The Official Good Television Thread

Some cool horse murders in the most recent Hannibal episode. I like the strange friendship they're developing as well.

Holy shit did anybody watch the premiere of Fargo? Goddamn was it good

I downloaded it, might watch it tonight. Haven't seen previews or anything for it.

Just finished Treme, Simon adds to his collection of great shows. Wish I could check out Homicide somehow. Highly recommended for anyone who likes Social Dramas.

Holy shit did anybody watch the premiere of Fargo? Goddamn was it good

Do you know what relation the show has to the film? I confused Bilbo Baggins with H. Macy until I realized they had different first names, but now I guess it's just a mystery plot with no relevance to the film? The ending was all right(EP1), but the first 45minutes or so was incredibly awkward..

Just finished Treme, Simon adds to his collection of great shows. Wish I could check out Homicide somehow. Highly recommended for anyone who likes Social Dramas.
Homicide does some things well, but at times it's a slog. It has not aged particularly well, imo, having a cheapness and grittiness (some might say realism) that makes the show look older than it actually is. The detective duos work case-of-the-week material with multi-episode arcs mixed in, which rewards viewers who tune in every week, but still allows for some resolution at the end of each hour. If you read Simon's Homicide book, you will see most of the murders in that represented on the show, which gives it a great blend of dark humor, cynicism, and the type of institutional commentary found on The Wire. They tap that well dry by the third season. Simon seemed to have relatively little control over the show other that the scripts he wrote. The show gets quite a bit worse over time, but I would recommend the first two seasons. YMMV after that. (Terrific credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7ALBb4MSc) I actually think the better seasons of Law & Order are more enjoyable for the most part. Read Homicide and watch the HBO miniseries The Corner for better David Simon visions.

Do you know what relation the show has to the film? I confused Bilbo Baggins with H. Macy until I realized they had different first names, but now I guess it's just a mystery plot with no relevance to the film? The ending was all right(EP1), but the first 45minutes or so was incredibly awkward..
From what I understand it takes place in the same universe as Fargo, and there are some easter eggs coming up that call back to it. Obviously, with the film set when it was and the show set shortly before the present day, there's a lot of time separating events, so very little storytelling or character overlap between the two. I'm really enjoying it so far, in spite of minimal recollection of the film.

Hah, thought i was the only one watching. Yes, this season of Vikings was great! The finale was off the charts...totally full of deception, betrayal and damning of the Gods lol!

I think it's just supposed to take place in the same universe with some of the characters being loosely related to those from the film (it's been a while since I've seen the film). However, I think they really nailed The Coen Brothers' style in terms of tense situations and incredibly dark humor

Anyone watching Review with Forrest Macneil? I haven't seen the original Australian version, but the US version is easily one of the funniest things on TV right now. I really hope it doesn't get cancelled.

I've got to admit, Vikings really stepped it up, much better than last season .. especially the last few episodes. The only real good episode from S1 was Ragnar vs Heraldson, but this year we had a few strong episodes.

Is it worth watching all the bad episodes to catch up? I liked the first episode. Then they lost me by like episode 3. But I'll watch the rest if it's that good now.

Anyone watching Mad Men? This split season feels like an awful decision. I still enjoy it very much, but the scheduling is hindering it in a big way.

Louie is back. Spotty first few episodes, I feel. It's even less funny than previous years, too. Still the best shot and scored show on TV by miles, even when it's not quite clicking. One thing I caught on 2nd viewing is that you can apparently say "fucked" (as in intercourse) on basic cable at 10/9c time slot in America now.

Is it worth watching all the bad episodes to catch up? I liked the first episode. Then they lost me by like episode 3. But I'll watch the rest if it's that good now.

Yea, it really picks up after the halfway mark. I was about to stop watching after the first few episodes of this season too, but i'm glad i stuck through it though ... the finale was pretty awesome.

I really want to watch Hannibal from the beginning, but i dont think CBS reruns the episodes, so i guess im going to have to wait till i can find the Blu-Rays for a good price.

Yea, it really picks up after the halfway mark. I was about to stop watching after the first few episodes of this season too, but i'm glad i stuck through it though ... the finale was pretty awesome.

I really want to watch Hannibal from the beginning, but i dont think CBS reruns the episodes, so i guess im going to have to wait till i can find the Blu-Rays for a good price.

Are you opposed to watching it illegally on thar intraweb? I've got several links for you if not