The Official Good Television Thread

I always watched wrestling in the 90s with my pap and I'm pretty sure I just couldn't realize how stupid it was. And making the undertaker lose to Brock Lesnar was just gay. Why not let him go out to a good guy character like Sheamus instead of a heel? Could have had a big moment with him afterward and it wouldn't have felt so..... dirty. Makes no sense to me at all.
Undertaker gets to decide whether he wins or loses his matches at this point. Word is that he decided sometime in the leadup to the match that his body couldn't handle it and it was time to retire. It was his call and not really a story decision. It's definitely more valuable to WWE to keep Undertaker unbeaten, but he's so respected that he makes the call.

Also, Undertaker is so beloved by the fans that if a good guy beat him he would take a lot of heat over it. Lesnar was the right guy. It would be too much of a burden on an up and comer to take on the streak. Guys like Bray Wyatt and Roman Reigns weren't ready yet.

I haven't watched wrestling since the nWo days, but I don't see how it can be so bad if the storylines/drama is as good as it was during that time or during its heyday in the 80's/early 90's ...

I know one thing though, there are only a few great tv shows out there right now(Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire) ... and Vikings definitely isn't one of them.

I mean, if you're just getting back into it, it's going to take some time to get re-oriented. There's a lot of new talent that may take some time to warm up to. In general, wrestlers are more about skill and athleticism than pure strength. There aren't really any silly supernatural characters, and the ethic stereotypes that used to be prominent are pushed to the background. There's still plenty of silliness that's marketed to the kids, but that's okay. You don't need to be transfixed to the tv for the duration of the show. You can tune in for matches you're interested in, and post on message boards during the kiddie/filler parts.

Check out Daniel Bryan, The Shield, the Wyatts, and Cesaro if you want to see the future. Even unpopular bores like Cena, Orton, Del Rio, and Sheamus put on quality matches.

RVD is back! Goldust is entertaining! There's enough talent to make most of the weekly shows very watchable, especially via DVR. Cutting out commercials and recaps helps a ton..

I haven't watched wrestling since the nWo days, but I don't see how it can be so bad if the storylines/drama is as good as it was during that time or during its heyday in the 80's/early 90's ...

I know one thing though, there are only a few great tv shows out there right now(Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire) ... and Vikings definitely isn't one of them.

I know one thing too, your clearly mistaken. Also, there are some other great shows other than what you've mentioned and Vikings is definitely one of them. It may not be your cup of tea, but imo it is in the elite category for what's out there right now. Intended to be one season and it has really taken off. A third season as mentioned is already in the works. This scenerio and type of success is i believe a first for the History chanel.

My local cable had HBO for free this past weekend and it had GoT running all over and i really wasnt that impressed with what i saw. Maybe ill revisit it sometime cause i really want to like it, but for now Vikings clearly is fitting my epic taste and then some etc.

The character development is becoming flawed to me personally..2 episodes in a row of 48minutes of nothing followed by 3-5 minutes of 'action' ? Ugh don't get it. At least the prior seasons were enjoyable

I think it's very well done, considering they're squeezing astronomical amounts of plot and character into 55-minute episodes.

Character development hasn't waned at all. Those 48 minutes of "nothing" are mostly character development, in fact.

I think it's very well done, considering they're squeezing astronomical amounts of plot and character into 55-minute episodes.

Character development hasn't waned at all. Those 48 minutes of "nothing" are mostly character development, in fact.

rms mad. rms need more action.

My other rms impression: ya, Game of Thrones is a good show and a lot of people like it? Shit show. G.R.R. Martin is just a cash grab cockgrabber, just like Chad Davis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arje's hesitation in the first episode doesn't make sense, the rant from Cerces in this episode is pretty random, the line from Kingslayer is pretty random..the over the top portrayal of Joffrey in this episode is pretty useless..

The 'tension' with Greyjoy and the bastard is just useless if it goes nowhere, sure it etablishes power but that was already evident--clearly.

If they are so worried with time allowance then why are they adding information like the gay whore house party ala last episode? Roommate is a book reader and big fan so I get the extras once and awhile..

Cersei's rant is in response to the new queen exerting her own influence. I have no idea what line from Jaime you're talking about. Joffrey is no more over-the-top than usual (and besides, it's his wedding day).

The domestication of Theon is purposeful.

Who the hell is Arje? If you mean Arya (the Stark girl), I think she hesitated because she's nervous about fighting adult soldiers. That doesn't confuse me in the least.

The character development is becoming flawed to me personally..2 episodes in a row of 48minutes of nothing followed by 3-5 minutes of 'action' ? Ugh don't get it. At least the prior seasons were enjoyable

You're officially the most jaded fuck in existence.

