THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you seriously not like SFAM? Fucking great album! Especially the 5th and 6th tracks.

Damn straight! I bought it last Monday, about #^%@!^# time!

But I don't remember Tubbs Mcgee saying he doesn't like it. If he indeed doesn't, I'll go position myself beside a road, facing the other direction. Then I'll wait for a car to pass right behind me, because apparently that's where Tubbs Mcgee is. :loco:

Saw Petrucci last night at G3.

He played amazingly, but he was really boring compared to Gilbert and the Satch.

When I saw them, I found Vai to be the most interesting, and Petrucci, but after those two, Satriani was just really boring...

US tour news:

The US Summer tour dates are begining to shape up....
DT's Special Guests for the entire US Summer tour will be Redemption and Into Eternity.

The following dates have been confirmed so far:

Fri July 27th - Gibson Amphitheater - Los Angeles, CA
Mon July 30th - E Center - Salt Lake City, UT
Tues July 31st - Paramount Theater - Denver, CO
Tues Aug 7th - Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI
Thurs Aug 9th - State Theater - Minneapolis, MN
Fri Aug 10th - Rosemont Theater - Chicago, IL
Sat Aug 11th - Tower City Amphitheater - Cleveland, OH
Tues Aug 21st - Bank Of America Pavillion - Boston, MA

Wow something actually constructive and relevant in this thread, well done Meedley... :cool:

How can you seriously not like SFAM? Fucking great album! Especially the 5th and 6th tracks.
I was listening to them this morning, every time they are just more awesome, plus I love tracks 2 and 9 (the instrumentals) and JP's solo on The Spirit Carries On... :worship:

Kenneth...read this again...slowly

call it what you want....nobody can truely understand the "musical meaning" of any piece of music other than the one/ones who created it. What you deem unneccesary they may deem necessary.

unless you are the artist who created the music you have no claim to understand the motivation (ego or emotion or whatever) behind what they have created....all you can do is try and understand your own reaction to that what you hear and form an opinion.

Here is the problem Kenneth

the use of excessive soloing and showoffery is extraneous to the creation of music.....

Your argument is based on your understanding of what you think music is...or what you'd like it to be (like a "castle of meaning" :rolleyes:)

Get it yet?
Everyone else seems to....

Tali makes some pretty valid/interesting points. To some people, music could be the recording of the sound of a car crashing, looped overtop the sound of a baby crying, lol... this may be very sadistic people, but that's not the point!

Yeah its like comparing dragonforce to pain of salvation. Dragonforce are about having fun and drinking booze, and PoS are deep and meaningful.

PoS???!!!!
Wait, here it comes......:OMG:

:puke: :puke: :puke:

Which illustrates Tali's points exactly.....

Deep, yes. Musically annoying to *MY* ears
(more annoying than Rudess' over wanking)

if you like.....we can have pt. 2 of our epic PoS debate such as to overshadow the nonsense that Kenneth dragged this thread into.

*wonders if you are the same guy I got into that with and if this was the forum that it happened on*

I actually listened to Images & Words, Awake and A Change yesterday.. I almost shed a tear when thinking of how good those records were. What surprised me the most was how good James´s voice was.. I had totally forgotten. Now he sounds like a nasty ol´ lady.

the greatest irony is that meedly has no argument, but says that i will 'never get it', whilst i have an argument, and say 'he will never get it'.

discussion has been over for several pages. it's a dead horse to be beat at this point. your side (with a few exceptions, and no i mean none of your posts) is too egotistical to even bother talking to. enjoy your ignorance, they do say such things.

And, since I had to go to class, I had to hold off on this important clarification:

Tali you seem to be saying that music is undefinable. If I take what you say to be true, then there is no way anyone can understand music they didn't create. I think we'd all agree that's not the case. We may not be able to easily define in words what music IS, but we can probably agree that we know it when we hear it. In other words, if you call my position subjective and opinion, then likewise you must admit that my opposition is similarly subjective opinion and they cannot be assuredly correct either.

I won't even bother responding to meedly or reide until they come up with something intelligent.

I think "understand" is a misused word there, Kenneth. It's not about understanding the music in Tali's post; rather, it's about know why wanking is included, and only the wanker would know why.

One doesn't need to understand music to enjoy it. Or dislike it. Or get bored with it.

In other words, if you call my position subjective and opinion, then likewise you must admit that my opposition is similarly subjective opinion and they cannot be assuredly correct either.

Your position IS subjective and opinion, that's what I've been saying this whole time. Never once did I say anything to the effect of wankery/abundant technicality being necessary or that it's presence is what makes for good music. I'm not arguing that your opinion is wrong, I'm only pointing out that it is, in fact, an opinion whereas you are trying to argue that your opinion is "right". You are trying to sell off your opinion as an absolute truth and, in doing so, are making yourself look like a pretentious ass.

The fact that I'm not arguing whether or not you are right in saying that technical showoffery (a term that, itself, is an opinion) "adds zero to the musical meaning and thus is extraneous" is not because I don't have an opinion or can't formulate an argument. It's because it is one of the most retarded debates you can possibly have. You can't quantify technicality and therefore you can't say that there is such a thing as too much of it (or too little). I wont even go into how broad the term "technicality" is and that without narrowing down your argument you would essentially be speaking against all music that isn't unintentially lacking in technical proficiency. When it comes down to it, all you ("you" meaning anyone who tries to debate things like this) have is a purely subjective opinion that has absolutely no greater bearing than anyone else's. You have an opinion, I have one, and so does everyone else. Let's take Dream Theater (for example, and coincidently they are the topic of this thread)...they obviously have opinions on what is good music and they voice that opinion by making what they consider to be good music. If you don't like it, then don't listen it. I don't see why it's so hard for musicians and music enthusiasts to just have a "live and let live" attitude towards music. As far as I'm concerned, music is something that should be enjoyed. Different people will enjoy different music on different levels and in different ways.

Here's my point in all this (again): The only argument you have is your opinion. Unless you are ready to come right out and say that your opinion is more valid then anyone else's, then you have no place claiming that those kinds of music (what you consider to be wankery, overly technical, etc.) are somehow deficient in artistic merit, don't have musical value, or (as you implied very clearly) aren't music. Then again, if you ARE claiming that your opinion is more valid than everyone else's, then this discussion is over anyway as it is clear that you have an impenetrable superiority complex.

Dream Theater + Openers = Epic Fail

DREAM THEATER have announced the following tour dates with special guests REDEMPTION and INTO ETERNITY:

July
27 - Gibson Amphitheater - Los Angeles, CA
30 - E Center - Salt Lake City, UT
31 - Paramount Theater - Denver, CO

August
7 - Riverside Theater - Milwaukee, WI
9 - State Theater - Minneapolis, MN
10 - Rosemont Theater - Chicago, IL
11 - Tower City Amphitheater - Cleveland, OH
21 - Bank Of America Pavillion - Boston, MA

Obviously, more are gonna be added, but as much as I like Into Eternity, how do you have an opener for Dream Theater?

get with the program Ptah:mad:

it was posted here already:)

I agree though. I like Redemption and don't mind Into Eternity but I'd prefer a DT-only tour this time around. The exception to this would be back in 03 when I saw them with Queensryche and Fates Warning opening. It'll be great exposure for both Redemption and IE though.

Sorry, I got lost in the evident absence of appreciation for a well written song.

In all honesty, I'm trying to get over it, but the thought that I can't get rid of is the thought that Roadruner'll probably book 'em at a place that they probably can't even fit in like they do for other bands nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.