THE OFFICIAL DREAM THEATER DISCUSSION THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. Are you sure?

*SPOILERS*

There are lots of DT nuggets - eg short riffs from metropolis and the mirror in 'constant motion'. Also the panic attack riff is played on piano alot in the first song - and that's a song written after the songwriting competition. Plus riffs that sound alot like a riff from ACOS. Oh and also some bass drum/rhythm guitar pattern that sounds like either erotomania or dance of eternity.

Also, the guitar playing is insane, and sounds very much like JP (the pick attack etc). And the piano work is even more insane. The piano breakdown in the first song is pure JR. Unmistakeable. I know the track times don't match up, but there could be explainations for that I think.

I'm pretty convinced this is genuine.

The "Look At Me" is just what DT are about. They are some of the most talented, if not the most talented, musicians in rock/metal on the face of this planet. And, they know it. Being as talented as they are, they tend to take freedoms with it...and deservedly so. DT fans wouldn't have it any other way.
Don't get out much? I shared your view about 6 years ago when DT was the first "prog" band I'd ever heard. They floored me, but then I discovered other bands with as much/more talent and less professed need to wank all over their album, and instead craft masterpieces of music.

The torrent i found had 5 tracks and is titled "Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (Instrumental Demos)"

Track 4 Repentance matches Brain Wherry's Stream Of Consciousness entry.

A topic at VoicesUK also says that this is the SOC contest.

Really, how could a instrumental demo leak? Dream Theater/Roadrunner will most likely make sure the album is kept unleaked for a good while.

The torrent i found had 5 tracks and is titled "Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos (Instrumental Demos)"

Track 4 Repentance matches Brain Wherry's Stream Of Consciousness entry.

A topic at VoicesUK also says that this is the SOC contest.

Really, how could a instrumental demo leak? Dream Theater/Roadrunner will most likely make sure the album is kept unleaked for a good while.

Ah right, well the one I have has 7 tracks. Only the last song is missing.

I think the leak is probably a demo sent to the record company mid recording. That's pretty commonplace if they want to know how the album is going down...particularly with a band that has total creative control (including production).

Don't get out much? I shared your view about 6 years ago when DT was the first "prog" band I'd ever heard. They floored me, but then I discovered other bands with as much/more talent and less professed need to wank all over their album, and instead craft masterpieces of music.
I can't believe I agree with this. I don't know if I've changed for the better or worse. :erk:

I do listen to a lot of other Progressive music, I don't think it's my lack of experience in the genre. I just enjoy the show boating that DT brings because it sounds like they're just jamming together. Not everything a progressive band puts out has to be a masterpiece, whatever happend to having fun with what you're doing?

I do listen to a lot of other Progressive music, I don't think it's my lack of experience in the genre. I just enjoy the show boating that DT brings because it sounds like they're just jamming together. Not everything a progressive band puts out has to be a masterpiece, whatever happend to having fun with what you're doing?

Having fun and jamming are not identical to showboating. You're equivocating here.

Kenneth doesn't like DT - any attempts to make him think otherwise will fail ;)

I could argue because i'm very much into DT and disagree completly.... but i'm not bothered by someone else's opinion - i'll just enjoy what i personally enjoy.

Anyway, Roadrunner has posted this cover which is the official one...
DREA_SC-COVER.jpg

I'm not sure if I like the original one from their MySpace or this one better. The red does make it stick out a lot more though.

Kenneth has obviously never had any great talents in anything that he's wanted to show off.

Next he will most likely say something like, "Yeah showing off once is ok, but every album, come on!"

There's a storm a brewin.

I'm not sure if I like the original one from their MySpace or this one better. The red does make it stick out a lot more though.

Kenneth has obviously never had any great talents in anything that he's wanted to show off.

Next he will most likely say something like, "Yeah showing off once is ok, but every album, come on!"

There's a storm a brewin.
lol.

1. The people harping on me now clearly missed the multiple instances where I claimed to enjoy most of Dream Theater's discography.

2. Showing off just to show off is never ok, in my opinion. It's totally useless musically. It makes you go "wow, you're talented." and then, "ok, so how did that have anything to do with the song?" and/or "great, we know you're talented, so get over it and continue the song, stop stroking your ego."

Status
Not open for further replies.