music is not important and a waste of time is assinine. Obviously a piece of music that contaiins a million notes that need to be played in a short timeframe is very important to the individual that wrote it or plays it. It's what they "hear" or "feel" and they let it out. And of course, it's important to the listener who hears it & enjoys it...they made a connection with it. Just as l said before, Mozart had difficulties having his music accepted...the claims were he was placing too many notes in what he wrote & it didn't meet the generic structures of most music being wrote at that time. He was obviously technically proficient...he played the music he wrote. And we all know how that worked out...he's regarded as a musical genius. Someone else mentioned Paganini...talk about a virtuoso that played blindingly fast? Why? Because he could. Kenneth take note here...those are some examples of proof that technical prowess & proficiency (in some cases extreme) and the use or "wanking", as you've put it, are necessary in music. You decided to gloss over those because you have no avenue to argue the point. Your diatribe offered none of this. All we got from you was analogies to a hammer. :rolleyes: So...it's quite clear you don't have a clue and would rather still spout off...again...a personal preference laced with cute word pictures relating to a blunt instrument an idiot could use. Your intellectual base is so compacted...a laxative couldn't help you out. With that being said l'm sure you know where that leaves you.

Anyway...when it's all said & done all the musicians in DT are extremely technically proficient, they write MUSIC to showcase their talents much to the delight of their fans, and are on top of the prog metal genre for it. That's all the proof anyone should need to realize that what they do works and is legitimate. Case closed...l'm glad l could clarify the issue. That was so easy.

Ah, more opinions...

But, I like Dream Theater. Always have, always will, and I look forward to the next round of "wankery" that each new album brings. I prefer virtuosity in music, and if "wankery" shows said virtuosity then I'm all over it. Well, as long as it sounds good to my ear.

Chalk up another win for Tali on this argument. Well said, chap. Got some Cooper's?

I just got back from Utah. Can you imagine they have beer laws limiting to 3.2% ABV? Have you tasted 3.2 beer? Oh, shit, that is criminal!

Anyway...when it's all said & done all the musicians in DT are extremely technically proficient, they write MUSIC to showcase their talents much to the delight of their fans, and are on top of the prog metal genre for it. That's all the proof anyone should need to realize that what they do works and is legitimate. Case closed...l'm glad l could clarify the issue. That was so easy.
I'm glad you clarified your opinion. Oh wait, you did that 3 pages ago.

Try again y'all naysayers...

Saw Petrucci last night at G3.

He played amazingly, but he was really boring compared to Gilbert and the Satch.

US tour news:

The US Summer tour dates are begining to shape up....
DT's Special Guests for the entire US Summer tour will be Redemption and Into Eternity.

The following dates have been confirmed so far:

Fri July 27th - Gibson Amphitheater - Los Angeles, CA
Mon July 30th - E Center - Salt Lake City, UT
Tues July 31st - Paramount Theater - Denver, CO
Tues Aug 7th - Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI
Thurs Aug 9th - State Theater - Minneapolis, MN
Fri Aug 10th - Rosemont Theater - Chicago, IL
Sat Aug 11th - Tower City Amphitheater - Cleveland, OH
Tues Aug 21st - Bank Of America Pavillion - Boston, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.