Cersei's rant is in response to the new queen exerting her own influence.
It's clear as day why, i'm not saying I don't understand it, it's just stupid. It's been happening for 5-6 episodes now. Also interested in knowing if that dialogue was even in the books, as well as Jaime's.

I have no idea what line from Jaime you're talking about.
When he talked to the gay guy who's marrying his sister

Joffrey is no more over-the-top than usual (and besides, it's his wedding day).
That's not my point, why have that whole scene with his uncle? It does nothing. No one likes his character, no one doubts how worthless he is, so why have it yet again displayed?

The domestication of Theon is purposeful.

For what? He's been 'domesticated' for like 6 episodes now.

Who the hell is Arje? If you mean Arya (the Stark girl), I think she hesitated because she's nervous about fighting adult soldiers. That doesn't confuse me in the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnsqCyyqvqE

http://youtu.be/gIZ4SF8XTwI?t=4m4s

She has no problems in killing the dude at the end of season 3, but this time around, when she seeks revenge for the guy who killed her friend, she sits and cowers in fear for 2 minutes. Then becomes the girl we already think she should be. It just doesn't make sense.

chewbacca_defense.jpg

I just have to say that I disagree with all these points.

It's clear as day why, i'm not saying I don't understand it, it's just stupid. It's been happening for 5-6 episodes now. Also interested in knowing if that dialogue was even in the books, as well as Jaime's.

I can't remember. It boils over on the day of the wedding; why wouldn't it??? She is, officially, no longer the queen. This marks the moment. She's finally realizing that.

When he talked to the gay guy who's marrying his sister

That conversation was awesome. I don't know what you're complaining about.

That's not my point, why have that whole scene with his uncle? It does nothing. No one likes his character, no one doubts how worthless he is, so why have it yet again displayed?

Because it builds up to his death. Again, I have no idea what you're complaining about.

For what? He's been 'domesticated' for like 6 episodes now.

No, he hasn't. He's been tortured for six episodes. That process has been building up to his domestication, which we see once he admits his name is "Reek," which only happened at the very end of last season.

She has no problems in killing the dude at the end of season 3, but this time around, when she seeks revenge for the guy who killed her friend, she sits and cowers in fear for 2 minutes. Then becomes the girl we already think she should be. It just doesn't make sense.

Yes it does. The Hound tells her after that scene to let him know if she's going to do something like that again. In the recent scene, she waits for the Hound to make the first move. Part of her seems fascinated to watch him kick six different guys' asses, and part of her wants to make sure she has no one left to prevent her sticking Needle through that guy's throat. Nothing about that scene is confusing. I don't agree with your criticisms.

But if it detracts from your enjoyment, then that's your problem.

I can't remember. It boils over on the day of the wedding; why wouldn't it??? She is, officially, no longer the queen. This marks the moment. She's finally realizing that.
Hasn't she not been the queen since Joffrey was named King? She also lost all her power once her father returned...but I guess you're OK with her still battling with Margaery for the next 3 seasons then we are just different. It might have made more sense if Margaery was exerting tons of power and influence, but she was just her usual help the poor kind of gal..

That conversation was awesome. I don't know what you're complaining about.
Didn't his father tell Cercei that they are getting married, and not like that guy "swooned" her? The dude is gay anyways isn't he? Not like he's excited about it.

Because it builds up to his death. Again, I have no idea what you're complaining about.
Not sure that anything would have been different if he just finished watching the midget play and then ate something and died, but the idea of Tyrion killing him is so dumb anyways, let's hope the rest of the season doesn't follow him going through jail/litigations or whatever might happen.

No, he hasn't. He's been tortured for six episodes. That process has been building up to his domestication, which we see once he admits his name is "Reek," which only happened at the very end of last season.
It's obvious he was being domesticated or else he would have been killed. The scene running the forest after the fat girl was pretty weird anyways, just watching a ball-less man run for 2 minutes, don't really get the point of that.

Yes it does. The Hound tells her after that scene to let him know if she's going to do something like that again. In the recent scene, she waits for the Hound to make the first move. Part of her seems fascinated to watch him kick six different guys' asses, and part of her wants to make sure she has no one left to prevent her sticking Needle through that guy's throat. Nothing about that scene is confusing. I don't agree with your criticisms.

If you say moving into a corner to watch is fascinating to her then I guess we just fundamentally disagree on what her character did. Why wouldn't she help? She obviously has a bond with the Hound and wouldn't just let him die, which was pretty damn borderline in about half of the fighting scene.

so has anybody checked out Silicon Valley, the new show from Mike Judge? I watched the first two episodes and thought it was fairly clever. I'm not 100% hooked yet though