THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What parts reminded you of Metroid?

I had to listen to the whole damn CD again to find it. It's the intro to ItPoE Pt II with the delay/volume effect on the keyboard, sounds exactly like the Super Metroid title screen with the baby metroid in the jar.

The intro of Forsaken and the middle of ItPoE Pt I have a couple of moments with similar vibes to the music of that game as well.

I had to listen to the whole damn CD again to find it. It's the intro to ItPoE Pt II with the delay/volume effect on the keyboard, sounds exactly like the Super Metroid title screen with the baby metroid in the jar.

Okay, yeah, I hear it now. When Rudess plays that creepy thing over Myung's "ticking clock" bass part. Yeah, it does have that vibe.

WHEEEEEEEEEEY. I wanted to hate this album but the first track is too good, not all of it, in fact i only like about 5 minutes of this album. But when those bits come on they are gettin cranked hard. Namely that bit near the end of Presence of enemies part 1 when everyone just goes nuts.

And why the hell do you people hate the album? It's just as good as everything else they've put out. And ya'll know that, but are to stupid to realize it. stfu.

I like it, although there's nothing really new, it has all been done before on earlier albums.
EJH

I'm really surprised you would say that. Love or hate the album I think it is one of the most unique and inventive albums I have ever heard. To me this doesn't sounds like ANYTHING they have done before really when one focuses on the lyrical content, the thematic material, and the overall mood and atmosphere it presents. (not trying to rip on you, just surprised you would hear this album and think 'it's all been done before'. I can see that coming out of Octavarium, but this one is something new IMHO).

For those who are harping on the idea of DT having too much random wankery and lacking concinnity, I'll mention one caveat. While I agree they do sometimes get wanky for the purpose of being wanky, often times with music of this level of complexity, it actually takes the listener a long time to begin to understand how what sounds like wankery actually makes perfect sense. If you've ever listened to The Rite of Spring, you have a great example there. When I first heard Death of Balance I though... alright guys, its a concept album and you just went off on a tangent. Later I realized... it's THE DEATH OF BALANCE, and it is depicting an event, and from an impressionist standpoint, its perfect in accomplishing just that. So before you go too far condemning any new DT album as non-cohesive, make sure to give it a lot of time and consideration, often times you'll change your mind. Not saying that will necessarily be the case here... but its a phenomenon worth mentioning.

For those who are harping on the idea of DT having too much random wankery and lacking concinnity, I'll mention one caveat. While I agree they do sometimes get wanky for the purpose of being wanky, often times with music of this level of complexity, it actually takes the listener a long time to begin to understand how what sounds like wankery actually makes perfect sense. If you've ever listened to The Rite of Spring, you have a great example there. When I first heard Death of Balance I though... alright guys, its a concept album and you just went off on a tangent. Later I realized... it's THE DEATH OF BALANCE, and it is depicting an event, and from an impressionist standpoint, its perfect in accomplishing just that. So before you go too far condemning any new DT album as non-cohesive, make sure to give it a lot of time and consideration, often times you'll change your mind. Not saying that will necessarily be the case here... but its a phenomenon worth mentioning.

I agree with you on The Death of Balance, but I truly believe some DT songs go off on a wankfest for the sole purpose of wanking. A great example on this new album would be The Ministry of Lost Souls. It's a beautiful song, really, but that four minute instrumental section kills the flavor. It just doesn't fit!

hmmmm. One of the reasons I don't care for this album is that it's not inventive at all. It follows the Dream Theater formula ...

Cool Riff
Repeat 4 or 6 times
Cool Riff
Repeat 4 or 6 times
Stick in random solos that don't follow the rest of the music
Cool Riff
Repeat 4 or 6 times
.... lather, rinse and repeat.

You get the idea. Boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.